02-14-07, 10:05 AM   #61
shaktiboi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Better handling of racial skills possible?

Some racial click abilities are *very* useful (Taurens, Undead, Belf, etc.), while other click racials are not considered useful by many players. Perhaps a user-friendly way to deal with click racials would be to add a drop-down list with associated checkbox options to the Button page of your Mazzify wizard.

For example, if the user chooses to use the pre-configured bongo layouts for a given class, then display a drop-down that lists all the races. With each selected race, show checkboxes for all the click racials possible for that race. If the user chooses Blood Elf for race, for example, then 2 checkboxes appear: one for Arcane Torrent and one for Mana Tap. If the user checks either/both of these boxes, then the mazzify process ensures that hotbar 11 (or 12 or whatever) is displayed and these spells are on the hotbar. You could skip the default bindings for racials, if that's too complicated to deal with, and just let the users assign their own bongo bindings after the fact (or leave them as click-only, if they prefer).

My Belf pally, for example, really misses the ready-availability of Mana Tap (if I customize my bongo layout to include that spell, which I use for pulling, it's removed each time I ding an even level and re-mazzify).
02-14-07, 12:30 PM   #62
dorlf
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by owensd
Hey Mazz, great UI compilation and mod.

I noticed that the mage bar didn't really have anything for down-ranking spells, which is something that many (all?) mages want/need. I also notice that you like you put a lot of the combat spells on the left hand - I don't really like this as I find it much easier to fight with two hands on the keyboard as I don't need the mouse very often and it's easier for me to run around while doing my AoE grinding this way.

<snip>

I really like the idea behind this. Unfortunately as a hunter I use my mouse sooo much I dont think I could get away with it. Clearly I need to grow another arm.
02-14-07, 06:28 PM   #63
owensd
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by dorlf
I really like the idea behind this. Unfortunately as a hunter I use my mouse sooo much I dont think I could get away with it. Clearly I need to grow another arm.
Heh, yeah... I wouldn't recommend this setup to Hunters or any class/player that uses their mouse a lot.

Mazz: Glad you at least found it interesting - and yeah, a way to add personal customizations to the system would be awesome.
02-14-07, 08:08 PM   #64
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by shaktiboi
I've intensively used MazzleUI only with my new Belf paladin and priest chars. Because they're newbies, I have to re-mazzify every 2 levels to get their newly acquired spells added to their pre-configured Bongo layouts. This makes any degree of button binding/layout customization impractical, because the mazzify process removes any customizations. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be annoying at times. For example, as a Belf, I like to use the racial spells either for pulling or for emergency mana. The Belf racial is especially nice for giving paladins a ranged pull (for some mob types). But I have to jump through a lot of hoops to make those racials available via a hotkey, without putting them at risk of being removed/unbound when I next mazzify.
The problem is that there is no way to determine which changes you made that should be kept. For example, it would be cumbersome to differentiate between getting a new spell and the user just moving a spell to a different bar, or off bars.

I have a couple ideas on how it can be improved, but the bottom line is that it's just a thorny issue. There's no magical way to merge any arbitrary set of changes with the original layout.

On my priest, I've noticed that your binding of the C key is counter-intuitive. When I acquired Inner Fire at level 12 and re-mazzified with the Priest layout, you assigned Inner Fire to Alt-C. This overrides the default binding for the Character Info addon (which is very useful), forcing you to open the Character Info windows by using the drop-down Mazzle menu. Furthermore, Alt-C for a useful buff seems counter-intuitive, since you have already made the choice to co-opt the Z and X keys for immediate use. I would think it most intuitive to also co-opt the C key as well and relegate the opening of the basic character window to Shift-C, (and not mess with the default binding of Alt-C for the Character Info addon).
I agree. I try not to overrride those unless I absolutely have to. In this case, I don't even thing innerfire warrants an easily-accessed binding. I'd use SmartBuff for it.

Third, for a person who does not *carefully* read the Button page of the Mazzifier wizard, they might wonder why you're not creating a Bongo button for their wand. I was level 12 before I finally read the Priest button notes carefully and realized you were binding "Shoot" to the Alt-~ key. Before that I was manually customizing my Bongo layout to include a button for my wand.
I don't see what you're saying. I can't compensate for people who don't read the documentation for whatever reason and then have difficulties.

Fourth, your wizard text for the pre-configured button layouts seems to still be describing an old, outdated way to swap the bindings/location of the aggressive/defensive button bars. You talk about a "offensive" button or some such, which no longer exists in the UI. The new way to swap bar layouts (Shift-mousewheel or Shift-up/down arrow) should be described instead.
Yes, I know. Neither the button layouts nor the descriptions have been updated for 2.0 changes.
02-14-07, 08:13 PM   #65
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

In your MazzleUI menu, you have a section for toggling the states of Bongo buttons for editing. However, one very useful function is missing from that list (edit the key bindings themselves).

