08-19-09, 10:36 PM   #1
Nerdify
A Kobold Labourer
Thumbs up .rar wtf?

Alright so, I'm trying to install this totally awesome amazing awesomely awesome (you get the point) UI that I found on WoWInterface.

However, it keeps installing as a .rar file. I have no idea wtf to do with this. I am running on vista, sooo yeah.

Link to the UI - http://www.wowinterface.com/download...1050.html#info

THANKS A TON <3

08-19-09, 10:44 PM   #2
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Use 7-zip. rar is a type of compression (like zip). Download 7-zip and use it to extract the rar.

08-20-09, 12:16 AM   #3
Miralen
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I recommend Izarc over 7-zip because of some of the things 7-zip does. Mainly the issue I have is 7-zip copies the file(s) to another location before actually moving them to the folder you have dragged the file from and Izarc doesnt. Might work differently if I used the extract button but I never do I just drag and drop.

- Winston Churchill

08-20-09, 01:11 AM   #4
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

That's actually something that drives me nuts with large files. It can get annoying having to unzip files twice when they are 1gig+.

I think I'll give Izarc a try.

08-20-09, 01:49 PM   #5
Ne0nLiteZ
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Nerdify View Post
Alright so, I'm trying to install this totally awesome amazing awesomely awesome (you get the point) UI that I found on WoWInterface.

However, it keeps installing as a .rar file. I have no idea wtf to do with this. I am running on vista, sooo yeah.

Link to the UI - http://www.wowinterface.com/download...1050.html#info

THANKS A TON <3
Sorry to say this but if you dont know what a .rar file is youre going to have a very hard time installing a new UI. GL.

08-20-09, 01:52 PM   #6
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by Ne0nLiteZ View Post
Sorry to say this but if you dont know what a .rar file is youre going to have a very hard time installing a new UI. GL.
Well you have to learn somewhere.

08-20-09, 02:13 PM   #7
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Not every UI is in rar format .. some use zip as well. Most files are compressed using zip over rar. So when a rar is rarely used it can easily confuse one who has never encountered it before.

If your running Windoes XP or Vista it handles these as folders (Icon is usually a folder with a zipper on it) so they might not even know what a zip file is really.

And as Cralor said. One needs to learn somewhere.

..... next time try helping or leave your comments to yourself. There is no need to reply if you can't help. You see ... around here we like to help each other out as much as possible.

Last edited by Sepioth : 08-20-09 at 02:17 PM.

08-21-09, 06:08 PM   #8
Ne0nLiteZ
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
Not every UI is in rar format .. some use zip as well. Most files are compressed using zip over rar. So when a rar is rarely used it can easily confuse one who has never encountered it before.

If your running Windoes XP or Vista it handles these as folders (Icon is usually a folder with a zipper on it) so they might not even know what a zip file is really.

And as Cralor said. One needs to learn somewhere.

..... next time try helping or leave your comments to yourself. There is no need to reply if you can't help. You see ... around here we like to help each other out as much as possible.
Well they had already helped so I'm just saying he might want to learn more about files before doing things like this with them, which he did. (i hope)

08-21-09, 06:14 PM   #9
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well they had already helped so I'm just saying he might want to learn more about files before doing things like this with them, which he did. (i hope)

I'd have to say that anytime you feel you have to start a post with

Sorry to say this
it probably means that what you say will not be taken in any form of a good context. Text unfortunately, does not do a very good job of expressing sarcasm or emotion in any way, shape, or form. Just something to keep in mind for the future

08-21-09, 07:15 PM   #10
Ne0nLiteZ
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I'd have to say that anytime you feel you have to start a post with

it probably means that what you say will not be taken in any form of a good context. Text unfortunately, does not do a very good job of expressing sarcasm or emotion in any way, shape, or form. Just something to keep in mind for the future
Whatever, im not going reply more. Thanks for the ... tip. Last thing im going to say, Sorry to say as in, it sucks that you would have to learn because you have to go through more trouble.

Bye.

08-21-09, 07:26 PM   #11
Syxx
An Onyxian Warder

Yes, the OP could have taken 2 minutes and typed .rar into google to find out the info themselves, but they didn't and asked here. So instead of taking 20 words and being mean to them, posters took 20 words and answered the question.
Many people are generally lazy, look at 80% of the posts in Interface help forums, or simply don't get it.
The Admins/Mods around here have always kept things on a pleasant format and verbally spanking someone (no matter how light it is) is generally frowned on unless it's one of the mods, admins, or "special" (Featured authors is a good example) people.

EDIT: Oh you left.

08-21-09, 08:55 PM   #12
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
/sigh

I don't think I need to say anything more here...

I hope you were able to get everything figured out, Nerdify.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » .rar wtf?