11-24-08, 01:36 AM   #1681
Heracy
A Defias Bandit
I love nui...i used it for a while, but then you suddenly took it in a direction i didnt like...so i used an older version until it broke. I used some various other mods for a while, but I decided to try out nui again, and from what ive seen so far, its not half bad. the only thing is, i dont like the way the top console needlessly spreads across the top of the whole screen, because it breaks the look of some of the other addons i have up there. also, i think the button for changing the hud style being up there is awkward, and i think it would do much better elsewhere, or you could just tell ppl to stop being lazy and use a slash command.
Thx for all your work on this mod, and i hope to use it for a long time.

11-24-08, 03:41 AM   #1682
Rohinh
A Defias Bandit
=/ don't know if this is an nUI problem or one of my other addons, but if you look at the center of my Screenshot..you'll see my debuffs ticking down in a bar...as well as where their supposed to be on the right hand side near the bag bar...and of course underneath the "health race" ...bar... if it is a new nUI feature is their a way to..say..turn it off? or maybe move the bars...because this shows up with some buffs, as well as debuffs causing an overlapping effect... which is very distracting. I didn't get an overlapping effect here because the only "self' buff i can cast that triggers it would be a Soulstone...which i had used before taking the screen shot =P. Thanks, and in the mean time i'll try and see if it is one of my other addons...

11-24-08, 03:56 AM   #1683
Tarkas
A Kobold Labourer
One request

Love this UI, as I'm trying to eliminate as much UI maintenance as possible.

I have only one request that's not covered yet. Having been bitten too many times before by lost keybinds with dead UI's, I do all my keybinds only in the default blizzard action bars section. Is it possible to toggle display of these keybinds with your bar mod?

11-24-08, 03:59 AM   #1684
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Rohinh View Post
=/ don't know if this is an nUI problem or one of my other addons, but if you look at the center of my Screenshot..you'll see my debuffs ticking down in a bar...
Looks like Fortewarlock. You can either turn it off in the addons, or type /fw and look for the options to make it moveable (enable the header)

Or its the timer from Necrosis (didn't see the orb first), just right click it and look through the menus if it

It's not a nui feature anyway, so look for add ons like dotimer or the like.

Last edited by Seer : 11-24-08 at 04:07 AM.

11-24-08, 05:32 AM   #1685
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
At a glance, I would say that was Crystal that was creating the buff bars in the center of the screen. I can tell you it is not nUI.

Originally Posted by Rohinh View Post
=/ don't know if this is an nUI problem or one of my other addons, but if you look at the center of my Screenshot..you'll see my debuffs ticking down in a bar...as well as where their supposed to be on the right hand side near the bag bar...and of course underneath the "health race" ...bar... if it is a new nUI feature is their a way to..say..turn it off? or maybe move the bars...because this shows up with some buffs, as well as debuffs causing an overlapping effect... which is very distracting. I didn't get an overlapping effect here because the only "self' buff i can cast that triggers it would be a Soulstone...which i had used before taking the screen shot =P. Thanks, and in the mean time i'll try and see if it is one of my other addons...

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

11-24-08, 05:40 AM   #1686
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Heracy -- the console spreads across the top to make it seamless among other things. However, the primary reason for that design is to support bar buttons such as FuBar and Titan and eventually nUI's own bars. Of course, you could use '/nui console off' or '/nui console mouseover' and you wouldn't see it at all except when you need it.

As for "breaking the look of some other addons I have up there" -- it would be a virtual impossibility for me to design a UI that integrated with the look of every other mod made... not happening. I can only do my best and focus on making nUI look as good as I can, no way I can make it look good with every other mod someone might choose to use.

As for the HUD button. Meh... yeah, there might be a better place for it, I haven't thought of one yet. How about you? The problem with slash commands is people are lazy, they don't RTFM (read the * manual) and even when they do, they want to be able to open a GUI and click something. It's human nature and you cannot fight it.

Good software development is not arrogant. It listens to the users and does its best to accomodate them when and where it can within reason.

Originally Posted by Heracy View Post
I love nui...i used it for a while, but then you suddenly took it in a direction i didnt like...so i used an older version until it broke. I used some various other mods for a while, but I decided to try out nui again, and from what ive seen so far, its not half bad. the only thing is, i dont like the way the top console needlessly spreads across the top of the whole screen, because it breaks the look of some of the other addons i have up there. also, i think the button for changing the hud style being up there is awkward, and i think it would do much better elsewhere, or you could just tell ppl to stop being lazy and use a slash command.
Thx for all your work on this mod, and i hope to use it for a long time.

