04-17-06, 05:29 AM   #1
wallenium
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Framerate drop on opening an addon

Hi
I hope i'll find some help here. i continued gello's waterboy script. did a bit bugfixing and so on. searched the whole code, but didn't get the answer of my question:

if i open the waterboy window (only if you can see it, see screenshot) the framerate drops massivly.

don't know if there's something wrong with the XML code ( i'm no pro @xml..).

hope sb can help me

regards from germany
wallenium

05-05-06, 02:39 AM   #2
wallenium
A Murloc Raider
no ideas???
05-05-06, 05:03 AM   #3
Gello
A Molten Giant
It's been like eons since I've looked at that, and I only have 1.1 here, but try this when nothing has moved or changed in bags for a couple seconds:

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage( tostring(Waterboy.BagsUpdating) )

It should be false. I could see a pretty big performance hit if that somehow got stuck on true.

As you've probably noticed, that's the "dirty flag" for BAG_UPDATE events. Instead of reacting to every BAG_UPDATE it only does it once 0.75 seconds (Waterboy.UpdateTimer) after a spasm of BAG_UPDATEs happen.

If someone were to do the PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD->RegisterEvent("BAG_UPDATE") and PLAYER_LEAVING_WORLD->UnregisterEvent("BAG_UPDATE") thinking it will improve zoning time, and then remove part of the dirty flag process, then it could potentionally run nonstop. (Small aside: PLAYER_ENTERING/LEAVING_WORLD edits aren't necessary for this mod unless there were changes in the WaterboyLoc. There are comments over 9 months old in the file mentioning the 200+ BAG_UPDATEs as you zone. The dirty flag is instant and Waterboy (at least to 1.1) should have no impact on zone times)

If that's not the reason, when you say "open" do you mean when the window is maximized or when it's on the screen in any form? If the fps drop happens only when it's maximized, then you may want to look at the UISpecialFrames bit.

This mod does a trick so that ESC minimizes the window but doesn't remove it from the screen ('Keep On Screen' is the option to enable this behavior). When it maximizes the window it puts it into UISpecialFrames. When the window is hidden, there's an OnShow to show it again in minimized form. Sometime in there it should remove WaterboyFrame from UISpecialFrames so further ESCs don't try to hide the window.

It's possible some edit has caused it to get into a minimize-maximize loop that's constantly minimizing/maximizing the window but you don't see it blinking because the screen renders when the mods aren't doing anything. I would uncheck 'Keep On Screen' and see if that changes anything.

Sorry if neither of those help.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Framerate drop on opening an addon