04-01-10, 06:52 PM   #1
Unrully
An Aku'mai Servant

Looking for someone for a small addon update

I'm looking for someone to do a small update (a TOC update, I believe?) on an old addon that I, and a few other people I know, still use and love. It's called Morganti's BuffBars, and we use it in place of SBF or EBB because we simply like it better for it's ease of use. Problem is the past few patches it's been coming up with an error as soon as WoW loads, prolly cause it hasn't been updated in almost a year and a half.

From what I can tell it's a very simply coded addon, but I don't know any sort of lua coding and have no idea how to update it. If someone could do this it'd be great! Link is below, it's only ever been hosted on the curse site, but I...dislike curse, for the most part.

http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...-buffbars.aspx
04-01-10, 07:05 PM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I just loaded it up and besides the fact the TOC does not reflect the latest version of WoW it appears to run just fine.

I did not do any extensive testing but I did go through the options and hit myself with a few buffs and it worked just fine. No errors popped up..

To update the TOC you can do one of two things:

Option 1)
Click the addons button in the lower left of the character select screen. In there and check off the Load out of date addons option.

Option 2)
Open the .TOC file with notepad. Chance the version number from 30000 to 30300.

If you are getting errors post them here and maybe someone can help you out.
04-01-10, 07:13 PM   #3
Unrully
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I just loaded it up and besides the fact the TOC does not reflect the latest version of WoW it appears to run just fine.

I did not do any extensive testing but I did go through the options and hit myself with a few buffs and it worked just fine. No errors popped up..

To update the TOC you can do one of two things:

Option 1)
Click the addons button in the lower left of the character select screen. In there and check off the Load out of date addons option.

Option 2)
Open the .TOC file with notepad. Chance the version number from 30000 to 30300.

If you are getting errors post them here and maybe someone can help you out.
Yeah the error (for some reason) doesn't come up every time.. Maybe about 30% of the time I load the game up, next time I get it I'll post it here. One of the problems we have with the addon though is that it doesn't have any sort of profiles. That might be why it's so lightweight, but everytime you disable the addon and then re-enable it it resets the positions of the buffs/debuffs/weapon buffs. Also small other little things, such as sometimes during combat you can't hover over or click a buff off.

Anyway, I'll try and get it to bring up that error message again and post it.
04-01-10, 07:22 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
My guess is its the xxxx = nil error. I've come across this in several addons whereby it seems that the saved variables are no longer being loaded every time the VariablesLoaded event is triggered. It doesn't happen all the time but in nUI's case it is fairly often and a reload of the UI at least gets you back to playing that session.

I myself have seen similar problems with my smaller addons and just moved certain functionality out to later executed parts to ensure the data is there to use.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
04-01-10, 07:28 PM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Don't update the ToC version yourself - there's a reason Blizzard added a "Load out of date AddOns" checkbox, such as "The AddOn is throwing errors" - this is a definite sign that the AddOn is, indeed, out-of-date.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
04-02-10, 04:47 AM   #6
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
small update ? looking at the code I'd say the addon needs to be rewritten
04-02-10, 12:40 PM   #7
Unrully
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
small update ? looking at the code I'd say the addon needs to be rewritten
Can I ask why? I don't know anything about LUA code, but me and the people I know who are still running with MBB love the addon, even if it is pretty old and outdated. I've tried running with SBF but I jus can't get it to the point where I like it.

-Unrully, Fighting Lurker in SSC.
04-02-10, 02:50 PM   #8
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Unrully View Post
Can I ask why?
There are too many things used global where local would work, too.
Thats more a question of philosophy than coding
04-02-10, 04:22 PM   #9
Unrully
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
There are too many things used global where local would work, too.
Thats more a question of philosophy than coding
Ah, makes sense. Yeah oh well I guess.. For some reason I haven't gotten that error message the past couple days so as long as it keeps working alright I guess that's fine.. I'll jus keep hoping one of these days someone will pick it up and start updating it again, or maybe add the textures into SBF/EBB or something along that lines.

-Unrully, Fighting Lurker in SSC.
04-08-10, 10:58 AM   #10
Fodaro
A Cyclonian

Lightbulb A bit of 'duck tape coding'...

Well, I've been looking at something similar with another mod recently. As Xrystal was saying, it's probably something to do with the deprecated VARIABLES_LOADED event. You might want to try this:
  1. Open m_buffbar.lua in a text editor, e.g. notepad.
  2. Open the Find and Replace Dialog (Edit > Replace... in notepad)
  3. Replace all occurrences of VARIABLES_LOADED with PLAYER_LOGIN (make sure the case is correct.

It's a bit haphazard, but it's worth a try. A chap called Joel once described it as 'duck tape programming.'
04-08-10, 03:53 PM   #11
Zidomo
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Unrully View Post
It's called Morganti's BuffBars, and we use it in place of SBF or EBB because we simply like it better for it's ease of use.
You haven't seen Simple Buff Bars, then.

Even if you are able to hack Morganti's right now so that it no longer throws errors (as you state you are unable to do), its definitely going to cause more problems in the future as new WoW patches come online. As it is abandoned.

So the best bet is to suck it up and get used to/move on to something currently working & supported. Give Simple Buff Bars linked above a try if you don't like Satrina Buff Frames or Elkano's Buff Bars.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for someone for a small addon update