10-20-05, 09:11 AM   #1
Ryyma
A Defias Bandit
Insomniax Recompilation :( :( :(

I don't like anything else I have downloaded. They either lag my game or I just don't like the layout. Insomniax Recompilation is freaking awesome, is the creater even planning on updateing it?

If not what are some things I can download to make my game a lil more like how it was. I liked how my actionbars (I think thats what they are called, what all my spell are in). were. I had like 3 or 4 open and made the rest invisible. Thats my biggest request.
10-20-05, 10:55 AM   #2
chaosportal
A Defias Bandit
I have been a user of the Insomniax Compliation for several months and I really believe it was the best UI compilation out there. Unfortunately it seems that the folks that work on Insomniax are just not able to keep up with the demands of keeping the compilation current.

I finally made the decision to switch to a new compilation and I think i've found a REALLY nice one that has most of the features Insomniax has/had and a few more that are useful as well.

I would like to direct your attention to the Bozz UI.

You can get it at http://www.wowinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=4215

If you like Insomniax, you'll love Bozz !
10-20-05, 11:33 AM   #3
dorkino
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Ryyma
I don't like anything else I have downloaded. They either lag my game or I just don't like the layout. Insomniax Recompilation is freaking awesome, is the creater even planning on updateing it?

If not what are some things I can download to make my game a lil more like how it was. I liked how my actionbars (I think thats what they are called, what all my spell are in). were. I had like 3 or 4 open and made the rest invisible. Thats my biggest request.
It sounds to me like your #1 concern is getting those toolbars back you are used to. Well you're in luck - the bars are called Bib Toolbars and the author of that addon is a featured author here on this site. Just go to the Downloads section and you'll see a link for "BibMod".

I, too, used Insomniax up until a major patch completely destroyed it and the guys who are responsible for maintaining Insomniax seemed to take too long to rectify the issues. You can't really blame them, though, because they are really just doing what many of the rest of us who do not use compilations are doing: grabbing various add-ons from different places (wowinterface.com, curse-gaming.com, ui.worldofwar.net, ctmod.net, wowwiki.com, etc), and then getting them all working together. What sets "UI interfaces" such as Insomniax, Nurfed, etc., apart is once those guys get everything working they stamp a name on the collection and call it their own. To their credit, they also do tend to get into the code in some places and maybe change a few things around that they didn't like about the original code... I know insomniax changed the CT_Unitframes code a bit to switch the %health and %mana with the ##/##, and they also provided prettier Bib toolbar menu bar icons, added some minimap icons, etc.

Other add-ons that you might have been used to from Insomniax are the CTMod addons, which are available at ctmod.net (some are here too, but I'm not sure how often they are updated). Any "KC" addons such as KC_EnhancedTradeskills can be found on this site, as "KC" is also a featured author here. You'll find all the "KC" mods in the Downloads section under "Kael Cycle mods".

Any Ace related add-ons can also be found here in the downloads section. You'll need to download Ace, and then grab whatever add-ons you feel are useful to you.

The Auctioneer/Informant/Enchantrix mods can be found @ norganna.org.

Anything else you're missing, such as Scrolling Combat Text, spell alert, AF tooltip, CastingBar, CastingTime, CooldownCount, Sea, MyAddons, and the great Titan bar, can all be had at curse-gaming.com.

This method of piecing together add-ons yourself may sound a bit overwhelming at first, but the rewards are well worth it IMO. First, and most importantly, when you are in control of your own add-ons, you are able to get back into the game after a major WoW patch in significantly less time than you would while waiting on a compilation to release an update (sometimes takes weeks, if at all). Another benefit is there are literally thousands of add-ons available, so once you get comfortable with searching/downloading/installing individual add-ons yourself, you open the door to a whole new world of functionality. Also, unlike compilations which are released infrequently, managing your own add-ons lets you take advantage of new functionality and bugfixes as they become available from the individual add-on authors.

Last edited by dorkino : 10-20-05 at 11:44 AM.
10-20-05, 03:55 PM   #4
Ryyma
A Defias Bandit
Whoa thanks alot guys. I downloaded the Boss UI and there is alot of crap on there I don't like/need. But it is pretty good. Not as good as Insomniax was. I think I will try to put together my own setup, I only need a few things. I mostly wanted the toolbars, gatherer, ctmod. atleast i think thats it. Alot of the compilations had stuff like autobuff and that was annoying as hell.

Thanks alot guys.
10-25-05, 11:09 PM   #5
crazyorse
A Kobold Labourer
Smile

Lots of good info there Dorkino. Thanks
10-26-05, 01:21 AM   #6
SileNTReApR
A Kobold Labourer
I believe it's taking a long time because Led has to wait for the updates for every individual mod in the recompilation first before he can make adjustments to them and update the compilation
10-26-05, 08:12 AM   #7
Wortt
A Kobold Labourer
Not sure that holds true. A lot of the other compilations use the exact same addons as Insomniax, and you will notice, they are updated.

Makes one wonder!
10-26-05, 09:02 AM   #8
Teerameesu
A Defias Bandit
Give him some time

I have been using Insomniax since July and it's always been well maintained. The 1.8 patch has only been out for a short time, and Led had the fixes for 1.7 out right after the release. I can only guess, but maybe he has had some real life issues that are getting in the way of getting the Insomniax 1.8versions out. In the mean time - be patient... It will be worth it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Insomniax Recompilation :( :( :(