03-22-09, 03:41 PM   #1
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
to require someone to pay for access to said addon is what I'm against. I think you're assuming I mean payment specifically, when I'm in fact against the entire concept as a whole.

Once again, this makes more sense in my head. Just can't find the right words for it.
Do you feel that way about every piece of pay for software, or just WoW addons in general? If it's the latter, what makes an addon (or the person who took the time to create it) any different than any other pay software (or the person who took the time to create it)?
03-22-09, 03:56 PM   #2
Jeniwyn
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Do you feel that way about every piece of pay for software, or just WoW addons in general? If it's the latter, what makes an addon (or the person who took the time to create it) any different than any other pay software (or the person who took the time to create it)?
OH! OH! I know this one! *jumps up and down*

Nothing.

What do I win?
03-22-09, 01:47 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Guys, it's getting way too personal again. I'm about to go through the thread and clean it up again. I shouldn't have to be doing that. Personal attacks aren't allowed. Period. Stop yelling at each other as individuals.

If you have something constructive to add to the discussion, that's fine. But if you don't, then please leave it alone.
03-22-09, 01:50 PM   #4
Elloria
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Guys, it's getting way too personal again. I'm about to go through the thread and clean it up again. I shouldn't have to be doing that. Personal attacks aren't allowed. Period. Stop yelling at each other as individuals.

If you have something constructive to add to the discussion, that's fine. But if you don't, then please leave it alone.

how was that making a personal attack?
03-22-09, 01:54 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Elloria View Post
how was that making a personal attack?
It wasn't. I didn't say it was. But doing nothing more than copying and pasting someone else's responses is not adding something constructive.
03-22-09, 01:45 PM   #6
CatfishKnight
A Theradrim Guardian

Blizzards new policy would be like Microsoft...

Wouldn't Blizzard's new policy be like Microsoft telling all the supporting programs, Games, Applications that other Companys are making & selling to work with Microsoft Windows have to be FREE now??? Something is very wrong here. I don't think really Legally they can do it, as long as you don't advertise in the game. I was reading in one of the forums last week that Blizzard sued one of the ingame help mods authors, to level faster and he won. The court said as long as he didn't advertise in game, he had the right to make and design a help mod for the game to sell if it help others.

CatfishKnight
03-23-09, 04:41 AM   #7
kasca
A Frostmaul Preserver
I only see one problem. They dont seem to mind the cheats that go on.
03-23-09, 01:38 PM   #8
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Folks please stay on topic and try not to get heated up. Things are getting a little heated in the previous posts.

Be warned Cairenn is going to lay down the smack down.

if (sizeof(sadness) > sizeof(happiness)) { initDepression(); }
03-23-09, 03:16 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Derkyle View Post
Folks please stay on topic and try not to get heated up. Things are getting a little heated in the previous posts.

Be warned Cairenn is going to lay down the smack down.
Who, me?

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-06-09 at 12:38 PM.
03-23-09, 03:19 PM   #10
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Cair doesn't "smack down", she smacks up... *****.

*edit* screw you filter, you ruined it.
03-23-09, 04:11 PM   #11
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create “premium” versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.
I support this. All it is saying is that authors cannot sell an addon, and users cannot pay to download an addon. Donations are still okay, as long as said donations do not provide more addon than is publically available.

2) Add-on code must be completely visible.
The programming code of an add-on must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.
Also a good policy. I recall there being an addon released here a few weeks ago that had code like this. It would prevent the addon from working on the author's realm if you were of the opposite faction. Here's an extreme example of what obfuscated code could do: If you're playing on my server and of the opposite faction, then I'm going to block your mouse clicks.

3) Add-ons must not negatively impact World of Warcraft realms or other players.
Add-ons will perform no function which, in Blizzard Entertainment’s sole discretion, negatively impacts the performance of the World of Warcraft realms or otherwise negatively affects the game for other players. For example, this includes but is not limited to excessive use of the chat system, unnecessary loading from the hard disk, and slow frame rates.
This one is kind of sketchy. I'm savvy enough to realize if I'm suddenly having significant slowdown, it's probably due to that addon I just installed, so I'll disable it. But if you're not that savvy and just expect everything to work, then such slowdown might wrongly be attributed to Blizzard. In certain cases, GMs may be contacted and use of their services required. This clause also safeguards against your addons, even if they aren't negatively affecting you, from affecting other people who your addon is sending data to.

4) Add-ons may not include advertisements.
Add-ons may not be used to advertise any goods or services.
Great clause. My only concern is for addons such as Lightheaded, that display the Wowhead logo.

