Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
05-09-09, 09:10 PM   #11
lilsparky
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by bknab View Post
This is one of the misconceptions that was brought up by a few people earlier in the thread, namely Lykofos, if I recall. There is absolutely no need to update your AddOns every day.

Why would you update if it's working properly and you have no errors?

new features, compatibility with other versions of the same mod.

it's not like wm was using the wowace svn to grab every single update. given the drag it is to actually upload a new mod manually, i kind of doubt people bother posting new versions of their mods unless they're significantly different.

now maybe there's some significant overhead in checking to see if there's a new version, but that would only be if curse and wowi were trying to avoid deeplinking by shuffling things around so that you had to do some scraping to find stuff. (this is where the wowm claim that they proposed a system to avoid extra traffic rings true to me -- basically saying throw all the mods in one spot so we don't have to churn pages just to tell somebody they're up to date). in a purely co-operative environment, all the wm client would need to do is check with the wm server for the which versions were the latest and where they were located. the server would be notified on new files being uploaded (a la the way wowace pushes to curse). not saying wowi or curse should have felt obliged to play ball or anything, but just that the update traffic doesn't HAVE to be insane.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WowMatrix Responds!