12-18-09, 09:10 AM   #1
holiee
A Kobold Labourer
Angry keylogger on site

both i and my sister inlaw were keylogged and had our wow accounts hacked after we downloaded the 3.3 carbonite patch. both were hacked and had toons and guild robbed both times in under a month and theonly thing we both had in common is we downloaded the new carbonite 3.3 patch plz check your site and runa maintence check

12-18-09, 09:38 AM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Might i suggest doing the same for your computer. Addons can't contain keyloggers as the addon itself doesnt begin to function untill well AFTER you type in your name/password.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

12-18-09, 10:35 AM   #3
Ihadurca
An Aku'mai Servant

I myself use carbonite and I have the new patch as well. Nothing happening here. /shrug

Are you sure there is nothing else that could have happened? do you guys email eachother? Open attachments from one another? If you have a virus on your computer it could attach itself to emails and get sent over.

Ever search online for "work at home" things and visit those sites? Happens from places like that a lot. Honestly, most of the time it's from nothing to do w/ wow at all.

Also, most of the time accounts get hacked, the account had been compromised for a while. Meaning, you really got hacked anywhere from a day to a month or more ago. It's not always immediate.

12-18-09, 11:18 AM   #4
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by holiee View Post
both i and my sister inlaw were keylogged and had our wow accounts hacked after we downloaded the 3.3 carbonite patch. both were hacked and had toons and guild robbed both times in under a month and theonly thing we both had in common is we downloaded the new carbonite 3.3 patch plz check your site and runa maintence check
This is coincidence. Addons are incapable of infecting a computer with any malicious software. For the most part, addons are just text files.

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]

12-18-09, 12:39 PM   #5
latiknight
A Kobold Labourer

Originally Posted by holiee
I would sincerely suggest you invest in buying a Digipass or as its better known: "Blizzard Authenticator" It is a wise investment. Now if your one of the lucky ones that owns an Apple Touch phone or pod, you can download the app for free. I have it and all of my guildies too, and none of us have had any issues since.

Last edited by latiknight : 12-18-09 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added material

12-18-09, 02:53 PM   #6
.neck
ALWAYS...!

Premium Member
@original poster
You and your sister are victims of that thing known as the "Battle.Net hacking wave". I'm a victim myself.

Many people think that every player that has been hacked, had a keylogger installed on their computer. But I doubt that.

I don't think that the huge increase in hacked accounts is a coincidence. The numbers started rising very quickly after all players had been forced to connect their World of Warcraft account to their Battle.Net account.

Rumor has it that there might be a huge security leak in the Battle.Net web application.

The only thing that makes your account secure really is the blizzard authenticator.
By the way: The Mobile Authenticator runs on every Cellphone that supports Java applications: http://deathcoil.net/authguide.html

Now excuse me...I'm waiting for Blizzard to restore my equipment, my items and my gold.

12-18-09, 03:04 PM   #7
Ihadurca
An Aku'mai Servant

Wink

Originally Posted by .neck View Post
@original poster
I don't think that the huge increase in hacked accounts is a coincidence. The numbers started rising very quickly after all players had been forced to connect their World of Warcraft account to their Battle.Net account.

Now excuse me...I'm waiting for Blizzard to restore my equipment, my items and my gold.
Um... could you link a reference for you assumption? Because from everything I've read thus far, it has gone down.....

I have a mac and I had a battle.net account MONTHS before everyone else had to switch. I was part of the beta of it. And I can say I have never, in all of my 5 wow years, been hacked. /shrug

12-18-09, 05:48 PM   #8
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
If it was a keylogger it was most likely on your computer WELL before you updated Carbonite.

It can take at least a month or two after the keylogger (and the person reading the logs) gets and uses any info they obtain. They typically wait a while to hack your account to throw you off.

I HIGHLY suggest scanning computer for a virus. Chances are you are infected with something.

Run a FULL anti-virus scan. Hit every file on every drive .. not just the "suggested" files your AV program selects .. do a complete FULL scan.

Run a malware program. Programs like Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware are not only great ways to protect yourself but are also FREE to use. Again do FULL scans.

Make sure all AV programs as well as Malware programs are up to date. My AV updates daily.

Firewall running?? Make sure it is. This too can help protect you. I use McAfee AV (I know not the best but it is FREE with my Comcast account). It has a firewall. I set the Firewall security up so it warns me EVERYTIME a program tries to use the internet and I can choose to let it through or block it.

Nothing can protect you 100% short of disconnecting from the internet permanently (even then a friends USB thumb drive can still get you).

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » keylogger on site