Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
11-19-11, 08:05 PM   #1
Ither
A Firelord

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lost German Nationality -- a fight with the consulate

I had a REALLY good job offer with BioWare-Ireland, however because I do not hold a German passport anymore I am forced to get a work permit; and...in Ireland that means BioWare is required to pay an "X" amount of euro to the government in order for me to come into the country and work.

They didn't like that nor having to call me and say "Sorry, we truly wanted you to join us but we were unable to get the approvals from our corporate office to fund the required fees to the Ireland government." I even pleaded that they take it out of my salary, I didn't care, I had plenty of savings to cover me for a few years. I just wanted to be back in Ireland with all my friends.

So, yesterday I hired a Canadian-based law firm to assist me with regaining my German nationality. Apparently they deal with this a lot pertaining to Canadians who end up losing their nationality because they claim Canada.

Now according to law changes, they are saying I am unable to regain my nationality because I chose to enter a foreign military with intention of denationalizing myself.

This really sucks.

A German national who applies for and receives a foreign nationality (except the nationality of one of the EU Member States or Switzerland) loses his/her German nationality. The only way of preventing the loss of German citizenship is if the applicant obtained permission to retain the nationality by the German authorities prior to acquiring the foreign nationality.
The US Consulate never told me I had to obtain permission from Germany when they handed me the papers and said "sign here sir, you've completed the requirements of your military obligation and we are pleased to award you with full Citizenship in the United States of America".

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Lost German Nationality -- a fight with the consulate