12-25-06, 08:29 PM   #1
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Loudmouth

This is a thread to discuss the Loudmouth Addon.

This is still a mod under development, many more features are planned. Bug reports are welcome. Look for features, todo, etc. on the Addon page.

"Sorry, I can't. I have to go drive the short bus."
01-04-07, 09:55 AM   #2
Rakeleer
A Defias Bandit
Talking Thanks!

This is a great, fun addon. I started using it yesterday, and got a big kick out of it (especially the running away triggers - hehe!).

What I wonder is, is there any way to insert the mob name for running mobs, or crit spell/attack/score for crits within the quote?

As in "Come back here %m, I'll bite your legs off!" where %m is the running mob.

If not, would such a feature be hard to code?

Last edited by Rakeleer : 01-04-07 at 09:58 AM.
01-04-07, 03:10 PM   #3
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Rakeleer
This is a great, fun addon. I started using it yesterday, and got a big kick out of it (especially the running away triggers - hehe!).

What I wonder is, is there any way to insert the mob name for running mobs, or crit spell/attack/score for crits within the quote?

As in "Come back here %m, I'll bite your legs off!" where %m is the running mob.

If not, would such a feature be hard to code?
Thanks. I had fun writing it, and have ideas to expand it, as you may notice from my description on the download page. Yes, I do have hopes to add the kind of functionality you're looking for. The trick is, I'm still learning the API, and I spent a week coding, I'm taking a few days to just play. But, before much longer, I'll be playing with the format strings that I've seen referred to other places. I think a call to a function that contains the name 'deformat' should do what we're looking for, I just have to learn when/how to use it, and then test.

The other thing is, comments like what you quoted would be in the 'Monty Python' quote pack, which I hope to set up soon. First, get some more features into it, then get multiple 'quote set' support (i.e. default, character specific, class specific, Monty Python, Simpsons, etc.) I've been discussing features with my beta tester, and he likes the direction I'm thinking of taking it, in a way that wouldn't involve much effort for an end user. My goal is above all else, it has to be easy to use.

I hope this has given you an idea of where I'm looking to take things. I hope to be issuing an update around the 15th of the month give or take a couple of days. I have a couple of other things that are slightly higher priority right now (food, income, etc). I appreciate the feedback, and am certainly willing to consider ideas. I know that I hadn't mentioned the crit spell/attack/score as you mentioned, but I have been thinking about that. There's a fun addon called TopScoreFu. It already keeps track of new records (i.e. personal bests) for attacks by type and by crit, and I'm thinking about trying to see about integrating it so when a new record is set, I can make some wise remark. Anyway, does this answer your question? Sorry, wish I could offer a firm date of when that kind of feature might arrive.

FatherJim

01-11-07, 06:28 PM   #4
Rakeleer
A Defias Bandit
Fantastic!

Sounds awesome!

Take your time. I always wonder how much play time some of the mod devs get.
01-11-07, 08:58 PM   #5
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I was messing with some things last night with a guildie while discussing potential new features, and apparently %t is already replaced by the target's 'name'. So, if you put %t in it, it already replaces that. I haven't added the feature, it's automatically in place by the blizzard UI. But, I want to be able to replace other data into it, so look for a more flexible feature coming soon to a mod near you.

Oh, and play time I get? More than I should be. lol Nobody makes me work on this, I just have been because *I* want it to work.

01-14-07, 09:38 AM   #6
theeo123
A Murloc Raider

this is a bit of a weird request, but I'm loving loudmouth, I've been with it for a few versions now, updating regularly through the ace-updater program, unfortunately as of the last few updates, all the new features are great, but all the lists were empty.

i can remember what quotes i added, but I kinda miss some of the witty, well written lines that were originally.. "shipped with" the add-on

in girlfriend called, wife answered
won the lottery fixing blizzard
etc.

they are lost, i was wondering if someone could post them here? or even e-mail them to me?
01-15-07, 12:18 PM   #7
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
No, they are still in the code, but what happened was when I moved the quotes from one version of the db to another, they were overwriting other information, or caused the update to fail. So, I took them out of the defaults. Don't worry, they WILL come back.

My plans have been to get the quote sets working, and now that it is, I'm working on the code to add/remove sets, and then I'll add 'quote pack' support (function to install/remove quotes in a given set name so you can write your own 'pack')

Once that's done (and it's getting close), I'll build a set of quotes, including some from the 'old' addons I'm essentially replacing. You'll get these back and More.

On a side note, I just put those in as 'stupid' quotes... so I'm glad you found them witty and well written. They were just random comments off the cuff. However, some of the defaults will be better ones I hope. Hang in there, I figure getting the code functional without errors is most important right now.

01-15-07, 12:43 PM   #8
theeo123
A Murloc Raider

awesome, glad to hear it. So far I've been trolling IMDB.com looking at quotes from action movies & using those I love this addon

one small bug to report.

