09-13-07, 11:24 AM   #1
Rabscuttle of Executus
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Dragable map from inside minimap frame

Hello,

My idea for an addon is this: Allowing the user to drag around the map of the minimap frame (not the minimap frame itself). To elaborate, the user would be able to click inside the minimap frame and drag around the map to view other areas of the map the player is not currently on. Think google maps.

Ideally, this would be an adjustment to the default blizzard minimap frame. Altough if necessary, a new minimap frame could be designed.

I would like to do the coding myself, but have only ever written a single addon, and a simple one at that. This could be to advanced for a novice like me. But if there is anything that could be used as a reference that someone like me could understand, I would be glad if anyone could mention it.

Otherwise, does anyone like this idea and would like to implement it?

I'm thinking that if a brand new minimap frame would have to be created, that it could be a rectangular shape. Think two typical square minimaps side by side.

So this is my idea/goal. What do you think?

Edit: Perhaps adding dragging functionality to the worldmap would be easier? If so then in combination with alphamap (which can enable the world map to be viewed all the time and allows scalling of the world map) this could be doable.

Last edited by Rabscuttle of Executus : 09-13-07 at 11:27 AM.
09-13-07, 12:32 PM   #2
robthedude
Don't Panic

Hmmm, well, you couldn't do that to the default minimap, but it could be possible to layer another minimap over the top and show it when you click and drag...

aternatively - Yatlas

09-13-07, 01:37 PM   #3
Rabscuttle of Executus
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Would you mind posting the reason here (of why one couldn't do that to the minimap)? I'd like to know. Thanks .
09-13-07, 02:24 PM   #4
robthedude
Don't Panic

Originally Posted by Rabscuttle of Executus
Would you mind posting the reason here (of why one couldn't do that to the minimap)? I'd like to know. Thanks .
sure - blizz won't let you. The minimap, and anything in the game world (terrain, models) can't be changed, as often it would give an unfair advantage. there are some addons that can add icons to the minimap, but these are overlaid on top of the minimap texture. thus why I suggested overlaying it, so it gives the appearance of dragging it around without actually doing that at all.

edit: must remember to copy/paste this into a text file for future use...

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Dragable map from inside minimap frame