It would be even further useful (and more intuitive to newbies) if all of the bongo editing options were available by clicking hidden (or visible) buttons down in the UI area near the button bars themselves. If there were simple one-click toggling of all useful edit states, it would make it much easier to customize the bongo layouts after re-mazzifying every 2 levels. As it stands right now, customizing bongo layouts is a relatively long process because of the fact that you really have to open the Bongo config UI to do everything you need to.

IIRC, editing buttons modes sets up a couple things that don't lend itself to be easily in the menu.

Frankly, I don't want find expecting people to open up an options window for buttons that cumbersome. Especially since it's in the MazzleUI menu. It's two clicks to get to bindings. And I certainly don't want to add visual elements that are always visible just for button editing which is something I don't think is typically that often changed.
02-14-07, 08:20 PM   #66
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Some racial click abilities are *very* useful (Taurens, Undead, Belf, etc.), while other click racials are not considered useful by many players. Perhaps a user-friendly way to deal with click racials would be to add a drop-down list with associated checkbox options to the Button page of your Mazzify wizard.

For example, if the user chooses to use the pre-configured bongo layouts for a given class, then display a drop-down that lists all the races. With each selected race, show checkboxes for all the click racials possible for that race. If the user chooses Blood Elf for race, for example, then 2 checkboxes appear: one for Arcane Torrent and one for Mana Tap. If the user checks either/both of these boxes, then the mazzify process ensures that hotbar 11 (or 12 or whatever) is displayed and these spells are on the hotbar. You could skip the default bindings for racials, if that's too complicated to deal with, and just let the users assign their own bongo bindings after the fact (or leave them as click-only, if they prefer).

My Belf pally, for example, really misses the ready-availability of Mana Tap (if I customize my bongo layout to include that spell, which I use for pulling, it's removed each time I ding an even level and re-mazzify).
First 2.0 racials aren't in there. In general, I'd say, yes having options to modify every single possible thing would be nice. You don't like to add certain racials. Somebody else doesn't like to add buffs spells to bars. Somebody else just wants skills with cooldowns. There's tons of checkboxes of that sort that a person could envision. Unfortunately, building a general system that can handle arbitrary removal isn't practical or worth the time IMO. And in this particular case, I don't even think it's all that useful.
02-15-07, 04:33 PM   #67
amz370
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Durzil
I have a question on your sugested lock layout, why would you want a wall of buttons? I do a lot of clicking myself and it would make your layout very hard to play personally. Also I don't understand the need to add necrosis? Shardace with the other mods in the package do everything that necrosis does with less recorces, and much less space. Wich leads to the wall of buttons. Now I do agree the package does need some sort of shadowtrance/backlash warner, but thats a simple fix of dropping in 1 addon that doesn't change the cosmetic consistancy between layouts.
sorry on the late respone, first off mazz there are soo many threads here i got lost. secondly

im trying to getr away from clicking as far as buttons i have a logitech mx revolution, so i have lets see, 5 extra clicks/buttons to mess with so i do alot of that clicking, and all my mouse clicks are on the right side, like banish/esnlave, my rocket helmet that i will eventually replace with my parachute cloack (if the damn guys who drop it ever respawn) the idea with the wall is mroe for organization, ive always had a wall/brick o' buttons so im sued to that as well, to be honest, if it wasnt for me trying tor emember most of those, i could keybind my spell book and be fine, but hell some times i click.

But mazz, every day i play i fall more and more inlove with this set up. Will you be my belated valentines?

thanks again sorry for double posting

Last edited by amz370 : 02-15-07 at 04:39 PM.
02-17-07, 11:07 PM   #68
Dwarik
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz

I don't see what you're saying. I can't compensate for people who don't read the documentation for whatever reason and then have difficulties.

I think maybe the real issue might be that when a priest is soloing he is using his wand a lot. And putting it under alt -~ is just not obvious enough. maybe it should be a button that's visible. I know i mapped it to a button just because i didn't want to twitch my fingers on every single mob. (no, i don't think alt-~ is easily accessible)

That said, if people don't read the documentation it does end somewhere
02-19-07, 10:56 AM   #69
kriscorrie
A Murloc Raider
Is the "Shoot" command for mages binded to Alt-~ as well? as ive attempted this and thus far been unable to get it to work. Might be a keyborad issue of mines, but thought it worth checking. Not sure where in the faq this information is either, ive looked and havent found any reference.
02-19-07, 11:09 AM   #70
Intamin
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by kriscorrie
Is the "Shoot" command for mages binded to Alt-~ as well? as ive attempted this and thus far been unable to get it to work. Might be a keyborad issue of mines, but thought it worth checking. Not sure where in the faq this information is either, ive looked and havent found any reference.
My shoot command is binded to F1.
02-19-07, 11:16 AM   #71
Kamishimi
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by kriscorrie
The default Shoot keybinding for mages is F1. Of course, you're free to change this to whatever you want like I did. (In fact, I'd be surprised if I had any of the original keybindings.)

