03-13-13, 07:41 PM   #1
Vaengence
A Murloc Raider
Addon Request

I am looking for someone to create an addon for me that will take a bit of dicussion and time to organise and test and consequently I am happy wherever possible to make recompense for your time (maybe codes for in game items etc).

It needs to have separate functionality for raid leaders and raid members, 25 man raids primarily, be able to communicate between those people with the addon (much like EPGP Loot Master) and if possible go so far as to react to certain events during the raid (not boss mechanics like a boss mod addon).

The details are quite long, and personalised for our guild so I do not want to post the entire request in this message, however if anyone has some patience and the time free and has such experience with making addons similar to the ones above, could you message me and I will send through exactly what it is I want it to do.

In the end, I am more than happy for you to release it as a mod for others to do as well, I just specifically want it tailored to our guild requirements is all. I have spent some time searching and have not been able to find a mod that does what we want.

Any help is appreciated.

03-13-13, 08:47 PM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you're serious about finding someone to help you, you should really just describe what you want the addon to do. Otherwise, if anyone even PMs you at all, you're going to end up just copying and pasting the same description to each of them. You're much more likely to generate interest if you actually say what you want, instead of asking people do this annoying dance of "my idea is too secret/complicated/special/whatever to say in public, please PM me if you're interested in my MYSTERY PROJECT!".

03-13-13, 08:59 PM   #3
Vaengence
A Murloc Raider
The thing is, I have always been the kind of person who is happy to pay for a service. I am not really looking just for generosity of time. It is also, and it relates to the above, something that I cam going to have to communicate a lot with the person doing it because I want it to be very specific in how I want it designed.

I have not requested this kind of service before, however I have never required to be exact in the request as it has always been only those interested or available that required those details. Consequently I did not think it either appropriate or necessary to include them in seeking the interest of a person.

I put in the general ideas of what kind of mod I need it to do to give an indication of what experience is necessary and I am not looking to message a person just so they can see what it is - the idea is if someone is available and wants to design a mod, for whatever recompense is agreeable, then I open a dialogue with them directly as to what I want the mod to do. I will also need to have a discussion about what may or may not be possible in relation to the design of the mod. I do not wish to have this conversation, in posts on a generic forum, so sorry if that offends you. Clearly you are not interested in the request - I am curious as to why the desire to respond to the post if you have no interest in it.

03-13-13, 10:18 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

Well, as it stands, nobody has any interest in it, because all you've said is that you want it to do "something" differently for raid leaders vs raid members, and you want it to do "something" in response to "some events". That's about as vague and meaningless as you can be without being Deepak Chopra Jr.

This is a hobby community, not a freelance job board. You can't just post "I want to hire a programmer" here, because nobody is here looking to get hired for a $50 freelance project, and most people here are not professional programmers. It really does matter whether your project is something an amateur addon author can put together over the weekend, or something that will take a professional programmer weeks of coding and testing.

What would you say to someone who PMed you saying "I'm a programmer, I want to start on your project, tell me what I'm coding?" Why not just say it on the forums so nobody has to waste their time PMing you to get the same answer? Why are you willing to have this conversation via PM or email, but not on a "generic forum"? The whole point of a community forum like this is that everyone can participate and contribute. Maybe you mistook this site for Monster.com or whatever the big-name job site is these days?

Finally, 99% of the time when someone posts a vague "I have an awesome idea, please PM me to find out what it is", it turns out to be something that isn't even possible in the first place.

Last edited by Phanx : 03-13-13 at 10:21 PM.

03-13-13, 10:37 PM   #5
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't think that's the case here.

OP is not being secretive in fear of someone stealing his addon idea.

He's after a guild or raid management related addon from what I can guess and needs one tailored to a specific set of rules.
There's a bunch of addons (more on Curse than here) that are variants of suicide kings, zero-sum, loot council, epgp etc and more are popping up all the time

It seems even with the multitude of options there's still communities that want one tailored "just so".

That said, I will agree with Phanx that you'll have more chance of getting some meaningful response if you post at least a few more details on purpose / scope / research into existing addons you've already done and what they're missing.

If my guess is correct and you're after a loot management addon I'd suggest taking a look at the (GuildLaunch adopted) DKPMon addon and plugins.

Requesting a plugin for it will probably be alot less work than writing something from scratch (and honestly if you don't have a coder in your guild / alliance it's unlikely for an author to take upon themselves a big project they have no vested interest in, incentives or not )

03-13-13, 10:44 PM   #6
Vaengence
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
I don't think that's the case here.

OP is not being secretive in fear of someone stealing his addon idea.

He's after a guild or raid management related addon from what I can guess and needs one tailored to a specific set of rules.
There's a bunch of addons (more on Curse than here) that are variants of suicide kings, zero-sum, loot council, epgp etc and more are popping up all the time

It seems even with the multitude of options there's still communities that want one tailored "just so".

That said, I will agree with Phanx that you'll have more chance of getting some meaningful response if you post at least a few more details on purpose / scope / research into existing addons you've already done and what they're missing.

If my guess is correct and you're after a loot management addon I'd suggest taking a look at the (GuildLaunch adopted) DKPMon addon and plugins.