11-24-08, 05:44 AM   #1687
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Tarkas View Post

I have only one request that's not covered yet. Having been bitten too many times before by lost keybinds with dead UI's, I do all my keybinds only in the default blizzard action bars section. Is it possible to toggle display of these keybinds with your bar mod?
Well... I would hesitate to say I have a "bar mod" but that said, until this release nUI has always used the default Bliz bindings and it has been nothing but a headache from day one for a long list of reasons. As of this release, nUI will read the default Bliz bindings and copy them to its own bindings which I believe and hope has eliminated all of the key binding issues that have come along before. I would have liked to have stuck with using Bliz's action bar bindings, but it just wasn't working in the long run.

11-24-08, 07:19 AM   #1688
Mindra
A Kobold Labourer
I am really interested in using the addon. I really like how it looks. I've emailed you with some questions about it

On someones statement about it being too big. Then you saying that's an issue that keeps coming up about being too big or too small. Well my first reply would be, "oh well" You make it to please yourself first. If others like it and want to use it...Awesome!!! If they don't like it, they don't have to use it. The second thing I would say is maybe see if there's a way to have the size issue, say have each user be able to change the size themselves? Make it to where each person can size it to their liking? Not sure if that's possible. Just a thought. But I have a large screen so it looks like it will be fine the way it is. Have a grand Day!!

11-24-08, 07:43 AM   #1689
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Thanks for the input Mindra -- I'm at work atm, so I'll respond to your e-mail when I get home this evening.

Originally Posted by Mindra View Post
I am really interested in using the addon. I really like how it looks. I've emailed you with some questions about it

On someones statement about it being too big. Then you saying that's an issue that keeps coming up about being too big or too small. Well my first reply would be, "oh well" You make it to please yourself first. If others like it and want to use it...Awesome!!! If they don't like it, they don't have to use it. The second thing I would say is maybe see if there's a way to have the size issue, say have each user be able to change the size themselves? Make it to where each person can size it to their liking? Not sure if that's possible. Just a thought. But I have a large screen so it looks like it will be fine the way it is. Have a grand Day!!

11-24-08, 02:43 PM   #1690
Hawk29
A Murloc Raider
Hey Spiel, I started using your UI recently and I have a few questions/comments. Is this a good place to ask you some questions or is there another thread you feel would work better?

Thanks!

11-24-08, 03:27 PM   #1691
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Nope -- this is decidedly the best place.

Originally Posted by Hawk29 View Post
Hey Spiel, I started using your UI recently and I have a few questions/comments. Is this a good place to ask you some questions or is there another thread you feel would work better?

Thanks!

11-24-08, 04:47 PM   #1692
Hawk29
A Murloc Raider
Cool.

First, I would like to say that I really like your UI. It's clean and well thought out. I previously used Taeo's UI and I really liked it, but most of the add-ons used in Taeo's UI are no longer supported. And your I believe your UI is a fine replacement.

That said, on to the questions.

Your tool tips - I really like that your tooltips can be repositioned so easily. It makes positioning them much easier than most other tooltips.

However, previously I've used several different add-ons for their customizable look and utility, such as Tinytip, TipTac and CowTip. And I would like to continue using an add-on that would allow me to have that additional functionality if it's at all possible.

I've tried setting your tooltips to the default settings in hopes that it would release those settings, allowing me to use a different add-on. However, it seems that the default setting simply repositions the tool tips to the default location maintaining your add-ons setting, correct?

If that is the case, would it be possible to disable your tooltips completely, allowing a different add-on to be used? Or would it be possible to allow some of the functionality that is available in some of the other more popular add-ons?

The Button Bag - I think I may have an add-on or two that are possibly causing havoc with it. When I click on the Button Bag icon some of the additional add-on icons show up around the mini map, but none of them are accessible. Only the four primary buttons are clickable or even available for mouseover. Is there typically supposed to be a "bar" or popup that appears when you click on the Button Bar icon? Or should the icons appear around the mini map available for clicking?

I am using FuBar 2, and I didn’t know if that could be causing a problem. I have been using FuBar/TitanPanel for a long time and depend in it a lot.

And help or suggestions would be great!

And a couple other requests / thoughts / suggestions.

The Hud - is there a way to add a frame around the names of the player and target? Being color blind, trying to find some of the bright text colors mixed in with the bright game colors can be a little difficult. A small frame and maybe a background surrounding the character info might be what it takes to make it just a little bit more visible.

Oh, and would it be possible to add the character level to the character info?

I think that’s about it. Sorry for the long post.

Again, I would like to thank you for all your hard work! You’ve done a GREAT job!