I just caught it today when i was in a group i was standing back as healing support, and in one particular combat, i didn't need to heal anyone (yay!) but yet loudmouth fired off several times. I think that when it was polling the combat log it was picking up on other party members, crits & misses, etc.
01-15-07, 06:29 PM   #9
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Hmm... I'm confused as to how. The events it's triggering off of are:

CHAT_MSG_COMBAT_SELF_HITS. If this is the cause, then it's getting this event from someone else, and you shouldn't be, which would imply a blizzard bug to me, because I only respond to events triggered from WOW, I don't 'read' the combat log, so this is a message coming from wow indicating that you hit.

I also look for the word "You" and "crit". Check your logs if this happens again, and see if perhaps something else is hitting you at the time and THEY crit you? Because I'm not checking the order of 'you' and 'crit' If this matches your situation, then I'll incorporate 'order' checking.

01-23-07, 02:28 AM   #10
Elk
A Kobold Labourer
This mod going to be updated for BC? Downloaded and installed the one on this site but the /lm gui , /lm and /loudmouth commands do not work. Any help?
01-23-07, 02:29 AM   #11
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
It should be BC ready. If it's not loading, then there has to be some kind of error message as to why. I can't help you if I don't know what the problem is.

01-24-07, 09:10 AM   #12
Dakotta
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Any chance to add an event type? For instance, casting rez or sheeping targets?
01-24-07, 06:44 PM   #13
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
No. That is planned for new features once I get the thing working properly. Then I'll be adding events for all interesting spell casts.

03-08-07, 06:01 AM   #14
marlinth
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Error

Ok, from what I've read I really want to use this addon, but here is the error I'm getting when I load it....

Interface/Addons/loudmouth/loudmouth.lua 2289 attepmt to index field '?' a nil value

Also when loudmouth spams at startup I get this....

Loudmouth: Size of table: 0
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:Misses(0)
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:Crits(0)
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:Fears(0)
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:Excuses(0)
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:AFK(0)
Loudmouth: Biopsy shows that set Default is zero length. Initiating Mastectomy.

I've not written any of my own quotes.....I just installed the addon and this is what it's doing....Please help....
03-08-07, 03:04 PM   #15
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by marlinth
Ok, from what I've read I really want to use this addon, but here is the error I'm getting when I load it....

Interface/Addons/loudmouth/loudmouth.lua 2289 attepmt to index field '?' a nil value

Also when loudmouth spams at startup I get this....

Loudmouth: Size of table: 0
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:Misses(0)
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:Crits(0)
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:Fears(0)
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:Excuses(0)
Loudmouth: Mastectomy. : inspecting Default:AFK(0)
Loudmouth: Biopsy shows that set Default is zero length. Initiating Mastectomy.

I've not written any of my own quotes.....I just installed the addon and this is what it's doing....Please help....
Ah, I see what happened. I have it stripping out completely empty quote sets to ensure that blank or invalid sets aren't cluttering up the name space. I need to exclude that check on the 'Default' set. I'll do that as soon as I can get to it, then post an update. I've heard this comment from others, but couldn't figure out why it was happening. Thanks for posting the output, that made it exactly clear what was causing it.

03-08-07, 09:10 PM   #16
marlinth
A Murloc Raider
Glad I could be of assistance.
03-14-07, 09:17 PM   #17
marlinth
A Murloc Raider
Just me again.

Hi, Just me again wondering if there was any word as to how soon it'll be fixed I've been going to wowace and getting your daily updates and still getting the same errors. Just wondering if it will be fixed soon?
03-14-07, 11:38 PM   #18
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thumbs up

Sorry, have had a LOT of things going on, I just posted a daily update... should be 30227 if I recall correctly. This should fix the 'nil' pointer issue, I just won't let it delete the "Class" or "Default" quote sets now, because it does need to delete other sets (for various reasons). These are the only 2 data structures that can be zero size now. Anyway, enough about the technical complications of the Vasectomy() procedure.

Right now I'm between jobs, working on tax deadlines for my business (which seems to be failing), plus worrying about where food will be coming from. Please bear with me, we'll get there eventually. Hopefully, this will resolve your issue. If not, please let me know, and I'll do my best to fix it.

Last edited by DMXGuru : 03-14-07 at 11:41 PM.
03-31-07, 11:31 AM   #19
marlinth
A Murloc Raider
Yippee!!!!

Been out a bit myself lately, just got a chance to retry it and it's working but only with my custom input quotes.....How soon can we expect quote packs? Thanks for a great mod!!!
04-07-07, 10:38 PM   #20
DMXGuru
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by marlinth
Been out a bit myself lately, just got a chance to retry it and it's working but only with my custom input quotes.....How soon can we expect quote packs? Thanks for a great mod!!!
Soon. I just landed about 2 hours ago, and just literally walked in the door. So, I'm workin' on it, in the process of defining some packs.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » Loudmouth