Requesting a plugin for it will probably be alot less work than writing something from scratch (and honestly if you don't have a coder in your guild / alliance it's unlikely for an author to take upon themselves a big project they have no vested interest in, incentives or not )
My post above was made before I saw yours. And in a sense yes but not exactly. We have 40+ people that we need to slot in raiding slots in a single raid. I need a mod that will make the arrangements of sitting, including, notifying people of kills, requesting responses to available slots, notifications for sitting when required, inviting people from the list, organising raid frames (if possible I am not sure) as well as developing the UI itself which will have differing behaviour dependant on which position you are using it on.

03-13-13, 10:41 PM   #7
Vaengence
A Murloc Raider
The thing is I made it clear in the first post I am intending to pay for the time of the services. I do not want to advertise how much - I was intentionally making the post vague to reduce the potential for people trying to scam me knowing that I am going to be paying money.

I do not know exactly how much that will be because it will depend on how much is actually involved and how much can be done.

You seem to be under the mistake impression - probably because you do this for free - that I am seeking interest from people solely on the basis of volunteer interest for a mod they might like to do. That is not the intention. I do not give a flying monkey if it is something that you may like to develop yourself =- because I am paying you to do so. It is a job advert for the addon and one where interest from people simply because they like the idea is inconsequential and has no place in this request. I do not CARE if you do not like the idea, I will be paying you to do it.

As I said previously, clearly you have no interest in taking the job on, which is fine, but your posts are neither helpful nor informative. If you have no interest in taking the job on then ignoring the thread is a more appropriate response than jumping in and posting how much you do not like my post. Yay for you.

And I specifically do not want to have this discussion on the a public forum. I have no interest in your community, or the community here. I was offering a paid opportunity to develop a mod - after which to comply with the UI policy you can make it freely available - and considering there must be some peopel here with skills who may be short on money this alone should make it an interesting proposition.

As for your suggestion of a $50 freelance project that was considerably less than I was willing to pay. The last job I had someone do WoW related I paid $500.00 and to be frank, I am happy to go that high again if it is complicated.

And yes it may well be that part of what I want to do is not possible. I have already found out that most of what I want to do is. If no one is interested here, I will simply go somewhere else, this site seemed like a logical place to find an appropriate person, but it certainly isn't the last.

Incidentally, the original request and my response were not rude in any way. Your responses however, seem to suggest that this "community" you speak of here is not the kind of community that would be friendly or open in any way and to be honest, I think I would prefer taking it elsewhere anyway if the only people wanting to respond, do so with the intention of being *******s. Great community representation.

03-13-13, 10:53 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Vaengence View Post
Incidentally, the original request and my response were not rude in any way. Your responses however, seem to suggest that this "community" you speak of here is not the kind of community that would be friendly or open in any way and to be honest, I think I would prefer taking it elsewhere anyway if the only people wanting to respond, do so with the intention of being *******s. Great community representation.
Please do not mistake the comments of a single user on the site as being representative of the entire user community or of the actual staff and volunteers. I am sorry that you haven't had more responses to your thread as of yet, and that a couple of the ones you have received have been so negative.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-13-13 at 10:59 PM.

03-14-13, 02:55 PM   #9
Spiderkeg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Well, as it stands, nobody has any interest in it, because all you've said is that you want it to do "something" differently for raid leaders vs raid members, and you want it to do "something" in response to "some events". That's about as vague and meaningless as you can be without being Deepak Chopra Jr.

This is a hobby community, not a freelance job board. You can't just post "I want to hire a programmer" here, because nobody is here looking to get hired for a $50 freelance project, and most people here are not professional programmers. It really does matter whether your project is something an amateur addon author can put together over the weekend, or something that will take a professional programmer weeks of coding and testing.

What would you say to someone who PMed you saying "I'm a programmer, I want to start on your project, tell me what I'm coding?" Why not just say it on the forums so nobody has to waste their time PMing you to get the same answer? Why are you willing to have this conversation via PM or email, but not on a "generic forum"? The whole point of a community forum like this is that everyone can participate and contribute. Maybe you mistook this site for Monster.com or whatever the big-name job site is these days?

Finally, 99% of the time when someone posts a vague "I have an awesome idea, please PM me to find out what it is", it turns out to be something that isn't even possible in the first place.
I couldn't help but notice this post is brimming with negativity and is hardly "helpful" for a community of participation. I don't see anything useful, here.

Try going to: http://www.freelancer.com

If you're willing to pay someone to write an addon you might get lucky and find someone on that site who will do the work.

03-14-13, 04:28 PM   #10
10leej
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Spiderkeg View Post
If you're willing to pay someone to write an addon you might get lucky and find someone on that site who will do the work.
The problem with hiring a professional programming is that you would have to continue to pay him to keep the addon maintained unless he doesn't put a restrictive license to it. Unless of course you get lucky and the programming is an avid WoW player/fan.

03-14-13, 06:01 PM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Spiderkeg View Post
I couldn't help but notice this post is brimming with negativity and is hardly "helpful" for a community of participation. I don't see anything useful, here.

Try going to: http://www.freelancer.com

And again I say (although to a different person this time), please do not mistake the comments of a single user on the site as being representative of the entire user community or of the actual staff and volunteers.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Addon Request