12-04-07, 02:10 AM   #1
Julith
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
UI compilations and "copyright"

This is not really about copyright, I just couldn't find a better name.

I'm a author of two little mods and of course I like seeing them spread around and of course I'm also happy if they find a place in some UI (addon) compilations of other people. The only things which bothers me a little is that I never get informed if they land in some others compilations. If I would publish some others addon in any way I would at least give him a note about it.
It's not about the power of saying "you can use it and you not", it's about keeping track how the own work spreads around.

I don't want to blame anyone, as I said I'm happy if my addons get spread around, even if I don't know about it (but I would be even happier if I would know about it ).

What does other authors think about this?
How does other compilation-authors handle this?

Last edited by Julith : 12-04-07 at 02:17 AM. Reason: It's not really about copyright
12-04-07, 04:53 AM   #2
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Put a note in your license that you wish to be informed if it's used in a compilation, and where to contact you.
12-04-07, 04:55 AM   #3
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'd suggest putting a little note in your add-ons that might get their attention, like "Compilation Authors Please Read!.txt". In it, you could just say that it's well within your rights to not have your add-ons redistributed, but you have no problem with it if they simply send you an e-mail when they decide to include it. Perhaps also include such a message on your main download pages. I'm sure that they'd be more than happy to do so if they knew it was important to you.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » UI compilations and copyright