04-07-06, 12:59 AM   #41
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kudane
My assumption is that it is a specific quest she has on that character that is causing an error once Boss-Quest (or will it be QuestFu soon) fnishes scanning.

There is no error message that I can find. She had one on login (partial) but it has not resurfaced. Only thing I could see was "Compat.lua" and "Arguement #1"
Given the symptoms, it sounds very much like something is going horribly wrong in UpdateTooltip(). Horribly, horribly wrong.

Since I haven't yet managed to reproduce it myself, I've been grasping at straws on exactly what that thing is. As you say, it sounds like it might well be a quest which triggers some weird condition which I can't see that hits an infinite loop.

(If people don't mind being slaves to a poor addon author's testing, lists of the quests that are in the logs of characters that crash would be very helpful.)
04-07-06, 01:04 AM   #42
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Devla
Should I create a new bug report? I didn't want to post in the old one because I was afraid you may not see it.
I reopened the bug. I thought it was beat, but...
04-07-06, 01:06 AM   #43
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Scorpia
I have been looking to replace my Titan Panel stuff, and I would be very interested in this plugin if you could possibly, please include a quest completion sound?

Also, now that I think about it, and I am sure that it is already in there, perhaps I missed it. Displaying quest item information in the tooltip? MQ does this and I wanted to make sure that BP-Q will also.
FuBar - QuestsFu (name changed) does the tooltip item/mob display. (Though I noticed that it's not doing it in the loot window, so I'll need to find out what else I have to hook for that.)

As for sounds... I don't know. I'll have to go look into how it's done.
04-07-06, 02:09 AM   #44
neriak_x
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Kemayo
And another! This gets rid of some problems which could occur on the first scan of the quest log.

I think this will clear up the problem Devla and others have experienced, but I haven't been able to duplicate it myself yet, so I'm not sure.
I really hope so, because I would love to use your addon
04-07-06, 02:21 AM   #45
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Here's the questlog on one of my characters (52 UD Priest) getting Freezes:
04-07-06, 02:35 AM   #46
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Hmmm. You have a PvP quest. None of my characters do -- this may be worth investigating.
04-07-06, 12:33 PM   #47
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

So, why don't you make a post over at
http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php/board,4.0.html

Ask for opinions about the issue(s) and see what response you get. No sense beating yourself up about the issues. Its possible one of the members will look at your code and give you an answer.
04-07-06, 02:15 PM   #48
BlackPhoenyx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
If I've done this right, this should be a viewable list of the quests of my character that keeps freezing with QuestFu loaded.

http://www.rpgoutfitter.com/WoW-GM/c...&action=quests

Code:
Arathi Highlands
Lvl	Name                             Tag         Links
42	Breaking the Keystone            Elite       alla|thott
Scarlet Monastery
38	Mythology of the Titans          Dungeon     alla|thott
40	In the Name of the Light         Dungeon     alla|thott
Stranglethorn Vale
40	Colonel Kurzen                   Elite       alla|thott
40	Panther Mastery                  Elite       alla|thott
40	The Curse of the Tides           Elite       alla|thott
40	Troll Witchery                               alla|thott
41	The Bloodsail Buccaneers                     alla|thott
41	Venture Company Mining                       alla|thott
42	Skullsplitter Tusks                          alla|thott
44	Voodoo Dues                                  alla|thott
44	Zanzil's Secret                              alla|thott
47	The Captain's Chest              Elite       alla|thott
Tanaris
45	Stoley's Shipment                            alla|thott
Uldaman
40	The Lost Dwarves                 Dungeon     alla|thott
43	Reclaimed Treasures              Dungeon     alla|thott
Warrior
40	The Summoning                    Elite       alla|thott
Zul'Farrak
46	Tiara of the Deep                Dungeon     alla|thott

Last edited by BlackPhoenyx : 04-07-06 at 02:24 PM.
04-07-06, 02:45 PM   #49
bengstra
A Defias Bandit
Here's another possible oddity. This BossPanel freezes only when I log my druid. It doesn't freeze with my Hunter, Rogue, or warrior. The odd part ... it freezes when a friend of mine logs his druid. I don't believe he has any matching quests.
04-07-06, 04:47 PM   #50
Kudane
Co-Founder

Here is the quest list for my wife's character. She is a 42 Nightelf Hunter. I will keep watching to see if you have any updates. If I get it to reproduce on any other characters I will post more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quest-list.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	530  
04-07-06, 04:53 PM   #51
Kudane
Co-Founder

I have sat and compared all three posted quest logs. One thing I see is that ALL of them have at quest in TWO or more instances.

I am going to have wife ditch her one for mauradon, and try loading QuestFu (still Boss-quest on her machine). Will post results afterwards.

Edit: Same issue, slight change. This time it got as far as displaying 16/20 and hiccupped (ie moved a little) once. but then froze again and never came back.

