09-11-13, 09:41 AM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Question Installing 5.4.0 Alpha 1

Thank you, Rythal, for the update! Quick question before I mess up my currently installed version. Will I have to delete 'everything Carbonite' from my addons folder before unzipping your latest version (5.4.0 Alpha 1), or can I simple unzip 'certain' files from specific folders? I'd certainly hate to lose all my Notes and other things by doing it incorrectly. I looked but didn't see any info related to installing these minor update patches.

09-11-13, 12:20 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Saved variables aren't stored in your Interface folder.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-11-13, 02:15 PM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

Seerah, that was an answer, but not to my question which is: "Will I have to delete 'everything Carbonite' from my addons folder...."

TOPIC VOIDED: I went ahead and deleted every Carbonite-related folder from the Addons folder, then unzipped the new files from the latest patch download. Should have done that in the first place, but I thought my question was simple enough. Thanks for your reply, Seerah.

If you can, please remove the entire Topic and the replies, since they are no longer needed on the forum.

Last edited by Kreelor : 09-11-13 at 03:00 PM.

09-11-13, 03:31 PM   #4
JWMcQuire
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I think what Seerah means is that everything Carbonite isn't only in the addons folder. You have "savedvariables" containing addon settings in each of your toons' folders in the WTF folder which basically means that most of your Carbonite settings may not be lost. However, the notes are not a part of those saved variables, so it is likely that if you delete "everything Carbonite" and do a clean install of 5.4.0 Alpha, you will have to redo all your settings and notes as well. However, if you just paste the new version over the old, most if not all of your settings may remain intact. As far as your notes, you may still have to redo them no matter what.

I did a clean reinstall without checking my notes when the WoW patch "broke" the Map which caused a memory failure when I tried to close it even after updating to 5.4.0. So I didn't get to check to see if I still had my notes.

So, my advice is for you to save screenshots of all the map notes you made, and expect to have to redo them. Also, it doesn't hurt sometimes to just redo everything which may give you a chance to make changes you might have been putting off.

I hope this helps some.

As far as the new version, I like what I see so far and am looking forward to the new release version when it is available. :-)

09-11-13, 07:42 PM   #5
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by JWMcQuire View Post
I think what Seerah means is that everything Carbonite isn't only in the addons folder. You have "savedvariables" containing addon settings in each of your toons' folders in the WTF folder
I understood the 'saved variables' issue before Seerah told me about the 'saved variables' and WTF folders. That's the main reason my question said specifically "'everything Carbonite' from my addons folder....". I did not ask about everything from my system or World of Warcraft and each of its subdirectories, etc.

It doesn't matter now, since I went ahead and found (very happily!) that the Timeless Isle map was there, although it's nearly impossible to read the very small text. And, when zooming in to read it, all text disappears. Maybe I can fix that in the Carbonite options, but doing that will change ALL maps, not just the one.

About the Notes being lost (again). When I read the list of fixes he made, I noticed that it said
"- Bug fixes for notes & tomtom", but I didn't know that the fixes would require deleting the existing folder, as well as many of the other folders (in the Addons folder) which weren't even mentioned in his list of fixes. Maybe he had fixes spread throughout all the folders which were in the zip file?

Thanks for the time you took to reply to me with the information. Much appreciated!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Installing 5.4.0 Alpha 1