06-06-11, 09:10 PM   #1
Scott_Lyons
A Defias Bandit
Unhappy Addon conflicts - FPS drops?

I tried the beta of Carbonite a few days ago. I don't imagine much is different for release of 4.11.

With my setup I get a drop in FPS down to less than 20 when I move.

I have done a lot of disabling and re-enabling of add-ons and the conclusion is that any version of carbonite is the cause somehow.

My question. What addons clash with carbonite?

Is there a guide for steps to take to prevent the FPS drop in the settings?

I have read that any addon that polls the log files can cause this.

Any advise would be appreciated as I currently dont use Carbonite but I sure miss it.

06-07-11, 01:14 AM   #2
Scott_Lyons
A Defias Bandit
Treied latest Release 4.11 as well. Still getting FPS drop

I uninstalled the half dozen addons I used to try and replicate Carbonites functions and re-installed latest version of Carbonite 4.11. I still get FPS drop in WotLK content when I move. That is when I press W.

Interestingly I dont get a drop in FPS when I spin. And the slow down seems to only happen after I've done a quest turn in.

It drops from 50 plus to the low teens (i.e. 14)

After much careful science tonight I have concluded that the total number of addons was the issue. Polling addons shows that carbonite uses more memory than most. I have disabled X-Perl unit frames And changed settings on some addons so as not to poll logs.

FPS drop is now much better and carbonite is now working again.

Last edited by Scott_Lyons : 06-07-11 at 06:37 AM.

06-07-11, 08:30 PM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Unless your computer is dangerously close to using the total amount of RAM that is installed before even starting WoW, the amount of memory addons take up is fairly trivial. CPU cycles, however, is a whole different ballgame.

As an example, I use 305 addons (including libraries and modules) in various configurations over the 34 characters I have, yet I rarely see addons using a total of around 150 MB of RAM. Usually, it's much less (like under 100MB).

If you want to know what addons are known to conflict with Carbonite, see the Carbonite FAQ page.

Try disabling all addons except Carbonite. How are your frame rates with only Carbonite enabled? That is the only way to really tell if Carbonite is causing the problem.

Last resort: Go to your "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" folder and renaming or deleting the "Carbonite.lua" and "Carbonite.lua.bak" files. This will reset your Carbonite installation back to default, and can solve some problems that nothing else seems to help with.

I don't know if that will help you with your problem, but if nothing else works it might be worth a shot.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 06-07-11 at 08:51 PM.

06-07-11, 09:05 PM   #4
Scott_Lyons
A Defias Bandit
Red face It's a pity...

carbonite is fine by itself. I have the combination of mods I wanted working, with the exception of X-perl. Interestingly X-perl is listed as being compatible on the FAQ.

It's a pity more addons aren't listed there. There's a swathe of addons I use that aren't listed.

These means I need to test them myself.

ATM if I enable X-Perl then the FPS drops. with out it all is fine.

Seems counter to what's written in the FAQ.

A sugestion? maybe someone should test all the 5 star addons on curse and grow that list.

Also specific settings that poll quest log or logs in general and how they can be disabled would be helpful. I found doing this had a perceivable effect on FPS when Quest information was updated.

I still get a moments lag when I loot things. which is slightly annoying but I'm living with this.

I'm guessing its one or two mods polling drops for their own data that is causing this.

If you build a selection of addons I guess you need to know how to do the science in working out how they interact yourself.

I'll do the thing with the carbonite.lua file at some stage and see if that helps.

Uninstalling using the curse client doesn't delete that file?

Last edited by Scott_Lyons : 06-07-11 at 09:10 PM.

06-08-11, 02:12 AM   #5
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The Curse Client will delete any addons' saved variables files it has installed, if you tell it to do so. I have to right click the addon, choose "Uninstall" in the menu, and then I get a confirmation dialog box which also asks me if I want to delete that addons saved variables file(s). If I'm deleting it, I don't want those old SV's hanging around, so I always hit the "Yes" button and they're gone. At least, that's how it works for me. I might have some option in the client set different than you (or probably most people) do.

If you are using Carbonite, it would be prudent to disable any other quest log or quest helping addon that you may be using, including "TomTom" (besides, Carbonite has a TomTom emulator built-in). They will just conflict with Carbonite. Certain map addons may also cause problems with Carbonite. I use "Mapster" and "GatherMate2" and its' companion database, and don't have any problems with them, so I think they would be alright to use. Oh, and I use "Archy" for my Archaeology profession. Other than those, I can't think of any addons that I use that do anything that might interfere with Carbonite.

Sorry for rambling, but it's after 4:00AM where I live, and I've been awake quite a while so I'm really tired. At my age, that's usually not a good combination for lucidity. At least, not for me.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Addon conflicts - FPS drops?