04-09-09, 11:37 AM   #1
Anon411
A Murloc Raider
Its been a year, has much changed?

Good afternoon gamers:
I use to game on WoW for over three years, left to try out another online game and took about a years hiatus from Warcraft. At this time I'm looking to start playing on WoW again, so has much changed in over a year? (as far as add ons go)

I restored my old add ons folder to the warcraft directory. I'm not sure if there are a new set of add ons, existing olds ones still in use; ect. From what I can see and remember, I didnt load up much on add-ons and tried to limit their use. From what I can remember when gaming before I used Titan set up bars, another add on for debuffs (I think called smart debuff) and another add on for healers to help with group / raid healing. I dont remember the exact name of that add on but I would click on a party members name and the add on would automatically decide on the type of heal I needed, and this add on would act to notify me if something needed to be debufed. I loved using titan if it still works and exists. On top of all this, there was another add on to update the current add-ons, it kinda looked like a spread sheet and did a auto-update on all the current add ons. Can someone refresh my memory as how the add-ons are placed, what are the most popular ones being used (characters warlock, priest, rge) and any other tips or suggestions you can think of. Thanks.
04-09-09, 01:13 PM   #2
Soulofsin_007
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm not sure about your addons, but personally to heal I use grid/clique...

As far as gameplay has gone, besides a new expansion, not much has changed
04-09-09, 02:27 PM   #3
thomasd70
A Murloc Raider

Hi. here are some addons i use.

Healbot for healing and some buffing and debuffing to but i use another one for that.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...continued.html
or use Grid and Clique.

Buffs and debuffs.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...SmartBuff.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...artDebuff.html
or
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Decursive.html

and as for bars, titan or fubar or the new broker bars.
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...itanPanel.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-FuBar3.0.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...erDisplay.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...onDisplay.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...injaPanel.html

and maybe some more
04-10-09, 07:56 PM   #4
Anon411
A Murloc Raider
Thanks

Thanks for the tips and URLs there.

Sorry to be vague in the first post.

In a way it might be good to maybe look at deleting the old add ons and starting fresh. I like to keep things simple. I do love Titan and looks like thats a start of my add on build.
When you use Titan add on (like for bars and organization) do I need any other dependencies?

I'll look at the healing add on(s) suggested along with the debuf add ons.
04-11-09, 04:25 PM   #5
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

It would probably be easiest to dump your old way out of date stuff & get fresh. Titan is still around but has changed. Some of your others possibly are still around too but will have changed. Part of why it would be easiest to start from scratch is some of the changes to the game that have necessitated changes to the addons. In addition to a new expansion, there have been several ui changes made by blizzard themselves to the game. Check out those changes then decide what you still need addons for & find ones that you are comfortable with.
04-12-09, 03:12 AM   #6
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Be aware also that a fairly major patch (3.10) is about to be released, and a lot of addons will have to be updated after that hits. Of course, you'll have to do that through the new in-game blizzard addon store... (HEHE sorry, couldnt resist)

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
04-12-09, 12:04 PM   #7
Anon411
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Cyn325 View Post
It would probably be easiest to dump your old way out of date stuff & get fresh. Titan is still around but has changed. Some of your others possibly are still around too but will have changed. Part of why it would be easiest to start from scratch is some of the changes to the game that have necessitated changes to the addons. In addition to a new expansion, there have been several ui changes made by blizzard themselves to the game. Check out those changes then decide what you still need addons for & find ones that you are comfortable with.
Sounds like a good idea for starters.

I dont think anyone answered this question but, what is the name of the spread sheet type program that updates several add-ons at once? This program will check current in game ad-ons and let you know if a update is ready.

I forgot to add in the orginal post, are there any must have addons for raids ; ect.

Last edited by Anon411 : 04-12-09 at 12:13 PM.
04-12-09, 12:10 PM   #8
Anon411
A Murloc Raider
To recap, since I havent been in the game for about a year, are add-ons still dropped into the same folder?

I currently have the following:

Interface --> Addons --> several Blizzard_(fill in the blank)

thats it. I didnt delete any of the folders starting with Blizzard_(name). Dont recall seeing some of this in here before.

If different otherwise, please post here.
04-12-09, 12:55 PM   #9
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Anon411 View Post
Sounds like a good idea for starters.

I dont think anyone answered this question but, what is the name of the spread sheet type program that updates several add-ons at once? This program will check current in game ad-ons and let you know if a update is ready.

I forgot to add in the orginal post, are there any must have addons for raids ; ect.
Curse/Wowace are using Curse updater, wowinterface is using it's own updater.

Raid AddOns nowadays are oRA2, bigwigs, and any unit frame capable of displaying raid frame.

Originally Posted by Anon411 View Post
To recap, since I havent been in the game for about a year, are add-ons still dropped into the same folder?

