WoWInterface Admin
Glad to have you joining our community.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
07-23-08, 03:47 AM   #82
x(wai)x
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to be here.

Last edited by x(wai)x : 07-23-08 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Added signature.
07-23-08, 06:27 PM   #83
ballwinkle
Premium Member
ready for some work on wotlk mods =D
07-23-08, 07:57 PM   #84
Tenge
A Murloc Raider
Are you able to disclose how many Authors have submitted for beta tickets so far? And/or what the magic number is for submission to "Blue" (or if the first batch has already been sent)?

Encoding minds want to know! :P
07-23-08, 08:01 PM   #85
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Cairenn said in this thread the first batch will be sent to blizzard on the 28th. When blizzard sends out the emails is up to them but normally its soon(tm) after. We can not disclose how many have requested a key. sorry
07-23-08, 08:54 PM   #86
x(wai)x
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Tenge View Post
Are you able to disclose how many Authors have submitted for beta tickets so far? And/or what the magic number is for submission to "Blue" (or if the first batch has already been sent)?

Encoding minds want to know! :P
I think it was said in another thread that the first batch of users submitted to Blizzard will include everyone who's applied and been approved up until that point.

*goes to dig up the post*

Edit:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...1&postcount=22

Originally Posted by Seerah
As Cairenn said, the first batch goes out on Monday, the 28th. So... *ALL* authors that have signed up at that point will have their names sent to Blizzard.

Last edited by x(wai)x : 07-23-08 at 09:07 PM.
07-24-08, 11:30 AM   #87
Muqq
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I've been trying off and on to learn lua, and have created a fairly simple (but helpful) mod... Is submitting something that's simple (and been done before) going to get me banned?

I would love to get into the beta, but not at the cost of my WoWI account. (I want to get started on updating whatever needs to be updated in Ansu's SpartanUI, just like I did for TBC)
07-24-08, 11:54 AM   #88
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
As long as the addon is your code, you will not get banned. Note, though, that the rules state that really simple "Hello World"/tutorial type addons are not eligible for a beta key. So it depends on how simple your addon is, and (if you followed a simple tutorial to create it) how much you have expanded on the idea with your own ideas/work.

About SpartanUI, it does not need updated. SpartanUI v.2 has been around and in development for some time now. http://www.spartanui.com/

edit: oh yeah - you already know that - that's why you discontinued your fan update.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-24-08, 12:15 PM   #89
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Would be fun to join the beta this year, bringing a ally feral druid (eu) if so.

I support the <Code Monkey> guild name btw, was a good one (not that all the others were not)
07-24-08, 12:55 PM   #90
Neuro
A Theradrim Guardian

I'd like to share a story about Beta and being an addon author.

A lot of new addons are being written so people can get into the beta. I have a different story, though; a story about how getting into beta made me an addon author.

Back in March of '06, I participated in one of Blizzard's contests on special test servers. The one I was in was the lvl 19 Honor contest. Blizz set up a test server with max level of 19, and the contest was that the top 250 Honor Totals on each faction would get a beta invite to TBC when it came out. I ended up in the top 50 of Horde side, and so I was guaranteed a spot.

So, come October of that year, TBC beta opens up, and I get my shiny new beta key and log in. But, sadness! All my addons are borked. That's when I found my way here to WoWI and the various beta compliant addons.

But the one addon I couldn't find a working beta copy of was eCastingBars. I checked the various addon sites, and the author had stopped updating it, and when I tried contacting the author, I got no response. Since, as a mage, I cast a lot of spells and the cast bar is important to me, I decided to fix it myself. If only I knew what I was getting into!

I spent weeks learning Lua and XML, fixing errors in the code, and wound up rewriting half the code, but along the way I got to interact with the modding community and learning how great they were. I finally got eCB to a working point, and decided to post it here on WoWI so others who enjoyed this addon pre-2.0 would have a working copy. Then, I decided to spruce it up a bit, adding features and cleaning up code, making it more functional than before. It went from being me cleaning up an old addon to being my very own.

So now, Lich King beta is here, and the circle is now complete. TBC Beta made me into an addon author, and that addon will justify me getting into the NEXT beta! Woohoo! =)

Thank you Cairenn, for all your hard work on our behalf!
07-24-08, 03:15 PM   #91
Aznamir
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by NeuroMedivh View Post
I'd like to share a story about Beta and being an addon author.
Whoa, looks like me and my PallyPower
07-24-08, 03:18 PM   #92
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

I'd rather you shared cookies.
07-24-08, 03:48 PM   #93
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
FYI, there's a US, PvE, Alliance WotLK Beta author guild already set up. A crew of us that were in the F&FA got it started. Look for someone in < Secure Templars > to ask for an invite. US PvE Horde still has to be set up yet, EU guilds to be set up yet.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
07-24-08, 05:11 PM   #94
Akryn
A Firelord
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
< Secure Templars >
awesome :P
07-24-08, 06:53 PM   #95
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Thumbs up

Names sending date is coming closer..
07-24-08, 08:43 PM   #96
Penguiin
A Murloc Raider
Ahh I can't wait to get in on the beta!
07-25-08, 11:59 AM   #97
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

FYI, there's a US, PvE, Alliance WotLK Beta author guild already set up. A crew of us that were in the F&FA got it started. Look for someone in < Secure Templars > to ask for an invite. US PvE Horde still has to be set up yet, EU guilds to be set up yet.
Dang I play on Lich King not Northend. I guess I can start a DK there too to say HO HAI. What time are you guys usually on?
07-28-08, 02:55 AM   #98
Nuchaleft
A Fallenroot Satyr

I just uploaded my first addon, Its nowhere near perfect, as I'm still learning Lua.
lol, I just realised I forgot to add something
Hope I get in regardless
07-28-08, 05:19 PM   #99
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Okay guys, I've sent in the first batch of names. If your ticket is: US 000001 - 000475 or EU 000013 - 000474, your information has been sent to Blizzard. Hopefully you will see your key within the week, but neither we nor Blizzard are making any promises on that count.

We are continuing to collect names and will be sending in a batch to Blizzard once a week hereafter. If you haven't signed up yet or didn't sign up in time for today's list you don't have to worry, you still have time to do so. Sign up here.

Also, don't forget about our Addons Gone Crazy contest. You have until 8 August 2008 to submit your funny, silly addon.

Last edited by Cairenn : 07-28-08 at 05:30 PM.
07-28-08, 06:55 PM   #100
x(wai)x
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Okay guys, I've sent in the first batch of names. If your ticket is: US 000001 - 000475 or EU 000013 - 000474, your information has been sent to Blizzard. Hopefully you will see your key within the week, but neither we nor Blizzard are making any promises on that count.
Thank you! *does a happy dance*

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Mod Author WotLK Beta Key Give-Away discussion thread