01-16-18, 05:13 AM   #1
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
Well of course if you explicitly do not use a pointer created before hooking it's going to work, but no, as I've recently learnt, hooksecurefunc actually replaces the function and there's no magic at all.

This does not print anything:
Code:
local SetCVar = SetCVar

hooksecurefunc("SetCVar", function(name, value)
    if name == "Sound_EnableMusic" then
        print(name, value)
    end
end)

SetCVar("Sound_EnableMusic", 1)
It makes no sense, you are saying this hook actually killing the functionality of the SetCVar calls? It also works as a described and prints the value regardless how and where do you upvalue it.
01-16-18, 02:28 PM   #2
Lombra
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Resike View Post
It makes no sense, you are saying this hook actually killing the functionality of the SetCVar calls? It also works as a described and prints the value regardless how and where do you upvalue it.
No, I'm saying a new function is defined. You may verify using this:

Code:
/run local a = SetCVar hooksecurefunc("SetCVar", function(name, value) if name == "Sound_EnableMusic" then print(name, value) end end) print(a == SetCVar)
My code does not print anything on login for me, nor does this macro: (don't use together with the addon code as it will upvalue the already hooked function)

Code:
/run local a = SetCVar hooksecurefunc("SetCVar", function(name, value) if name == "Sound_EnableMusic" then print(name, value) end end) a("Sound_EnableMusic", 1)
And regardless, the point still stands for insecure hooks, and whether those are a good idea or not wasn't the point.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » About add-ons optimization