11-11-08, 07:00 AM   #1
Taralack
A Murloc Raider

Help exporting UI settings

Hi all,
I've recently wanted to export my UI for others to use, but have no idea how to go about doing so. I tried copying my WTF and Interface folders into another computer with WoW installed, but it didn't go well. I read somewhere that you have to save profiles but I'm a bit wary of that, as I tried doing that once and instead of saving it, it wiped my profile settings completely.

Please help!

Here's some screenshots of the UI I intend on exporting.

OOC party
http://pics.livejournal.com/darkyo/pic/000cqx9r

IC party
http://pics.livejournal.com/darkyo/pic/000crf78

OOC raid
http://pics.livejournal.com/darkyo/pic/000cz1ck

IC raid
http://pics.livejournal.com/darkyo/pic/000cs25e
11-11-08, 07:27 AM   #2
joeba18
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you go into your WTF folder your see a folder called Account
then once you go into Account your see your account user name.
This needs to be changed to the user name of the new account.
then once you go into your account user name folder your see a folder named after your server.
Change this to your new accounts server.
Then once you go into the Accounts server folder your see a folder named after your char.
This needs to be changed to your new accounts char name.

hope i explained it clear ^^.
11-11-08, 03:06 PM   #3
jhale598
A Defias Bandit
joeba has using the interface on a new computer down perfectly, but your still left with the problem of exporting it onto wowinterface, or whatever site you want to use.

If you download winrar (or other like it), you can make a subfolder (name it whatever you want to name your ui that you will post) and copy your interface and WTF folder into that subfolder.

from there, right-click the subfolder and click the "export and email" button, and once it has the .rar file ready to send, don't send it.

Instead, grab the .rar file from the attachments and move it to your subfolder.
then when you get onto wowinterface, just brwose and find the .rar file.
----------------------------------

there's probably FAR simpler ways than that to go about it, but it's the only way that i have found to do it lol

ALSO, make sure that you read through each addon page on wowinterface (or wherever you have downloaded the addon) and make sure you add any license agreements or copyright documents (.txt files) because you will get removed without proper documentation.

One last thing , do a quick file search through your ui for wowmatrix.dat files and remove them, as your compilation will be removed for those as well.

Hope that helps
11-11-08, 04:48 PM   #4
Recluse
A Cliff Giant

Aside from changing the account name and the realm and character names when copying over the WTF folder, you're going to still have issues with some addons, as many of them are saving the settings to individual profiles. In order to solve this, you'll have to edit each SavedVariable file manually and change them all to the target account's realms and characters. A pain, as well as prone to tons of unintended errors if you're not careful.

The easiest way to fix such a problem is to write an addon which contains all of the configuration and layout settings for all of the addons you're running. It doesn't have to be something fancy, just give it a data table and a function - a slash command if you're feeling generous.

Then you pack up the addon and the rest of the addons which are in your UI and give them to someone, just tell them to invoke the function/slash command in your settings addon you made.
11-11-08, 06:46 PM   #5
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Aside from changing the account name and the realm and character names when copying over the WTF folder, you're going to still have issues with some addons, as many of them are saving the settings to individual profiles. In order to solve this, you'll have to edit each SavedVariable file manually and change them all to the target account's realms and characters. A pain, as well as prone to tons of unintended errors if you're not careful.

The easiest way to fix such a problem is to write an addon which contains all of the configuration and layout settings for all of the addons you're running. It doesn't have to be something fancy, just give it a data table and a function - a slash command if you're feeling generous.

Then you pack up the addon and the rest of the addons which are in your UI and give them to someone, just tell them to invoke the function/slash command in your settings addon you made.

A more "professional" way would be to create a single addon, that has listings for all the correct savedvar files for all included addons, in it's TOC file, that sets the proper wtf settings for all included addons that need to be changed from defaults.. and then once it's all done, it can disable itself from loading on that character. This would be a much more "professional" way to do it, and in all honesty, it's difficult to do, but the effort would be worth it.

Another "professional" way to do it, would be to modify each of your addons to set those defaults to be the settings you currently use. Would be easier than the first method I mentioned, and still give the user a proper setup without them having to "rename you account folder" blah blah. just tell em "Delete your WTF, then install my pack and you're done"

The 1st way wouldn't even require that, since your "installation addon" wouldn't care about SavedVariables files existing or not, and would overwrite them with its own parameters. Cons are, it's a bit more difficult to write an installation addon than it seems.

The 2nd way eases the installation process a little bit, but would still require the user to remove all existing account parameters. Pros are it's easier for the compilation author, yet still provides a more "complete" installation. Cons are: It's not quite "Install and go" thereby giving the users another way to screw up the install.

break19
11-11-08, 09:31 PM   #6
Taralack
A Murloc Raider

Thanks for the replies so far everyone! I'll try out some of the simpler things suggested first, and if that doesn't work, I might have to give up seeing as I'm no programmer. ^^;

In response to the reply above, I thought the second way to do it would be the easiest. I went back in and checked, and all my settings for the UI are saved under "default". I haven't had a chance to try it on another computer yet, but I'll be sure to do so asap.

One thing I found when I tried copying the UI the first time was that some of the original user's settings had been erased.

Last edited by Taralack : 11-11-08 at 09:35 PM.
11-12-08, 04:21 AM   #7
joeba18
A Cyclonian

well if you didn't change any folder names when you did the copy then the saved vars cant take effect.

As everyone mentioned, there are many ways to do it, some simple some not so simple.

Just make sure all profiles for your addons are using the default and change the folders names, that for the most part should give you a clean copy.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Help exporting UI settings