04-25-09, 08:54 AM   #1
Baldasarre
A Kobold Labourer
Move minimap in to Carbonite map? Pros/cons?

I'm a long time QH user and stumbled across Carbonite recently when I started to work on my UI for the first time. Through a lot of trials and errors I think I'm getting a good grasp of how Carbonite works. Something I am not clear on though is the option to "move the minimap in to Carbonite". I have that selected since I don't really like the idea of having two maps on my screen, but was wondering if there was something I was missing. I see lots of UIs on Youtube and curse.com that have dual maps and the fact that it's even an option makes me wonder if I'm understanding everything correctly.

Thanks for a great addon btw.

04-25-09, 09:35 AM   #2
Ketua
Premium Member

Premium Member
Most "dual map" UI's are based of one map acting as a minimap, and another as small map of the entire zone. (shift+M) will bring up blizzards standard minizone map. Generally this is only used for Battlegrounds so you can get an over all idea of the battle status without opening the larger map.

Having 2 local minimaps really doesn't make sense to me, since they would both be showing the same thing. As such I went with putting my minimap into carbonite and haven't regretted it at all.

04-25-09, 09:22 PM   #3
ripdog
A Murloc Raider
For me, moving the minimap into the carbonite map broke my original minimap (SimpleMinimap) and all i ended up with was a useless, tiny square in the corner of the carbonite map where I couldn't see anything at all.

Why the hell would you do this?

04-25-09, 11:52 PM   #4
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Originally Posted by ripdog View Post
For me, moving the minimap into the carbonite map broke my original minimap (SimpleMinimap) and all i ended up with was a useless, tiny square in the corner of the carbonite map where I couldn't see anything at all.

Why the hell would you do this?
I move the minimap into the carbonite map because it means I only need to have a single map on my UI. I don't really understand why anyone would NOT do it...why have two maps when you only need one?

It's generally a bad idea to use two different addons that alter the same UI element in a conflicting manner, btw...that's why you had the issue with SimpleMinimap.

04-26-09, 01:24 PM   #5
Dorhan
A Defias Bandit
For a couple months I didn't merge the two maps because I wasn't use to all those settings that need to be changed * I was using the default minimap layouts for years once I learned the settings and got how I liked it then I merged them into a single map.

It really comes down to the user and having one map or two map (one defaule & one mod) is ok for the new user to adjust, there is a ton of settings in Carbonite that are basic addons of others it takes some time to get use to really.

I have my maps merged into the bottom-right corner of my screen and there not small at all, the height of the Carbonite map is set to the same as 5 action bars stacked top to bottom and are exactly half the lenght of a 12 button bar and on the inside left of the frame is where I have my minimap docked and it spins when I spin, so far so good it shows the world below and the area I am flying over all in one spot.

09-25-10, 12:15 PM   #6
Paprika
A Black Drake
May someone help me please if it is possible. I merged the Carbonite map and the Blizzard mini-map into one. Then i full-sized the Blizzard mini-map and made it 100% transparent. This way i could still use the tracking-abilities of my huntress.

Problem:
I can't click/hover any icons from Carbonite-Map anymore, cause the Blizzard mini-map overlays it. Is it possible to turn this behaviour off?

09-25-10, 02:17 PM   #7
Chmee
A Molten Giant
I suspect you need to adjust the transparency of the minimap, somewhere in the carbonite options. Can't tell you where, as I don't merge the maps.

09-26-10, 05:58 AM   #8
Paprika
A Black Drake
Update - Solution found
-Disable 'Minimap docks always'
-Disable 'Minimap is drawn above icons'
-Set Minimap-Transparency to '0.00'
-???
-Profit!

Now i can:

-Use my tracking-abilities
-Use the right-click context-menu of Carbonite-Map
-Hover icons and see the tooltip

I didn't described my problem in a proper way, i'll try again.

I want to use my huntress tracking-abilities and since the carbonite map doesn't or can't support them, i have to use the Blizzard minimap. That's why i did the following thing:
-Merged Blizzard minimap into the carbonite map
-Activated Minimap Full-Size
-Minimap (Docked) Transparency 0.00

With this configuration i wouldn't see the Blizzard-minimap anymore, but my tracking-abilities were still visible, as i wished.

Problem:
-With the Blizzard-minimap overlaying the Carbonite-map, i can't use Carbonites features anymore

I made a gif, maybe this helps you people to understand my problem:

My question is if there is a way to use the Carbonite-features AND see the tracking-icons from the Blizzard-minimap.
So Carbonite could draw it's own icons above the merged Blizzard-minimap.

Last edited by Paprika : 09-26-10 at 06:18 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Move minimap in to Carbonite map? Pros/cons?