MazzleUI v1.0 Coming Soon to an Interface Near You!
http://mazzlefizz.wowinterface.com/
02-19-07, 11:47 AM   #72
Khameleon
An Aku'mai Servant
Honestly I don't think the preset bindings are a good idea to spend much time on in future releases. I believe most people will not like them and erase the presets back to what they are used to.

Most people that get MazzleUI pretty much already are used to pressing their keys the way they have for a few months, a year or even two years maybe. There is no way a person can get used to pressing F1, Z, ALT combos and all these keys we are used to using for other features already. I had to press CTRL+C just to view my character info cuz C was used for one of my spells... I was like huh???

Everyone I know that got mazzleui (6 people) reset the bindings as did I, so thats why I come to this conclusion.

I say let each person figure out how they like their keybindings and focus more on things like functionality of the unitframes, etc.
02-19-07, 01:06 PM   #73
Dwarik
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Even if a lot of people change it back right away you should think about keybindings so it gets set to something usefull. Not everyone has been playing wow for 2 years. The alternative is just leaving the bars completly empty and force people to put their own spells in. Having the buttons set to something that is not workable at all just seem to diminish the value of mazzle as a complete package.

One thing i have done for my priest is setting heals in 500hp increments
1 - flash heal rank 5 (500hp)
2 - heal rank 4 (1000hp)
3 - greater heal rank 2 (1500hp)
4 - greater heal rank 7 (max)
5 - flash heal rank 9 (max)

I know i need to look at these since my gear change the values arn't what they used to be but you get the idea.

also i think it would be nice to include a 3rd row buttons and having these downranked heals included. maybe something like F1-F6. you wouldn't even have to include that many downranked heals but have 1 or two between heal and greater heal would be nice i think.
02-19-07, 11:11 PM   #74
shaktiboi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Just a quick note: The Mazzify button bindings for my Warlock puts the Wand shoot on F1. This is *much* more preferable than the A-~ binding for Priests.
02-20-07, 02:26 AM   #75
iljott
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by Khameleon
Honestly I don't think the preset bindings are a good idea to spend much time on in future releases. I believe most people will not like them and erase the presets back to what they are used to.

Most people that get MazzleUI pretty much already are used to pressing their keys the way they have for a few months, a year or even two years maybe. There is no way a person can get used to pressing F1, Z, ALT combos and all these keys we are used to using for other features already. I had to press CTRL+C just to view my character info cuz C was used for one of my spells... I was like huh???

Everyone I know that got mazzleui (6 people) reset the bindings as did I, so thats why I come to this conclusion.

I say let each person figure out how they like their keybindings and focus more on things like functionality of the unitframes, etc.
Actually I have to disagree with you somewhat. While some people will change keybindings to something they are more used to, some will get used to the keybindings Mazzle has included in the setups. These took a lot of work and I for one, use most of them without having altered the keybindings. I just got used to them and find them efficient. I did change a few here and there, but most are untouched. It's just a matter of opinion. Don't forget that for each and every different character setup you can choose the Simple Layout which lets you put spells and keybindings however you like. So just think of the presets as bonuses.
02-20-07, 02:27 AM   #76
iljott
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Just a quick note: The Mazzify button bindings for my Warlock puts the Wand shoot on F1. This is *much* more preferable than the A-~ binding for Priests.
Alt-~ was used in the priest layout because F1 is used for targetting purposes (which most other character setups (mages and warlocks in particular) don't need as much).
02-20-07, 08:24 AM   #77
Khameleon
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by iljott
Actually I have to disagree with you somewhat. While some people will change keybindings to something they are more used to, some will get used to the keybindings Mazzle has included in the setups. These took a lot of work and I for one, use most of them without having altered the keybindings. I just got used to them and find them efficient. I did change a few here and there, but most are untouched. It's just a matter of opinion. Don't forget that for each and every different character setup you can choose the Simple Layout which lets you put spells and keybindings however you like. So just think of the presets as bonuses.
Yea thats true, I believe the setups probably are pretty efficient and some people will maybe try them, but like I said all 6 people I know personally that use Mazzleui reset to default and set the keys back to how they had em. I think its cool to have the presets, but don't waste too much time on that as it is not very important. People will figure out how they like their bindings on their own. The main problem is that bongos is not very good as it resets your settings too easily and is not easy to use.

I think the presets have limited mazzleui to only use bongos. Bartender3 are much better action bars overall, so if the presets weren't there then bongos could be replaced in the package.
02-20-07, 11:42 AM   #78
a212silver
A Kobold Labourer
Button Layout & Key Bindings

Is there a current list of button layouts or key bindings that comes default with Mazzle UI?
02-20-07, 11:46 AM   #79
coniferous
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by a212silver
Is there a current list of button layouts or key bindings that comes default with Mazzle UI?
Right now the bindings vary per class. Its a good idea to make one.. I'll put it on my to-do list.
02-20-07, 12:28 PM   #80
Durzil
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by coniferous
Right now the bindings vary per class. Its a good idea to make one.. I'll put it on my to-do list.
The bindings are in there when you pick your layout so no real need to make one.
Give Locks Green Fire!!!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Button Layouts and Keybinding Suggestions