I currently have the following:

Interface --> Addons --> several Blizzard_(fill in the blank)

thats it. I didnt delete any of the folders starting with Blizzard_(name). Dont recall seeing some of this in here before.

If different otherwise, please post here.
Yes, that is still the correct place to extract addons.

Last edited by ravagernl : 04-12-09 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Typo :)
04-12-09, 01:04 PM   #10
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I still suggest that people use Omen. It's not necessary anymore, but it's still good to know just where you are on threat, especially on fights where bad things happen to #2 and/or #3 - fights like Patchwerk, etc.

The kind of "smart" healing addon that you mentioned hasn't been possible for quite some time - since the 2.0 BC patch, if not earlier.

I personally use Grid + Clique for healing, and have Grid set up to show how much health the target is missing, that way I can judge which heal to cast pretty quick ( <5K, Flash Heal, >5k Greater Heal, etc). I use Decursive for dispelling magic/disease on my priest, and will be turning it off on my pally once I get used to the mouse-button-bindings I have for my paladin.

oRA2 is a nice raid organization addon, but it's really not all that necessary. I keep *****ing at the other healers/rezzers in my guild to get it so that, at least, we can all see who's rezzing whom.

BigWigs and DeadlyBossMods are still kings of raid timers and raid warnings. Which one you use is largely personal preference - my guild prefers BW because of bad experiences with DBM.
04-25-09, 10:43 AM   #11
Anon411
A Murloc Raider
thanks

thanks for the help and tips.

I did go in and delete the old add ons (out of dates) and left anything in the folder Interface --> Addons

Blizzard_(fill in the blank) 20 some odd folders with most ending in UI

I do remember my old guild using DBM and we never had a problem with it. In fact is was a must have when raiding. I'm hoping to start a come back soon and will try to use less addons. Still curious to see the changes after more than a year away from the game.
04-27-09, 02:18 AM   #12
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

all those Blizzard_blahblahblah folders would probably be all of their changes to the ui lol. they've made a lot of them in the last year. made a few addons almost and/or completely obsolete because of it.
04-27-09, 11:10 PM   #13
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

"Its been a year, has much changed?"

We now operate wow with VR headsets and gloves.

The accepted donation for addons is now either bacon or bananas.

Dolby had a gender crisis and is known as "Dolbianna"
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
04-28-09, 03:36 AM   #14
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by honem View Post
"Its been a year, has much changed?"

We now operate wow with VR headsets and gloves.

The accepted donation for addons is now either bacon or bananas.

Dolby had a gender crisis and is known as "Dolbianna"
You forgot to mention that Yhor is now officially a "terrible person" and no longer plays WOW. But he sticks around here to entertain the rest of us with his wacky antics and shenanigans.

04-28-09, 08:39 AM   #15
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by voodoodad2000 View Post
You forgot to mention that Yhor is now officially a "terrible person" and no longer plays WOW. But he sticks around here to entertain the rest of us with his wacky antics and shenanigans.
Erm. I was joking.

C'mon now ? Payments in Bacon ? "Dolbianna" ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
04-29-09, 03:51 AM   #16
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by honem View Post
Erm. I was joking.

C'mon now ? Payments in Bacon ? "Dolbianna" ?
I was joking too!... Or was I???

05-01-09, 09:10 PM   #17
Anon411
A Murloc Raider
Love the bear pic...

thanks for the tips
05-01-09, 11:36 PM   #18
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by voodoodad2000 View Post
I suppose I'm now worse than a Terrible Person. Never tell Cairenn you're gonna kick a little kitten, because I think it might upset her.

Just to be clear, I'd never hurt an animal that didn't cause me real injury or real grief. I do joke about such things, but I'd hope people know it's only a joke... I'm sure Cair does. I don't like people much, irl, but animals can't -really- fend for themselves..

On a more serious note, I don't really stick around for the entertainment value I hold (I admit, I'm a pretty dry piece of toast). I stick around because I still value the community here at WoWI, even though my feelings toward Blizzard is along the lines of loathing... like the blacksheep brother who stole Mom's credit cards and car and only calls when he needs to be bailed out of jail.

I still PM friends and am able to post help on a few topics that hasn't changed much since I left wow. And honestly, if I hadn't dug myself a hole with my rantings, I'd probably play wow again, begrudgingly.
06-03-09, 10:27 PM   #19
Anon411
A Murloc Raider
add on ...

I did a search for Grid and Clique and didnt see it.

Would it be spelled or listed another way? Would like to try the add on.

Thanks
06-03-09, 10:55 PM   #20
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake

Clique:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...08-Clique.html

Grid:

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...5747-Grid.html

You sure you did the search the right place? cause i found both links using search funktion.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Its been a year, has much changed?