Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
09-10-12, 06:25 PM   #20
OrlyYarly
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by jc2470 View Post
if they wish to discontinue the project, it is there right and it doesnt give anyone else the authority to pick it up and start modding it
But someone would. The catch 22 of making something so useful that should you decide to stop making it and be selfish by not allowing the community to run with it when you no longer want to, someone will anyway. They could yank it off the web tomorrow and I guarantee it would pop up again by someone else. This happens time and time again for software.

I can only imagine how much work it would take to maintain such a large addon as Carbonite, and the time necessary to go through and resolve outstanding bugs. Especially if you no longer play the game. With that in mind, what's the point of not letting someone help you? What's the point of not appreciating (versus resenting) that someone kept people interested in your addon while you neglected it versus them finding replacements and no longer using what you put so much of your time into making great?

I'm curious if the only reason the original author came back is due to seeing Rythal's name associated with it on a web site noting alternatives..

Originally Posted by jc2470 View Post
I for one and am glad developers have patched it.
Unfortunately patching and fixing are two different things. No reason presently to stop using the fan update. It works. Better than the official 'fix' apparently.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » I'm no longer supporting this add-on