5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.
Add-ons may not include requests for donations. We recognize the immense amount of effort and resources that go into developing an add-on; however, such requests should be limited to the add-on website or distribution site and should not appear in the game.
The key word here is "requests." You're not allowed to say, "please donate money." Having a simple, non-invasive button that provides a link for donation should be okay, as long as you're not asking for the donation. The important part about this is to just have the button clearly labeled, "Donate." As long as it's just there and no attention is drawn to it, then it's inclusion should be alright.

6) Add-ons must not contain offensive or objectionable material.
World of Warcraft has been given a “T” by the ESRB, and similar ratings from other ratings boards around the world. Blizzard Entertainment requires that add-ons not include any material that would not be allowed under these ratings.
These are arguably installed at the user's discretion, but as with the clause with obfuscated code I can see where there might be potential problems. If the game is rated T, then by extension the user-created content should be rated T. I'll have to point out that Blizzard is not the first to add this kind of clause to their mod policy. Bethesda (Elder Scrolls games) had to add something like this after some mod authors made full, detailed nudity possible in one of their games.

7) Add-ons must abide by World of Warcraft ToU and EULA.
All add-ons must follow the World of Warcraft Terms of Use and the World of Warcraft End User License Agreement.
This isn't anything new.

8) Blizzard Entertainment has the right to disable add-on functionality as it sees fit.
To maintain the integrity World of Warcraft and ensure the best possible gaming experience for our players, Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to disable any add-on functionality within World of Warcraft at its sole discretion.
Now this is something I definitely have a problem with. Specifically, the wording is not clear: Does this simply mean they can change the addon API (as they always have and often do), or does it mean that they will prohibit the usage of certain addons? If they're going to ban addons, then only bad things can happen, and they will happen fast.

Overall, this new policy is pretty okay. Like Blizzard's other policies, these just have to be read a few times before you start to actually understand it. Also like their other policies, these are likely to change to better address what it is they're trying to accomplish.
03-24-09, 07:59 AM   #12
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I can't imagine how frustrated the people that are paying for Carbonite are. The devs have refused to say anything to this day about the issue. I'm sure as previously mentioned they are taking trivial legal action on this and may possibly be speaking to a lawyer.

Still as paying customers they deserve some sort of response from the devs. Not speaking to your customer base and not giving them support on a product they are paying for is a big no no; Regardless of legalities it's just proper business practice.

If they aren't allowed to speak specifically on the matter, a simple "Were looking into the situation." would suffice. It's harmless and would not in danger their business in the least.

I'm just mentioning this because I do read the forums on Carboniteaddon.com since the UI Policy Wars started. Tons of people there are eager for a response.

Last edited by Xruptor : 03-24-09 at 08:04 AM.
03-24-09, 08:05 AM   #13
spiel2001
nUI's Author

t's just proper business practice
Agreed. Fully... it was the first thing I felt compelled to do with my own user base... start out by telling them I don't know what I'm doing yet, but I'm aware of the problem and looking at it, then follow up by telling them what I'm doing.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
03-24-09, 08:39 AM   #14
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Agreed. Fully... it was the first thing I felt compelled to do with my own user base... start out by telling them I don't know what I'm doing yet, but I'm aware of the problem and looking at it, then follow up by telling them what I'm doing.
Thanks spiel2001, I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way. Keeping your customers in the dark is not a very good way of keeping customers. It's my opinion of course but I think it's fair in the least.

The Carbonite devs really should say something IMHO.

03-24-09, 08:53 AM   #15
Satrina
A Cyclonian
I expect that their lawyers have said to not say anything just yet.
03-24-09, 09:00 AM   #16
Duugu
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
Or the new marketing policy says "Only good news are valid news".

Or they're just on vacation ... spending all the money for tropical drinks and stuff.

Or the dog ate the statement ...

or ...
03-24-09, 09:08 AM   #17
Xruptor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
That's a poor excuse to keep your customers in the dark. Instead of speaking about the UI policies, you can say something like, "We are currently speaking to legal advisors." Simple and efficient.

That at least would be something.

03-24-09, 09:12 AM   #18
mrsquiggle
A Murloc Raider
Still as paying customers they deserve some sort of response from the devs. Not speaking to your customer base and not giving them support on a product they are paying for is a big no no; Regardless of legalities it's just proper business practice.
1. This news just broke on Friday.
2. The addon still works.
3. Maybe they can't give an answer until they have one.
03-24-09, 09:16 AM   #19
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I may be mistaken here, but I think we're right on the verge of incurring Cairenn's "thread hijacked" smilie

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
03-24-09, 02:59 PM   #20
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
6) Add-ons must not contain offensive or objectionable material.
World of Warcraft has been given a “T” by the ESRB, and similar ratings from other ratings boards around the world. Blizzard Entertainment requires that add-ons not include any material that would not be allowed under these ratings.
I just had an intense...umm...I guess brain fart. I forgot what I was going to say.

Bad Tekkub! Yeah, that's it.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WoW UI AddOn Development Policy discussion thread