08-02-08, 07:13 AM   #1
Voorije
Premium Member
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation [BUG] (Possible) Opera 9.50 & WoWI

First let me start off that I'm not 100% sure this is an issue on WoWI's end, but I felt it noteworthy in the interests of general improvement.

I use Opera 9.50 as my primary browser and I've noticed that just about any page on WoWI can trigger a memory leak & 100% CPU situation with the application.

I know this is fully possible that it's a bug with OPERA and not WoWI, however as this bug is not present on every page I visit, It felt prudent to inform you all.

It is (from my experience with it) my belief that this bug is in relation to javascript. I've noticed sites/pages with heavy javascript have the tendency to trigger this effect. (Wowwiki has been known to cause it too ever since they added thier new side-menus and javascript enabled features)

To rule out any client-side malware and the such, let it be noted this bug persists across two different computers, one of which is a rather fresh install of windows. One on Vista and one on XP.

It seems virtually any page on WoWI can trigger it, however it's not always triggered by visiting.

Pages I've visited that have triggered it:

-This page (posting here)
-SVN "Create a Zip File" page
-Project Edit Page

Closing WoWI Tabs causes the leak to vanish and the cpu usage to return to normal.

Anyway, hopefully this is just a bug in Opera and is fixed soon, if not I don't know how usefull this is to you but i felt i should let you know.
08-02-08, 07:52 AM   #2
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I was having issues with the flash media on the site which may be related. I installed NoScript on my Firefox browser and it's been working fine. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent plugin for Opera or something in settings but hope this gives you some info for a troubleshooting starting point.
08-02-08, 01:00 PM   #3
Voorije
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by erica647 View Post
I was having issues with the flash media on the site which may be related. I installed NoScript on my Firefox browser and it's been working fine. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent plugin for Opera or something in settings but hope this gives you some info for a troubleshooting starting point.
It's actually Built into Opera in a more manual form.

------------

Additional Information:

It seems that pages that cause this problem do not "complete" (i.e. i have a stop icon instead of a refresh icon)

This probably implies that there's a task the browser is still trying to complete.

Seems to be pretty random...

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17491 - This page caused the bug
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=17502 - This one didn't (just now, but has in the past)

------

BTW: Here's a pic

http://images.reanmachine.com/Opera951-MemoryLeak.png

Last edited by Voorije : 08-02-08 at 01:18 PM.
08-03-08, 12:00 AM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Thanks Voorije, I have not experienced this with my opera vista64 install but will test things out to see if I can reproduce any time of memory leak. If I find a problem I will let you know.

erica647 your issue doesn't sound related as I can see the OP is blocking our ads and thats really the only thing on the site that uses flash. Maybe try re-installing the latest version of adobe flash? If it happens again take note of the flash ad that is showing at the time. Maybe our ad provider has a bad ad. However the latest Flash client should try and prevent flash that would peg your cpu or eat your memory.
08-03-08, 08:42 AM   #5
erica647
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Thanks for the response Dolby! I completely uninstalled my shockwave and flash players and then just reinstalled the latest flash player... not really sure I even need shockwave player now anyway. I'll post again if I still see that error.
08-03-08, 02:24 PM   #6
Voorije
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Thanks Voorije, I have not experienced this with my opera vista64 install but will test things out to see if I can reproduce any time of memory leak. If I find a problem I will let you know.

erica647 your issue doesn't sound related as I can see the OP is blocking our ads and thats really the only thing on the site that uses flash. Maybe try re-installing the latest version of adobe flash? If it happens again take note of the flash ad that is showing at the time. Maybe our ad provider has a bad ad. However the latest Flash client should try and prevent flash that would peg your cpu or eat your memory.
Sorry, I'm running 32bit Business Edition

Additionally it's Opera 9.51 (Latest from thier website). If i get more information I'll let you know. I've also submitted this bug to Opera along with the picture above.

Also, I've blocked all your "ads" (sorry) using the block-content feature of opera and the problem still persistss, so it's not likely to be content pushed by your advertizement service.
08-03-08, 02:31 PM   #7
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Voorije View Post
Also, I've blocked all your "ads" (sorry) using the block-content feature of opera and the problem still persistss, so it's not likely to be content pushed by your advertizement service.
I directed the line about the ads to the other person having issues. Not you. I could see you've blocked ads so I understand that's not the problem.

I'll try installing opera on my laptop as its running the same OS as you and see if I experience the same issue.

Edit: One question, do you hang out on the community tab for long periods of time? There is one flash file there from Blizzard for Jobs that doesnt use our ad system, its just hard coded.

Last edited by Dolby : 08-03-08 at 02:39 PM.
08-03-08, 02:49 PM   #8
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
How long does it take for it to happen on our site normally?

Also does it happen on wowhead.com? That site is what I would call having heavy use of java script.
08-04-08, 12:54 AM   #9
Voorije
Premium Member
Premium Member
Edit: One question, do you hang out on the community tab for long periods of time? There is one flash file there from Blizzard for Jobs that doesnt use our ad system, its just hard coded.
I'm usually never there except as a way to quickly access "my addons".

How long does it take for it to happen on our site normally?

Also does it happen on wowhead.com? That site is what I would call having heavy use of java script.
It's usually instant, as soon as i load a page that triggers it i get an instant performance drop and i can see memory climbing at about 600kb-1.5mb every task manager update.

I've never noticed this occur at wowhead.com before, but it used to happen at wowwiki.

I also busted out my screen recording software today to try and capture the action on video for you, but the bug didn't seem to want to surface, even with 12 tabs open and myself zooming around to virtually every page i could.

It's one of those utter jackassery bugs that are hard to reproduce.

Like I said originally it's entirely possible this is an opera issue and not a wowi issue. I'll continue to perodically attempt to catch this on video for you.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » [BUG] (Possible) Opera 9.50 & WoWI