01-29-07, 08:09 AM   #1
Knight186
A Fallenroot Satyr
Memory problem

I was using the scan option in Auctioneer. Just when it was about dones there was a message that said the interface memory was full. Is there a way to fix that so I can scan again? Any suggestions?
01-29-07, 08:14 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Yup. Go out to your character select screen. Open up the "interface options" (button lower left on the screen). In the top right corner you'll see UI Mem Usage. Increase that amount. Start by doubling it. If that isn't enough, double again. Or set it to 0 (zero). That means "unlimited".
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
01-29-07, 09:25 AM   #3
Knight186
A Fallenroot Satyr
At the risk of sounding retarded, I must ask. I have very limited gaming programming experience, but won't that continue to take up memory or is that telling the game that it will only run up to that much memory for the interfaces. I see what you are saying, but I just want to make sure that the memory doesn't continually compile and take up space on my computer.

I know...it may sound stupid, but like I said I have very little experience with the interface and game programming.

Thanks.
01-29-07, 09:45 AM   #4
PathMaster
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

The Zero is a good way of making sure you don't run into problems. If you are worried about running into memory problems, look into a few garbage collection mods. Fubar plugin PerformanceFU has one. I use ace mods and on first load its a little slow and the memory is at near 55, but after I ask it to do a garbage collection, it shrinks down to 35 or so. Much better then my previous amount of 60+.

Fubar plugins can act as Minimap icons if you dont use Fubar.
01-29-07, 09:47 AM   #5
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would not suggest '0', as some addons have memory leaks and could continue to use the memory till you crashed, not to mention in the meantime slowing down game performance and causing other issues.

I have mine setup for 60 megs, which with my 40 some odd addons, is more than enough memory for them. I usually sit around 28-33 megs used during normal gameplay, and up to 42 megs during gathering missions.

But I would start with 60, and increase by 12 from there on out. If you have to go beyond 90 megs though, it is probably a good idea to look into your addon settings, and just the addons themselves. Something is hogging up too much memory and should not be. You can use FuBar & PerformanceFu to keep an eye on your memory usage and to force Garbage Collections.

Hope this helps.
01-29-07, 09:55 AM   #6
Knight186
A Fallenroot Satyr
Ok thanks. I'll look into the performance mod for garbage collection. I think the problem is with Auctioneer scans. I just think the scan memory is piling up instead of overwriting the old scan. I tried getting rid of Auctioneer.lua and doing a new scan which is what their forum suggested, but it didn't work. I'll try this to see if it works. If it doesn't then oh well I guess I won't be using auctioneer scans.
01-29-07, 11:07 AM   #7
MentalPower
Auctioneer Lead Developer

Premium Member
Featured
That's Normal

Auctioneer is very memory hungry, and it needs to be due to the fact that its profitability calculations require an ample data-set to be reliable. Now I'm not saying that there is no memory leak, but I am saying that in order for us to be able to guarantee that we get all of the data for a particular scan we keep both datasets (old and new) in memory for the duration of the scan.

After the scan has finished we sanitize the new data and merge/overwrite it with the old data. Immediately following we call the 'collectgarbage("collect")' function to force a full garbage collection cycle to purge the old un-merged data from memory. For this reason, Auctioneer routinely requires a large chunk of memory when its scanning, and its object (note that I said object, not garbage) creation hovers from 50-100kb/s depending on the sort of scan being performed.

That being said, setting the memory limit to 0 might be a good idea to get a feel for how much memory Auctioneer will consume during a scan. After you've noted the max memory while the scan is being performed you can set your memory limit to a sane number (Max Memory + 30%).

I should point out that setting your memory limit to 0 does not cause any adverse effects other than the fact that the game will not boot you for exceding an artificially enforced limit.

"If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt"
-Anonymous

Last edited by MentalPower : 01-29-07 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling in title.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Memory problem