05-30-09, 09:08 AM   #1
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Okay, so we have established the fact, according to Stormkeep, that I'm foolish. I didn't read every detail of what my OS updated.

Now, is there a way to disable the excessively annoying "Updates are ready for your computer" messages? I use a 3rd party firewall / security, because I know MS products fail with actual security, so I'd be comfortable with not getting updates IF I did not have to see that annoying frigging message every time I turn around.

Edit: Also, Evolution85, did you read the 3rd and 4th posts in this thread, or even the link that this thread is about? The uninstall button is disabled for this "addon".

Last edited by Yhor : 05-30-09 at 09:14 AM.
05-30-09, 09:12 AM   #2
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Okay, so we have established the fact, according to Stormkeep, that I'm foolish. I didn't read every detail of what my OS updated.

Now, is there a way to disable the excessively annoying "Updates are ready for your computer" messages? I use a 3rd party firewall / security, because I know MS products fail with actual security, so I'd be comfortable with not getting updates IF I did not have to see that annoying frigging message every time I turn around.
There absolutely is. In the settings for automatic updates (how you get their varies depending on your version of windows) you can choose "Never check for updates."

It is a good idea to actually run windows update and manually check now and again...most of their updates are a good idea to install. But at the same time, you already know MS products fail at actual security, so it's also a really good idea to make sure you find out what they are installing first. There's a reason large corporate IT departments don't roll out updates until well after MS puts them up. So other users crazy enough to use auto-update find all the problems first. Such as the one that started this whole thread.
05-30-09, 09:23 AM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Is there a way to remove it from system tray in XP? I know how to turn it off, I do not know how to make it stop nagging me.
05-30-09, 09:28 AM   #4
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Is there a way to remove it from system tray in XP? I know how to turn it off, I do not know how to make it stop nagging me.
If it's set to never check for updates it should never make a peep. Does it keep complaining that it isn't checking or something?

I know in Vista you have to do a registry edit to keep the system security advisor from complaining if auto-updates are off...but I don't recall it being such a headache in XP. Of course, that could be something they "improved" with a update since I stopped using XP.
05-30-09, 09:45 AM   #5
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

In XP, go into the Control Panel, Security Center, and click 'Change the way Security Center alerts me'. You can untick the "ZOMG, you're gonna get HACKED!" warnings there.
05-30-09, 09:54 AM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Jesamyn View Post
In XP, go into the Control Panel, Security Center, and click 'Change the way Security Center alerts me'. You can untick the "ZOMG, you're gonna get HACKED!" warnings there.

Oh jeesh, I really do feel stupid now. It's crazy how we (and yes, I mean "me") forget the details. I've used this before, but it has been a long time.

Thank you all.
05-30-09, 09:49 AM   #7
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by stormkeep View Post
If it's set to never check for updates it should never make a peep. Does it keep complaining that it isn't checking or something?

I know in Vista you have to do a registry edit to keep the system security advisor from complaining if auto-updates are off...but I don't recall it being such a headache in XP. Of course, that could be something they "improved" with a update since I stopped using XP.
There's a nag message "Your computer is not protected, click here to protect your computer". *Chat Bubble*

I use Comodo PRO and AVG, so yes, I'm fairly protected (better than MS standards anyway).
05-30-09, 09:50 AM   #8
Jesamyn
<This Space for Rent>

That's what my post will address. I hate those messages.
05-31-09, 04:22 AM   #9
Zimran
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I didn't read everything so I might be rehashing but some people have privacy concerns with Google's Chrome. For those that are concerned there is SRWare's Iron browser based on the Chromium source.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

For adblocking they have an in house solution at:

http://www.srware.net/downloads/adblock.ini

Or you can take a look at AdSweep:

http://www.adsweep.org/

Personally, I still use Firefox and AdBlock Plus because it makes it easy to allow certain sites that I display and click ads on (such as WoWI). I don't vouch for Iron or AdSweep, just FYI.
05-31-09, 04:37 AM   #10
Slakah
A Molten Giant

And lastly, anyone who has a newer laptop, irregardless of whether they are a techie or a gamer or neither, is going to be using Vista. Rolling back is simply not possible because some of the hardware has no driver support available for XP. I'm surprised you didn't know that if you actually work in the industry like you claim to.
My laptop is less than a year old and it didn't come shipped with Vista, it had Linpus Linux :P.

As for the whole Vista vs XP thing, it costs £124.92 I'm not going to pay that for what little upgrade it gives me /shrug.
05-30-09, 09:57 AM   #11
Farm Fresh
A Fallenroot Satyr

What part of injecting a program into your browser without a confirmation (not even on Vista's dreaded UAC) that slows it down is not a problem? Sneaking is just that. Sure, they clearly mention it in the download log, but if they didn't, can you imagine what people would be doing? All people are asking for is a confirmation screen or yes/no option. You don't hijack other programs for your own benefit. Let Mozilla make the add-on. I'm sure they'd be happy to.
05-30-09, 10:20 AM   #12
Falter
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thanks for posting this.
I reposted on my guild's forums.
05-31-09, 01:14 PM   #13
Gako
A Fallenroot Satyr

Wooo!
<-- Mac User
Wooo!
05-30-09, 10:20 AM   #14
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Edit: Also, Evolution85, did you read the 3rd and 4th posts in this thread, or even the link that this thread is about? The uninstall button is disabled for this "addon".
Evolution85 is talking about the "Disable" button. You can disable the plugin instead of uninstalling it.
05-30-09, 10:36 AM   #15
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
Evolution85 is talking about the "Disable" button. You can disable the plugin instead of uninstalling it.
Crap, I really should not post when I first wake up. My apologies.
05-30-09, 10:37 AM   #16
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

No, no. No apologies needed. Just wanted to clarify that.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Microsoft sneaks Firefox add-on without user knowledge