A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
it is currently 13:34 PST
07-22-10, 02:37 PM   #502
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Emythrel View Post
Is it just me or does the "keep me logged in" check box seem somewhat out of place on a blizzard site, since they have such stringent security
Ahahahahahahahahaaha! You bought that? Blizzard has, by design, horrible security.

Lets say your password is PassWord123ZxX

ALL of the following will let you login to your wow account:

password123zxx
PASSWORD123ZXX
PassWord123ZxX
pASSwORD123zXx
PassWord123ZXX
PassWord123zxx
PassWord123Zxx
PassWord123zXX

but not

PASSword123ZXX

My nephew had an 12 character password using upper and lower case letters and numbers, but since all lowercase works, his account was easily hacked (his password was something in the pattern like BGBsMitH218g which would normally be reasonably secure).

His mistake was using the same email address (his only one) for battle.net and the various wow-related websites. I created an email account for him on my server that he could use *only* for battle.net, which will reduce the odds of his getting hacked, at least until blizzard spews his login ID to the entire server via their RealID evilness.
07-22-10, 02:40 PM   #503
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Bah, I could never work out american timezones..... but im pretty sure PST is still 12:30 and PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) its 13:30

Since PST is GMT-8 and atm its 20:30 GMT

Edit...... checked and PST is GMT-8 quote from website....

Time zone offset: UTC (also known at GMT) - 8 hours
I don't really know the proper use of PDT vs PST lol. I just know it's 4:39PM where I live which is +3 to California time.
07-22-10, 02:40 PM   #504
Dralmoo
A Murloc Raider
It's actually 13:39 PDT (not PST) for those in Europe who are confused. Local Time for Blizzard in the summer is PDT.
07-22-10, 02:42 PM   #505
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Niagairt View Post
it is currently 13:34 PST
I cant believe i am actually bored enough to do this but....

PST is currently 12:40. people who live in this timezone will think this is wrong.... this is due to the same thing that happens elsewhere in the world....

When your clocks change for summer time the timezone changes too, it gets given a different name in PST's case its PDT. In the UK GMT becomes BST. However most of us don't use these names we just use what we are used to i.e PST.

So PST is actually an hour behind whatever time it currently is in California, and you are actually on PDT. Though you probably don't call it PDT, you still think its PST.

So if blizz made this mistake then Maintainance should be over, however if they didn't then it should be finished in 20 minutes or so.....

God im bored!!!!
07-22-10, 02:44 PM   #506
Jimbomcb
A Murloc Raider
Timezones always confused me...
07-22-10, 02:45 PM   #507
Niagairt
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I cant believe i am actually bored enough to do this but....

PST is currently 12:40. people who live in this timezone will think this is wrong.... this is due to the same thing that happens elsewhere in the world....

When your clocks change for summer time the timezone changes too, it gets given a different name in PST's case its PDT. In the UK GMT becomes BST. However most of us don't use these names we just use what we are used to i.e PST.

So PST is actually an hour behind whatever time it currently is in California, and you are actually on PDT. Though you probably don't call it PDT, you still think its PST.

So if blizz made this mistake then Maintainance should be over, however if they didn't then it should be finished in 20 minutes or so.....

God im bored!!!!

I meant PDT

13;45 PDT NOW
07-22-10, 02:47 PM   #508
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Anyways, Blizz actually stated maintainance would start at 11am PST, so im hoping they actually meant PST as it was around 11am PST (12pm PDT) that they posted and said it would be 2 hours.... lets hope they aren't so stupid as the rest of us and can use timezones correctly ;p
07-22-10, 02:50 PM   #509
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
lets play the "waiting for my beta key to work" game....

The rules are simple, whoever writes the last post before the beta keys start working wins a cookie!
07-22-10, 02:52 PM   #510
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I feel like they are properly using PST vs PDT, as the post was made at 11:11PDT and they said that the battle.net maintenance would start around 11PST, so it would be weird for them to say maintenance will be starting after it has already started.
07-22-10, 02:54 PM   #511
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Icecoldcoke View Post
I don't really know the proper use of PDT vs PST lol. I just know it's 4:39PM where I live which is +3 to California time.
The difference is because we change our clocks an hour in the summertime (aka Daylight Savings Time) because of this the time zone needs to change.

During PST you minus -8 from UTC. During Daylight Savings or PDT you minus -7 hours from UTC. In the US most states observe Daylight savings so you still +/- the same amount of hours you normally would to get the time in different time zones but if your in a place that does not observe dayight savings then the difference between PST and PDT means the difference of one hour.

For us in the US PST and PDT makes no difference. This is actually the first time I have really seen PDT used and had to actually look it up

Source
07-22-10, 02:56 PM   #512
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Icecoldcoke View Post
I feel like they are properly using PST vs PDT, as the post was made at 11:11PDT and they said that the battle.net maintenance would start around 11PST, so it would be weird for them to say maintenance will be starting after it has already started.
Now im really confused lol. It was almost two hours ago that they posted it..... and its now approaching 1pm PST. Therefore if they posted it at 11:11 PDT and its now 1:55pm PDT...... that should be 3 hours.

Me thinks that it should say PST on the timestamp on blizz forums and not PDT?

Edit.... maybe the blue tracker on WoR is slow or something....
07-22-10, 02:58 PM   #513
delciotto
A Murloc Raider
how bout i clear everything up for you guys, i live in PST is its 1:57PM right now :P
07-22-10, 02:59 PM   #514
Emythrel
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by delciotto View Post
how bout i clear everything up for you guys, i live in PST is its 1:57PM right now :P
we've been through this already... its not PST its PDT where you are
07-22-10, 03:00 PM   #515
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just found this
US Naval Observatory Master Clock Time

Jul. 22, 21:00:17 UTC Universal Time

Jul. 22, 05:00:17 PM EDT Eastern Time

Jul. 22, 04:00:17 PM CDT Central Time

Jul. 22, 03:00:17 PM MDT Mountain Time

Jul. 22, 02:00:17 PM PDT Pacific Time

Jul. 22, 01:00:17 PM AKDT Alaska Time

Jul. 22, 11:00:17 AM HAST Hawaii-Aleutian Time
07-22-10, 03:01 PM   #516
MysticalOS
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

just a thought, but aren't all blizzard game keys 26 chars, the beta keys are 25, the issue in the sites design could simply be the fact that it's looking for a 26 char key sequence. just for testing, i tried adding an extra number ot my beta key and instad of saying it was not a game code, it just said it was a game code but not a valid one...sometimes the simpliest things can be the cause of great bugs. i say blizz techs simply check that the database is allowing for keys that aren't 26 chars.
07-22-10, 03:01 PM   #517
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

The real question is: When will our keys work!
07-22-10, 03:02 PM   #518
omergurlek
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I'd advise you checking battle.net already. I think it's up

(I can't test myself if the keys work yet as I'm waiting for the next batch )
07-22-10, 03:02 PM   #519
Kaidian
A Theradrim Guardian

Originally Posted by MysticalOS View Post
just a thought, but aren't all blizzard game keys 26 chars, the beta keys are 25, the issue in the sites design could simply be the fact that it's looking for a 26 char key sequence. just for testing, i tried adding an extra number ot my beta key and instad of saying it was not a game code, it just said it was a game code but not a valid one...sometimes the simpliest things can be the cause of great bugs. i say blizz techs simply check that the database is allowing for keys that aren't 26 chars.
THIS! Just tried this myself
07-22-10, 03:02 PM   #520
Icecoldcoke
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Surprise! Blizzard didn't copy & paste all of our keys correctly and forgot the final #

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Massive AddOn Author Cataclysm Beta Key Give-Away!