05-28-09, 07:34 PM   #1
FeatherySatirist
A Murloc Raider
Connecting to minion.mmoui.com

Running Minion works fine, and correctly, but the Minion is perpetually stuck at "Identifying Addon" for the main addons and "Waiting for [Mod Name]" for the rest.

If I open up and then close either of the console windows from Tools > Module Center or Tools > Options, then the messages change to "Update Cancelled" and "Addon not available," respectively. Minion then promptly refreshes and begins anew, starting at "Identifying Addon" and "Waiting for [Mod Name]."

Doing some sleuthing, I found this in the log file:

Code:
java.lang.SecurityException: Bundle 'mmouiwow' does not have permission to connect to 'minion.mmoui.com'
	at com.mmoui.manager.MinionSecurityManager.checkAccept(MinionSecurityManager.java:784)
	at com.mmoui.manager.MinionSecurityManager.checkConnect(MinionSecurityManager.java:813)
	at com.mmoui.manager.NewsManager$PopupCreator.createPopUp(NewsManager.java:261)
	at com.mmoui.wow.manager.NewsService$1$1.hyperlinkUpdate(NewsService.java:147)
	at javax.swing.JEditorPane.fireHyperlinkUpdate(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.text.html.HTMLEditorKit$LinkController.activateLink(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.text.html.HTMLEditorKit$LinkController.mouseClicked(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseClicked(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

I won't presume to understand the nuances of Minion, but evidently, I can't connect to minion.mmoui.com.

I decided to try making a new WoWInterface account (I had made one waaaaaay back during Vanilla WoW to track the progress of MazzleUI, but I have since forgotten the name and password for that account) and using that information instead of logging in "anonymously." Heck, it couldn't hurt.

Tried, but it didn't work. Any more suggestions?
05-28-09, 09:46 PM   #2
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
i had this problem. i had to shut down Privoxy (my proxy server) and disable proxy settings under the Windows "Internet Options" control panel.

as far as i can tell, Shirik had not said anything yet in the bug i filed on the Minion bug tracker about whether Minion is going to work with proxy servers, or in general what constraints on user network security will be required to get it to work.

i intend to fiddle with Privoxy and see if i can get it to ignore attempts to connect to whatever Minion connects to (though i don't really know what i am doing). i will play with "minion.mmoui.com". hopefully Shirik will respond and tell me what other hosts/IPs/URIs i need to fiddle with. i don't particularly want to run without Privoxy, and have websites continuously throw third party content at me (aka advertising) that contains who-knows-what.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
05-28-09, 10:09 PM   #3
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Really, it shouldn't need access to minion.mmoui.com. Is there anything strange with the way your proxy is set up? The only locations it should require access to are in the wowinterface.com domain.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
05-28-09, 10:51 PM   #4
Slite62
A Kobold Labourer
I have the exact same issue.

But I'm not running any proxyservices on my LAN, my ISP however is using a proxyserver for http and https traffic.

Where do I find the log-files for Minion? I'll check if I have the same issue as Feathery.
05-29-09, 04:34 AM   #5
FeatherySatirist
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Slite62 View Post
Where do I find the log-files for Minion?
%APPDATA%\MMOUI\Minion\log.txt

I disabled Privoxy, and that didn't change anything.
I exited Privoxy, and that disabled Minion's connection completely (for example, I lost the News Feed).

So I had the most luck with Privoxy on, ironically.
05-29-09, 10:03 AM   #6
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
i did not actually have to shut down Privoxy, i had to disable Windows proxy settings (for Vista: "Internet Options" control panel, "Connections>LAN Settings", uncheck the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" checkbox).

still hoping to receive a list of IP addresses to configure for bypass (i.e. under "Connections>LAN Settings>Advanced"). configuring "minion.mmoui.com" there had no effect, i have to disable proxy use completely.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
05-29-09, 12:45 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by acapela View Post
still hoping to receive a list of IP addresses to configure for bypass (i.e. under "Connections>LAN Settings>Advanced").
You got one when you installed it. You had to agree to it, in fact.

FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
05-29-09, 06:07 PM   #8
FeatherySatirist
A Murloc Raider
disable Windows proxy settings (for Vista: "Internet Options" control panel, "Connections>LAN Settings", uncheck the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" checkbox).
I can confirm that these directions worked completely. Hopefully this helps out other people using proxy servers. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me to disable Proxies in Windows as a whole, rather than just disabling the proxy itself. Grats to acapela.

Grats also to our dedicated volunteer who wrote this neat little app. Now having it completely working, I can say that I am thoroughly impressed and will definitely be using Minion in the long-run. This is the fourth UI updater I've used (Ace, WUU, Curse, now Minion) and I think I like it the best.

still hoping to receive a list of IP addresses to configure for bypass (i.e. under "Connections>LAN Settings>Advanced"). configuring "minion.mmoui.com" there had no effect, i have to disable proxy use completely.
Well, now I'm down to a Windows error. It's not saving my changes to exceptions for proxy servers, but that's my problem and not related to Minion (specifically, any changes I make to LAN Settings are not being saved, which is moderately concerning).

-Conclusion-
Connection issue was related to proxy servers. Anybody else having this problem ought to disable proxy servers from the Windows control panel rather than simply disabling the proxy itself. Adding exceptions may or may not work. I don't know. When I get LAN Settings to comply, I'll edit this post accordingly.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Connecting to minion.mmoui.com