11-24-08, 04:58 PM   #1693
fludder
A Fallenroot Satyr

FuBar

I've found that FuBar + nUI = FUBAR'd UI

FuBar enabled gui goes to hell. Remove ONLY fubar ... No problems

Ive moved to SLDatatext and/or NOXInformation Bar

just my 2 cents

11-24-08, 05:06 PM   #1694
fludder
A Fallenroot Satyr

On someones statement about it being too big. Then you saying that's an issue that keeps coming up about being too big or too small.
My 2 Cents... nUI is built the way Scott wants it and most of us like it the way it is.

If Screen Realestate is your major gripe check out
SunnArt http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ewportArt.html
+
Bartender4 http://www.wowinterface.com/download...artender4.html

Sunnart will keep the entire viewport and Scrunch a 256 or 512 pannel at the bottom. Bartender4 will allow you to customize 10 Diff action bars and place them where you want them. There are plenty of minimap add-ons (like sexymap) and tonnes of other GuI-flash packs you can play with.

Scott has made nUI from the ground up and still kept it portable enough that you can add-on top of it if you wish.

11-24-08, 05:07 PM   #1695
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Hawk -- see my comments embedded below...

Cool.

First, I would like to say that I really like your UI. It's clean and well thought out. I previously used Taeo's UI and I really liked it, but most of the add-ons used in Taeo's UI are no longer supported. And your I believe your UI is a fine replacement.

That said, on to the questions.

Your tool tips - I really like that your tooltips can be repositioned so easily. It makes positioning them much easier than most other tooltips.

However, previously I've used several different add-ons for their customizable look and utility, such as Tinytip, TipTac and CowTip. And I would like to continue using an add-on that would allow me to have that additional functionality if it's at all possible.

I've tried setting your tooltips to the default settings in hopes that it would release those settings, allowing me to use a different add-on. However, it seems that the default setting simply repositions the tool tips to the default location maintaining your add-ons setting, correct?
When you set the tooltips to "default" then they go back to whatever the last "known" position was for the tooltips, but nUI no longer interferes with them. From that point on, you should be able to use another mod like CowTip and go from there. While the tooltips may go back to the last place nUI had them, they should be movable from there without nUI interfering anymore. If it is, then there's a bug I am unaware of. To the best of my knowledge, there are quite a few nUI users who also use CowTip and I haven't heard any complaints about tooltip position in quite a while (aside from those who didn't RTFM and didn't know about '/nui movers'

If that is the case, would it be possible to disable your tooltips completely, allowing a different add-on to be used? Or would it be possible to allow some of the functionality that is available in some of the other more popular add-ons?
This shouldn't be necessary.

The Button Bag - I think I may have an add-on or two that are possibly causing havoc with it. When I click on the Button Bag icon some of the additional add-on icons show up around the mini map, but none of them are accessible. Only the four primary buttons are clickable or even available for mouseover. Is there typically supposed to be a "bar" or popup that appears when you click on the Button Bar icon? Or should the icons appear around the mini map available for clicking?
When you click on the button bag button on the button bar (now there's a mouthful ~lol~) it should open a gold tinted bag immediately above the bar and that bag should contain all of your minimap buttons except the zoom in and out, the tracking and map buttons and the mail and PvP buttons which should still be around the minimap. *EVERYTHING* else should be inside the button bag. If not, there's a problem.

I am using FuBar 2, and I didn’t know if that could be causing a problem. I have been using FuBar/TitanPanel for a long time and depend in it a lot.
Wow... using FuBar and Titan at the same time... you're a glutton for punishment, aren't you? ~grin~ Kidding aside, I have *no* idea how nUI would respond to someone having both Titan and FuBar active at the same time. It *really* presumes you would use one or the other. I suppose if you only used Titan on the top of the display and FuBar at the bottom, it would work as nUI should tie the top console to the Titan bar and the bottom dashboard to the FuBar bar... if you have both at top or bottom, then all bets are off.

And help or suggestions would be great!
I have a couple of suggestions... none of which I suspect you'll like ~smile~

First... I would give some really serious thought as to whether or not you really need Titan and FuBar both. I cannot for the life of me imagine why other than emotional attachment to one feature or the other. Pick the bar you like best and choose replacement plugins for the features that you're using the other bar for. The bloat and overhead on your system must be intense and the potential for conflicts is huge. That is just friendly advice but I do have to say I don't think I could support someone using both bar mods with nUI in terms of code or assuring anything works correctly.

Second... if you're up to it and you're serious about giving nUI an honest go, I would suggest that you rename your Interface\AddOns directory to Interface\AddOns.saved and rename your WTF directory to WTF.saved then log back into WoW and set your video/sound options. Once that's done, exit WoW and install nUI. Log back in and make sure everything works right.

Only after you have done that, give *serious* thought to which addons you *really* need and install them one at a time, check after each one to make sure nothing broke. If anything breaks, post a message here or drop me an e-mail and we'll sort out why. I strongly suspect you'll find you don't need as much as you thought and you'll likely also find your game runs much better.

