06-29-13, 02:51 PM   #1
Balehawk
A Defias Bandit
Addons not showing up in AddOns screen on game launch.

Hi Gang, hope all of you are doing well. I am pulling mes hairs out over this one. I have downloaded three new AddOns to the correct folder, correct format. Fired client up, looked in AddOns button and they are not there. After closer inspection, I have noticed now that 80-90% of the AddOns in my AddOns folder are not showing up either. I have the "load out of date AddOns" checked, restarted, still no joy. I have did a google search and only posts I have seen are from several years back and those remedies provided no joy also.

So if any of yu Kind folk out there that are smarter than me would be willing to help preserver my little remaining hairs and sanity, I would be much abliged in your help.

Many Appreciative and Kind Thanks to you ALL.
06-29-13, 03:28 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's either the virtual store of Windows 7 messing with you or you have more than one installation of WoW on your computer.

Right-click the shortcut that you use to launch WoW, select Properties -> Find target.
This should open the correct folder where WoW starts.
Check inside Interface\AddOns to see if what should be there is there.

For the other part check if your addons are actually located under
C:\Users\”yourname”\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

If they are you've probably installed WoW into \Program Files\ and Windows is trying to 'protect' its users from themselves by not allowing them to mess with files into the \Program Files\ folder and instead mirrors those to the "Virtual Store".

Easiest way to solve this is to cut World of Warcraft out of \Program Files\ and paste it to another location, for example C:\Games\World of Warcraft\
Then copy your addons to the proper subfolder there \Interface\AddOns and update your shortcuts to point to the new location.
06-29-13, 06:18 PM   #3
Balehawk
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
It's either the virtual store of Windows 7 messing with you or you have more than one installation of WoW on your computer.

Right-click the shortcut that you use to launch WoW, select Properties -> Find target.
This should open the correct folder where WoW starts.
Check inside Interface\AddOns to see if what should be there is there.

For the other part check if your addons are actually located under
C:\Users\”yourname”\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

If they are you've probably installed WoW into \Program Files\ and Windows is trying to 'protect' its users from themselves by not allowing them to mess with files into the \Program Files\ folder and instead mirrors those to the "Virtual Store".

Easiest way to solve this is to cut World of Warcraft out of \Program Files\ and paste it to another location, for example C:\Games\World of Warcraft\
Then copy your addons to the proper subfolder there \Interface\AddOns and update your shortcuts to point to the new location.
I checked all that good info and all is good. What I eneded up having to do is, blow out AddOns folder, create a new one, then nerve rackingly extract all of the Addons and redo them and it seem to have worked. Thats a real ugly way to have to do this though as this fix was from years ago and would have thought Blizz would have fixed it to a better solution.

Many Thanks All, your all the BEST
06-30-13, 08:43 AM   #4
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Balehawk View Post
would have thought Blizz would have fixed it to a better solution.
It's how Windows 7 handles personal data when you install a program in the default "Program Files" location. It's so that there aren't any privacy issues, since if the game just stored your private data in the game folder under Program Files, any other user can also access that folder and read your stuff.

The OS simply tries to fallback to a more secure solution where your private data gets reallocated for each user account on the machine, instead of them all sharing one folder. By relocating like this you avoid privacy issues for shared machines.

For most home users the best way to avoid these issues is to install your games in C:\Games or something, anything but the default Program Files folder would make the program store data in their default behaviors instead of moving stuff around, confusing the novice computer users.

</rant>
09-15-15, 07:30 PM   #5
tgfamily
A Kobold Labourer
My particular problem of not finding the addon button on the character screen came about when transferring the World of Warcraft folder to a new computer C:\WorldofWarcraft .

For some reason (when I started the game via the launcher) the launcher decided that it needed to drag the entire game down from Battlenet. I let it, which was probably a mistake.

Unbeknownst to me a new launcher application was downloaded with default settings for where installs should be loaded to and where the wow executable should be picked up from.

The default location was C:\Program files (x86)\ and by default it created a folder named Battlenet.

Once I changed those settings (there are 2; Default Install Directory and World Of Warcraft under the Game Install/Update tab) to be C:\WorldofWarcraft the addon directory could be found and the button appeared.

I suspect its just the 'World of Warcraft' directory that needs changing as I have another computer still pointing Default Install Directory to c:\programs (x86) and its working fine.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Addons not showing up in AddOns screen on game launch.