how do u install the new carbonite 5.04

09-05-12, 11:16 AM   #2
Atrocty
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
German (DE) support ? :/

09-05-12, 11:43 AM   #3
Reddsonja
A Fallenroot Satyr
Carbonite keeps telling me that there's a newer version available when there clearly isn't. How can we remove this?

09-05-12, 12:07 PM   #4
cowboy88340
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
newer version available

Originally Posted by Reddsonja View Post
Carbonite keeps telling me that there's a newer version available when there clearly isn't. How can we remove this?
i am not getting this did you do the fan update

this is what i get at load
CARBONITE CARBONITE 5.004007 B291 loading
CARBONITE CARBONITE 5.004007 B291 loading
CARBONITE enUS
CARBONITE load done

09-05-12, 12:09 PM   #5
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Reddsonja View Post
BEFORE Rythal began the "Fan Update," the original developers of Carbonite made this one update to fix the date issue.

See this link:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...59&postcount=1

NOTE: Uninstall any existing version of Carbonite that you may have, then install their latest version. AFTER THAT, install Rythal's Fan Update (3 files) according to HIS directions for HIS update.

Edited: After I posted, I found that Jeffy162 posted a better description. Here's a link to his post:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...60&postcount=8

Last edited by Kreelor : 09-05-12 at 12:34 PM. Reason: linked to a better explanation by Jeffy162

09-05-12, 01:27 PM   #6
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
BEFORE Rythal began the "Fan Update," the original developers of Carbonite made this one update to fix the date issue.

See this link:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...59&postcount=1

NOTE: Uninstall any existing version of Carbonite that you may have, then install their latest version. AFTER THAT, install Rythal's Fan Update (3 files) according to HIS directions for HIS update.

Edited: After I posted, I found that Jeffy162 posted a better description. Here's a link to his post:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...60&postcount=8
Actually, if someone is getting notice about an updated version available ... that means someone is making changes who is on your server... either minor or major, the message saying outdated is the one you mentioned.

The one saying a new version available is based upon chat messages in the carbonite global channel where it talks to other carbonite users, and compares your version number to one it see's posted. It's exact chance is for reportedVersion-.00001 > current version, so if your seeing that message pop up someone on your server has a carbonite reporting it's higher then 5.040007 if your using the latest one.

09-05-12, 01:30 PM   #7
[email protected]
A Murloc Raider

Not really a concern but...

Love the work you've done on Carbonite... but, what I was wondering was, the quest tracking used to display the number of quests in zone for the zone achievement. Would there be any way to get that back?

09-05-12, 01:46 PM   #8
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Love the work you've done on Carbonite... but, what I was wondering was, the quest tracking used to display the number of quests in zone for the zone achievement. Would there be any way to get that back?
where was this information before that's gone now so I can look into it? I know the map shows in the title how many quests for the achievement, and as far as I know it shouldn't of changed anywhere else (MoP zones and starter area's have no count to list)

Ed: NM, just reread it where you said tracker... i'll check

09-05-12, 05:00 PM   #9
aslanruler
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
As far as the way Carb used to automatically track the number of quests in a zone, I was under the impression that Carb was using the achievement tracker system. If you are in a zone that your main or an alt has previously gotten the quest achievement in, then the achievement is already logged as completed and no tracking occurs outside of Carb's database. Since I went into patch 5.0.4 with Loremaster, I really have no way to tell if I'm right or not.

Either way, you might try checking the 'track this achievement' option on WoW's achievement UI and see if that pops the quest stuff up again.

09-05-12, 02:23 PM   #10
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
The one saying a new version available is based upon chat messages in the carbonite global channel where it talks to other carbonite users, and compares your version number to one it see's posted. It's exact chance is for reportedVersion-.00001 > current version, so if your seeing that message pop up someone on your server has a carbonite reporting it's higher then 5.040007 if your using the latest one.
Rythal, I'm not the one getting the out-of-date notice. My reply was to Reddsonja.

Maybe I'm wrong in my understanding of how that message gets "popped-up." I thought is was when Carbonite users login, Carbonite itself looks at the date in its own ".lua" and if that date is less than (older) than the user's current system date, then it notifies the user that a newer version is available, even if there isn't a newer one.

A long time ago, I changed the date that Carbonite compares against in its own ".lua" by using Notepad++ and changing the offending Carbonite date to a newer date value, 6 months ahead into the future. It has been working for me, so if I'm misunderstanding you, please let me know.

09-05-12, 02:50 PM   #11
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Rythal, I'm not the one getting the out-of-date notice. My reply was to Reddsonja.

Maybe I'm wrong in my understanding of how that message gets "popped-up." I thought is was when Carbonite users login, Carbonite itself looks at the date in its own ".lua" and if that date is less than (older) than the user's current system date, then it notifies the user that a newer version is available, even if there isn't a newer one.

A long time ago, I changed the date that Carbonite compares against in its own ".lua" by using Notepad++ and changing the offending Carbonite date to a newer date value, 6 months ahead into the future. It has been working for me, so if I'm misunderstanding you, please let me know.
It has 2 messages, one checked on login against date (This version is old, visit website to get another)
and one checked against what version other peopple are running (an updated version is available). If reddsonja is getting this one, someone is toying with carbonites version on there server.

09-05-12, 04:38 PM   #12
GaryBr
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Actually, if someone is getting notice about an updated version available ... that means someone is making changes who is on your server... either minor or major, the message saying outdated is the one you mentioned.

Rythal,

Nice. I saw that message and was checking for an update.

Thanks so much for your work to keep Carbonite running.

Gary

09-05-12, 01:09 PM   #13
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Atrocty View Post
German (DE) support ? :/
For German (DE) support, you would need to look at http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...&postcount=200 or http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...&postcount=221 and do the same thing, fortunately I believe DE is already in localization.lua if I remember correctly, so there's only 20 or so you need to add translations for.

If you do translate it, I'd appreciate if you posted it so I could add it for everyone.

09-05-12, 11:50 AM   #14
cowboy88340
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
how to intstall

Originally Posted by cstarkey39 View Post
how do u install the new carbonite 5.04
1st you need to go to the carbonite home page and download carbonite if you do not have it extract it to the wow/interface/addons folder

2nd go to the 1st post of this thread and follow the link to download the fan update then extract that to the wow/interface/addons folder

there or only 3 files in the fan update Carbonite.lua Carbonite.toc and Localization.lua that is why you have to download the old carbonite 1st before you get the fan update. The fan update only changes those 3 files

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5.04