11-06-12, 03:48 PM   #1
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes its going to take some time but once its done Carbonite will be alot better than ever.

11-14-12, 10:28 PM   #2
xienwolf
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by patrick51 View Post
atlas works because it does not rely on a event in the game to trigger it. If its not one program carbonite will require an in game event to launch the new modual. If it misses that event then the proper part will not launch. That is the problem with DBM now. Part of the time it will not catch the proper event to launch the correct modual. Has nothing to do with how good a programmer you are has to do with the way the game works .
The major "It is the programmer" is how the programmer chooses to configure things.

DBM people decided to be cute and make the modules auto-detect what to load. They decided to be economical and have it check what to load only once.

That is their call. You can build in massive redundancies on your auto checks. You can make the player select what to load. You can have a button you press to update the modules loaded. You can have auto-detect with manual override....

Yes, there are SOME limits based on the interface Blizz gives us. But no limits from Blizz specifically make modularization a bad move.

The primary benefits for users:

1. If something breaks only a SMALL part of Carbonite breaks. So PvP or map only people won't suffer because of a Quest bug, etc.

2. Other addon developers can more easily cannibalize Rythal's code to incorporate into their own system. ie - more alternatives will crop up.

12-11-12, 01:21 PM   #3
Marsilus
A Kobold Labourer
Personally, I do appreciate Rythal taking on this project and I will wait until everything is redone. I am using it currently and although questing is not covered in all areas, I believe we all can agree there are ways around it, that are available to us all. You take what ever steps you feel need to be done and in whatever order you feel is best. Thank you for your continued hard work and effort to shape Carbonite to be more flexable and easier for you to update and maintain.

11-12-12, 07:10 AM   #4
gardentender
A Defias Bandit
Smile update

thank you for your hard work......I actually am running more than one app to try and have everything I did before. I do not know the dif between modular and what was here before. As long as it works I am happy. Look forward to the updates when you have them ready

11-12-12, 03:21 PM   #5
Subzero7
A Fallenroot Satyr
Updates and modularization

Personally, I think it will all work out in the end. And I believe that, in the end, everyone including the naysayers, will be happy. Whether we get something right away or months from now, it's better to have it done right (as someone else noted earlier) in the first place. Thanks again to Rythal.

04-13-14, 07:08 AM   #6
plonky
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
First off, an apology because I did run the poll asking, and I know quests won by a long shot... but hear me out

Every aspect of Carbonite needs an overhaul to make it easier to use.
Every aspect of Carbonite needs an overhaul to better support localization, and to remove byte code so it's easier to update / maintain.
Every aspect of Carbonite needs an overhaul to better support profiles, and configurations

Part of the quest overhaul is going to be breaking it apart (either by zone, or level range haven't decided yet) so it will use less memory if you don't need 80% of the quest data.

Because of the work involved in overhauling it, I really don't want to do the work twice, once to work with what is current, and once to work with the new modular map system.

TLDR, Maps will be done first.
U can please some of the people all the time.
U can please all of the people some of the time.
But u can't please all of the people all the time.

11-18-14, 07:38 PM   #7
Lizzykin
A Kobold Labourer
I Also am just going to be patient and wait and see and be happy when it is Done

11-22-14, 11:00 PM   #8
neon5162
A Defias Bandit

i dont even mind if theres no quests or otherstuff i just miss the second minimap the wow thing is annoying and isnt shrinkable and other minimap addons just mess with the map in the top right corner any suggestions for a decent secondary map addon till good ol carbonite is up and running again

11-23-14, 10:59 AM   #9
Thunderlibra
A Kobold Labourer

Red face quest complete

I loved using Carbonite. I really hate not having it. I would gladly even pay a fair price for it. Please bring it back. I especially miss the "Quest Complete" sound when I finish a quest. That alone got my husband to want it as well.

11-23-14, 11:03 AM   #10
Annisa
A Kobold Labourer
Carbonite update for WOD

I will "suffer" the Blizzard quest modules until Carbonite is ready. I used Carbonite since it was first available. Started in WoW beta 2 about 12 years ago, and when I first found Carbonite it was like the fog of war was lifted from my sight.

I know Rythal may not be expecting to make money on this, but I have, and will in the future, donated through PayPal. Each of you who say you need Carbonite back should do this as well.

If everyone who is clamoring for an updated Carbonite would donate on PayPal, he would be able to get himself a nice Christmas present.

11-24-14, 05:08 PM   #11
LaughterSong
A Defias Bandit
Red face Carbonite Map - The BEST

I miss Carbonite soooooo much!

I am thrilled you are working on it. I understand the large time investment.

I have been using Mapster and absolutely hate it but it's better than the default WoW map.

Every time combat commences, the map disappears. I open it up and it is - well very difficult to read until I zoom in what little bit a player can zoom in only to have it once again disappear if I herb or mine or commence combat - map with all my adjustments is gone..rinse repeat. It's clunky and awkward and has an enormous frame around it taking up far too much UI space.

I would be thrilled just to have a great map via Carbonite again.

If anyone knows of a better map system - I would love to hear about it.

Peace

11-26-14, 10:20 AM   #12
madde007
A Murloc Raider
I get the latest version from github (master).
I think there is a lot of working things in it.

It is still in development: https://github.com/Rythal/Carbonite

greetz

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Final Decision on what's coming first