Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
05-16-13, 08:01 PM   #1
Clamsoda
A Frostmaul Preserver
Responsiveness of Health and Power Tags

Good evening,

Today's raid was re-scheduled, so I decided to use some of my time to work on a few AddOns. Specifically, I was concerned with the responsiveness of my oUF layout's health and power tags. I use a frequentUpdates value of 0.1, and I was still noticing a significant delay between health or power changing, and the tag reflecting that.

To make sure that I wasn't improperly setting the frequentUpdates value, I went into tags.lua and FORCED the timer to be 0.1, and later 0.001, only to see no change.

I decided to try to add UNIT_HEALTH_FREQUENT and UNIT_POWER_FREQUENT to the tags that I was using, and voila, they were updating as fast as ever.
(This was more or less an epiphany as I was reading through tags.lua)

If the health and power tags may only depend on the slower UNIT_HEALTH, and UNIT_POWER tags, then no matter how quickly the OnUpdate function runs, it will still have to wait for that new information to reflect it.

Not sure if this is helpful at all for the developers, but it gave me the desired result.

Last edited by Clamsoda : 05-16-13 at 08:11 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » Responsiveness of Health and Power Tags