Just food for thought.

And a couple other requests / thoughts / suggestions.

The Hud - is there a way to add a frame around the names of the player and target? Being color blind, trying to find some of the bright text colors mixed in with the bright game colors can be a little difficult. A small frame and maybe a background surrounding the character info might be what it takes to make it just a little bit more visible.
That is actually possible, I'm just concerned that others would find the backgrounds annoying and I end up in a catch-22 between those who want it and those who do not. That said, I can make an alternate set of HUD bars that include backgrounds for the HUD labels as an optional plug-in to nUI.

Oh, and would it be possible to add the character level to the character info?
It is in the unit frames. I can't see that there's a real need for it in the HUD which is really combat oriented. There comes a point when it becomes TMI (too much info) and it's pretty close to that now. A quick glance at the unit frame will tell you the target's level.

I think that’s about it. Sorry for the long post.
I don't mind at all. I value feedback from nUI's users... it wouldn't be the mod it is without that.

11-24-08, 05:16 PM   #1696
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by fludder View Post

just my 2 cents
The trick to using FuBar with nUI is to make *sure* that your FuBar bars, top and or bottom, are both (a) anchored to the top or bottom of the screen and not free floating, and, (b) are the full width of the display.

As long as you apply those two rules, nUI and FuBar should play well together.

Now... if you float your bars or your bars are not the full width of the display then you are absolutely correct... your UI is F.U.B.A.R. (not to be confused with FuBar)

11-24-08, 06:50 PM   #1697
Hawk29
A Murloc Raider
Nah, I only use FuBar, and the bar is both full stretch and locked to the top. I just meant that I like to have one or the other.

I just checked, and I am not getting the gold button bag for some reason.

When I click the button bag icon most of the minimap icons jump back to the minimap. Except for one or two I think. I think one icon is omen and the other is atlas. Neither jump to the map in the bottom middle, instead they go back to the default minimap location. But none of the icons are actually accessible to hover over or click.

I will reset everything as you suggested and try to figure out what may be causing the problems.

I see your point about the level being displayed n the Hud. That is what the tooltips are for.

Thanks, I will post if I can't figure out whats going on.

11-24-08, 06:54 PM   #1698
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by fludder View Post

just my 2 cents
You would be incorrect. I'm using FuBar (v3.5.5) with about 15 different plugins for it, and they all work fine - even with split bars at top and bottom - nUI adjusted fine and worked without a problem.

Marth

11-24-08, 07:17 PM   #1699
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Tarkas --

I've taken your request to heart and found a compromise that allows me to use the full power of the binding interface while still staying compatible with Bliz's default action bars.

Here's how it works as of the code changes I made this evening (which will be in the next update release)

When you log into WoW with nUI enabled, it reads all of the default Bliz action bar bindings, unbinds them and then binds the same keys to nUI's action bars. If you want to change your nUI action bar bindings, you do it through the Bliz keybinding interface (and I'll be adding a ctrl-alt-right-click option to set bindings on specific buttons, as well) using the sections defined for nUI's action bars. Now, when you go to log out of WoW, nUI takes all of its action bar bindings, unbinds them and then binds those same keys to the default Bliz action bars.

The net result is this... as long as nUI is enabled, the key bindings are made relative to nUI's action bars. However, any time you exit, those key bindings are not stored as nUI specific key bindings, but are stored as your default Bliz action bar bindings. Thus, if you then disable nUI and log in, ALL of your key bindings are saved and available.

So... no lost key bindings using nUI's action bars.

Originally Posted by Tarkas View Post

11-24-08, 07:20 PM   #1700
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Hawk -- I would bet you that you have a minimap mod or a button bag mod of some kind installed that's interfering. If you can't sort it out, e-mail a copy of your WTF\Account\{your account}\SavedVariables\nUI.lua file to me at [email protected] and I'll take a look at it.

Also, pay close attention to whether or not you're getting any error messages at load time. I have a mod called Swatter I can send you to trap errors if you like... just e-mail me and let me know you want it and I'll send it along to you.

Nah, I only use FuBar, and the bar is both full stretch and locked to the top. I just meant that I like to have one or the other.

I just checked, and I am not getting the gold button bag for some reason.

When I click the button bag icon most of the minimap icons jump back to the minimap. Except for one or two I think. I think one icon is omen and the other is atlas. Neither jump to the map in the bottom middle, instead they go back to the default minimap location. But none of the icons are actually accessible to hover over or click.

I will reset everything as you suggested and try to figure out what may be causing the problems.

I see your point about the level being displayed n the Hud. That is what the tooltips are for.

Thanks, I will post if I can't figure out whats going on.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement