11-19-08, 10:41 AM   #1
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Site Questions

Note from Shirik:
<This thread is a split from the topic located here>

I also suggest using the Favorites lists provided by some sites. Here at wowi, you can even be emailed when something on your favorites list gets updated. Curse's favorites list isn't as good as it used to be, but it still works to know what to look at. At wowace you can subscribe to addons there and be emailed when they get updated, too. (Really, though, release and beta versions from wowace get mirrored to Curse. The only people who should be downloading from wowace would be those who want broken/alpha code.)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Shirik : 11-19-08 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Adding note
11-19-08, 01:05 PM   #2
Jeania
An Aku'mai Servant

Lykofos:

I like very very much, I'm going to use this instead, seems to be much more reliable, stable, and all of that sort of thing...also is the best (that I've seen) at respecting author's in regards to addons.

Couple of questions about it (if you know lol)

1) What are the addons that are bolded mean?
2) Does this include all latest updates listed at these sites? What I mean is: some authors that have posted, have had issues regarding the auto updaters...so are there authors who've refused to have their addons listed? (If so, I'd like to know why )

That's pretty much it, on questions. I'm going to inform my guild in regards to it, for updating their addons with as well. Is there anything else that I (or my guild, or others reading this post) should note/know about when using this? That's pretty much it ^_^ Thank you, so much, I really appreciate the alternative option. ^_^

Seerah:

I always have used this, as it also lets me know when I have pm's or forum updates too...but not all my addons origins are known (not until I check the list, anyways lol). I have more addons than I can really believe (according to updaters, it's 176... (I really don't see how, I have a rather clean interface (standard Blizz)...I know I do use a lot, but then some of my addons have various "parts to it" including Cartographer, Titan, Bigwigs, etc...So I guess I can see it, it just astounds me lol. So doing the checking is going to take some time..plus "favoriting" such a huge list, while I do when I can, would be rather large. Plus I personally "favorite" addons that I am very interested in, and check back to the original site to see if there's been updates, screenshots (for some lol), and all of that...or perhaps it'll have functionality for me later...that sort of stuff.

So even with my thorough checking (partially because I'm such an addon "visitor" lol...I tend to check to see if there's new addons/updates every few days...and sometimes those lists update rather fast, change, etc.) This would greatly help me (the site she/he posted), actually...So I'm praying that authors and WoWi consider this a pretty decent alternative to other problematic sources. (And for me, I gritted my teeth on downloading the curse client...partially for the same reasons as someone else stated, it adds junk that you don't want). I prefer to manually download and update things, if/when possible.

I would like to request this though: could WoWi and addon authors take a peek at the link she posted, and tell me your thoughts on it? I'd be much happier knowing that this has the thumbs up from the general populist.

Yeah I'm tired, babbling again...*sigh* thanks and hugs! ^_^

Jeania/Litharra~Dalaran
11-19-08, 01:14 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I'm not sure what the bolded text means, but I can ask him... And I actually just noticed that there are little arrows to download the addon directly - I'm not sure when he added that in (a lot of them don't work anyway or download the incorrect addon), but I'll have a chat with him about that, as that would be hot linking. (Bad Fin!) This site's purpose was originally to just have a list of what all was updated across all sites. Kind of like a combined rss feed.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-19-08, 01:30 PM   #4
Jeania
An Aku'mai Servant

aye I did notice the direct link thing...I'd actually prefer to have it removed for obvious reasons (I think obvious anyways lol). I was going to mention that in my last reply but my tired brain deleted it lol. (hey at least it does delete SOME things lol).

Yes, that'd be great about the bolded text. Actually anything you can find out would be amazing lol. Would there perhaps be a possible topic (if there isn't one already lol) that lists WoWi and WoWcommunity approved updating methods...With this added (with his permission of course lmao )

Not needed, just think that if this is something that is ideal/approved, that maybe if it's advertised more, then more people will resort to this solution verses WoWmatrix. The thread could also address "the basic" no-nos of addon updaters (and like you said, if you do, suggestion to use the ones offered by the download sites in question), and why.

Okay, brain is going to nap lol. ^_^

btw, if there are editable titles, I'm working on the title "WallofText Winner!" or something wierd like that lmao. Okay, maybe I'm not, it just popped into my head, and seemed humourous to me lol.

Okay, reaaally signing off on this paticular post lol. Look forward to replies. ^_^

Jeania/Litharra ~ Dalaran
11-19-08, 02:38 PM   #5
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Jeania View Post
Lykofos:

Couple of questions about it (if you know lol)

1) What are the addons that are bolded mean?
2) Does this include all latest updates listed at these sites? What I mean is: some authors that have posted, have had issues regarding the auto updaters...so are there authors who've refused to have their addons listed? (If so, I'd like to know why )

<< Quote truncated >>

Jeania/Litharra~Dalaran
1) New AddOns to the system. AddOns that are updated appear in Normal text, New Addons in Bold text.

2) As mods are updated, this site picks it up. If the updated mod appears on the Curse/WoWUI/WoWInterface as a new or updated mod, then Fin's site will list the mod accordingly.

Seerah, I have never notice any direct download links on his site (using Firefox 3 and I have scripts enabled for his site). Its always been a link to the AddOn's page on the respective site. He includes what ever the AddOns description is (either pulled from that AddOns homepage or from the TOC). Then again this direct download may be have something he was playing with and since pulled.

Last edited by Zyonin : 11-19-08 at 02:43 PM.
11-19-08, 02:43 PM   #6
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
<This thread is a split from the topic located here>
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
11-19-08, 03:30 PM   #7
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Jeania actually made a rather good point there. I think we could use a sticky or something of that sort that basically states the situation with WoWMatrix, and tell the people about alternatives.

Because we don't want people to use WoWMatrix, but right now the only way they know is through reading a locked topic somewhere buried in the chit-chat section, in other words -> nobody's ever going to read that unless you specifically link them to it.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Site Questions