04-25-09, 02:45 PM   #21
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

Well, you used to see some really weird things in the cantina when it started getting late... *shudders*
04-25-09, 03:17 PM   #22
Soulofsin_007
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The thing about SWG-Pre NGE was that when you started a new character if you had family that had been playing the game before you, like I did. They could come back and group with you and you could start off without having to grind out endlessly to hit say level 10 just to do something with them. Sure I couldn't got to Dantooine or however its spelled, but I could still do things with them from the misson terms in Theed.

I also liked the entertainer before had with the combat fatigue, I had a master entertainer and ran a macro that would auto accept trades and do certain flourishes and thats how I made a lot of cash back in the day to.

Player cities where also exciting, but now you leave town and you run into them almost everywhere, I remember being on Tatooine and going out to fight tuskens and instantly hitting a player city 500m out from them.
04-25-09, 03:37 PM   #23
Spectro
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I played Matrix Online for a short period of time and loved it. I hear Sony ****ed that game up, too.
04-25-09, 04:04 PM   #24
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I must say that it is a pretty kewl project they got going on there with SWGEmu.

As to it's legality? I believe it kinda falls into a "grey" area.

The servers they are using to run the original SWG are built from scratch by "reverse-engineering". As far as I know reverse-engineering is "legal". They are not using any piece of code from the official servers.

You need to own an original copy of SWG to install and play the game on their servers.

Thing is they have been in development since 2004. If Sony and Lucas REALLY wanted to they could have shut the project down a long time ago ... legal or not.

It is being called an "Emu" aka an emulator. If emulation was illegel then things like MAME and such would have been stopped a long time ago too.

So only time can tell really ... but I don't think there are any ethical reasons why you can't use this. I just think Sony is idly watching this to see where it goes. If it doesn't hurt there current subscription base then I think they will leave it alone.
04-25-09, 04:14 PM   #25
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I must say that it is a pretty kewl project they got going on there with SWGEmu.

As to it's legality? I believe it kinda falls into a "grey" area.

The servers they are using to run the original SWG are built from scratch by "reverse-engineering". As far as I know reverse-engineering is "legal". They are not using any piece of code from the official servers.

You need to own an original copy of SWG to install and play the game on their servers.

Thing is they have been in development since 2004. If Sony and Lucas REALLY wanted to they could have shut the project down a long time ago ... legal or not.

It is being called an "Emu" aka an emulator. If emulation was illegel then things like MAME and such would have been stopped a long time ago too.

So only time can tell really ... but I don't think there are any ethical reasons why you can't use this. I just think Sony is idly watching this to see where it goes. If it doesn't hurt there current subscription base then I think they will leave it alone.
Thanks. I agree, and was told basically the same thing, when I asked "their people". I just wanted an outside opinion, that was likely not biased. I don't know how WoW private servers are done, and don'r really wanna know, as long as this isn't the same thing, technically or ethically.

Thanks again, your opinion is appreciated and respected, I've seen you around long enough to know you think before you type (something I need to work on, sadly).
04-25-09, 04:23 PM   #26
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Thanks for the kind comments.

I think I might just have to dig out the SWG discs .. if I can ever find them and maybe give there stuff a try.

*** Runs off to find discs ...

Last edited by Sepioth : 04-25-09 at 04:26 PM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Star Wars