11-16-08, 12:58 AM   #1
Maxcloud91
A Defias Bandit
My addons aren't working.

I'm having some trouble getting my addons to work. I'm using Windows Vista (which explains most of it). I download an addon and put it into the Addons folder inside the World of Warcraft folder. Once it's in there, I open WoW and look at my addons, and all of my current ones are out of date. I don't know if this makes sense but honestly it's confusing for me to explain...
My friend got addons that worked for me awhile back before the big 3.0 patch (3.0.1 or something, I dunno, the one were paladins got OP), and now they are all out of date. I went to my WoW addons folder and deleted all of them. But when I open WoW, they are still there, but they all say out of date.
Now when I download Questhelper, for example, I put it in the WoW addons folder, open WoW, and everything is still the same, being all out of date...
I'm sorry if to some of you this is really obvious, unfortunetly, i'm no pro with computers, I just want to play the game
Any help would be vastly appreciated.
11-16-08, 03:39 AM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
in the addons menu try selection the Use Out-Of-Date addons option.
11-16-08, 03:39 AM   #3
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Do you have the "Load out of date AddOns" option checked? (It's on the AddOns screen.)
11-16-08, 03:54 AM   #4
kinkyafro
An Aku'mai Servant
Copied from many many other posts

When you installed patch 3.0, or WotLK, it came up with "Do should move WOW out of C:/ directory because Vista and WoW dont work well together there" thing, and you click yes to that, so it moved it.

To find the real folders here is what you do.
Find the WoW.exe or Launcher.exe that you use to open WoW every time you log in.
Right click it, press "Open File Location" and it will take you to the correct folder, where you should put your addons and all that
11-16-08, 04:42 AM   #5
Maxcloud91
A Defias Bandit
Thank you kinkyafro, that helped me
Sorry for the noob question but as I said, i'm not very good with comps.
Cheers!
11-16-08, 05:44 AM   #6
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Maxcloud91 View Post
Thank you kinkyafro, that helped me
Sorry for the noob question but as I said, i'm not very good with comps.
Cheers!
Yes kinky is right, especially as with patch 3.0.2 the install path for WoW was changed and your AddOns location has also changed. Just move WoW out of your Program Files group (into a new folder or directly on your C: drive or another partition/drive will take care most of your Vista related issues with WoW.
11-16-08, 07:48 AM   #7
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Vista sucks, get rid of it and all your problems are solved!
11-16-08, 11:26 AM   #8
Akryn
A Firelord
Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
Vista sucks, get rid of it and all your problems are solved!
While this is quite true for business use, almost all home user problems w/ Vista, including the crap with WoW/addons, are caused by UAC, which (despite what the guide here says) is 100% worthless and should be turned off by everyone.

If you do run Vista you'll have a vastly better experience with it off (control panel>user accounts>Turn User Account Control on or off)
11-16-08, 05:14 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Turning it off should be a very last resort, because if someone doesn't know enough about Vista to install WoW outside of Program Files, then most likely having UAC enabled is a good thing for them.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » My addons aren't working.