Sooo my theory of two instances maybe out. If Devla had ZF quest, I would say it might be something with ZF quest.

Kudane

Last edited by Kudane : 04-07-06 at 05:06 PM.
04-07-06, 05:17 PM   #52
BlackPhoenyx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Well, another commonality is a quest with 4 different items that need to be collected. There are not many of those either. So that may be a candidate as well?

Edit: Or maybe not. Another character, another freeze. No 4-item collection quest. I'll keep looking too.

Last edited by BlackPhoenyx : 04-07-06 at 10:29 PM.
04-07-06, 06:00 PM   #53
Ardsagart
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Does this mod require BabbleLib now ? I just updated my FuBar mods, and keep getting messages:

In function 'UpdateData' FuBarUtils.Deformat("text", "pattern") has been deprecated. Please use BabbleLib:GetInstance("1.0").Deformat("text", "pattern")

I am using an English client, so I am hoping I don't need to add a useless dependancy on BabbleLib :\
04-07-06, 06:19 PM   #54
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Ardsagart
Does this mod require BabbleLib now ? I just updated my FuBar mods, and keep getting messages:

In function 'UpdateData' FuBarUtils.Deformat("text", "pattern") has been deprecated. Please use BabbleLib:GetInstance("1.0").Deformat("text", "pattern")

I am using an English client, so I am hoping I don't need to add a useless dependancy on BabbleLib :\
Nah, it doesn't. As I understand it, BabbleLib is embedded in FuBar, so I just need to update my calls for the new API.
04-08-06, 01:30 AM   #55
Kudane
Co-Founder

Removed the off-topic discussion. Back to QuestFu!

Sorry for the distraction, this was not the place to discuss it.

/bow
04-08-06, 01:44 AM   #56
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Okay. Here's two versions of it with some further checks added. If helpful people who're experiencing the lockup could try them out and let me know what happens I would be most appreciative.

First: FuBar_QuestsFu-0.2.1.1.a.zip is just 0.2.1 with some extra error-checking to try to prevent infinite loops.
Second: FuBar_QuestsFu-0.2.1.1.b.zip is 0.2.1.1.a with the objective-displaying in the tooltip ripped out.

I have some people mentioning that setting up character-specific profiles stopped it for them. I'm not sure why this would be, as I'm not storing anything particularly important. Especially not anything involved in loops.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FuBar_QuestsFu-0.2.1.1.a.zip (9.9 KB, 675 views)
File Type: zip FuBar_QuestsFu-0.2.1.1.b.zip (10.0 KB, 647 views)
04-08-06, 02:32 AM   #57
BlackPhoenyx
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Sadly, for both versions, I just get the same things as before.. the scan runs, but shortly after displaying the number of quests in the bar it freezes up.

Ditto on the "Profiles", for me, setting up a profile didn't change the problem. I created seperate profiles for characters, and left QuestFu out of them. But as soon as I enabled it, it would scan, show the numbers, and then freeze.

Last edited by BlackPhoenyx : 04-08-06 at 03:18 AM.
04-08-06, 04:04 AM   #58
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by BlackPhoenyx
Sadly, for both versions, I just get the same things as before.. the scan runs, but shortly after displaying the number of quests in the bar it freezes up.

Ditto on the "Profiles", for me, setting up a profile didn't change the problem. I created seperate profiles for characters, and left QuestFu out of them. But as soon as I enabled it, it would scan, show the numbers, and then freeze.
In that case, let's do this the brute-force way.

FuBar_QuestsFu-0.2.1.1.c.zip - Nothing removed - lots of debug statements added. Make a note of what the last lines it prints out before it freezes are.

(Yeah, I'm asking you to deliberately make WoW commit suicide. I don't even pretend that this one will make it better. But it'll either let me know where the problem is or let me eliminate a lot of potential problem-areas. So.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip FuBar_QuestsFu-0.2.1.1.c.zip (10.3 KB, 590 views)
04-08-06, 04:08 AM   #59
Devla
A Cobalt Mageweaver

BlackPhoenix, Delete the file:
\WTF\Account\AccountName\SavedVariables\FuBar_QuestsFu.lua
(where AccountName is your WoW Account name)
Then try again.

I'm no longer freezing with version 0.2.1.1.a, on both my characters that were freezing with 0.2.1.
04-08-06, 04:11 AM   #60
Kemayo
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Devla
BlackPhoenix, Delete the file:
\WTF\Account\AccountName\SavedVariables\FuBar_QuestsFu.lua
(where AccountName is your WoW Account name)
Then try again.

I'm no longer freezing with version 0.2.1.1.a, on both my characters that were freezing with 0.2.1.
If you still have that sitting in your recycle bin, would you mind uploading it so I can see what was going on with it?

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » BossPanel_Quests