05-10-09, 10:47 PM   #1281
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Because you have hope that people will see the evidence and actually accept it for what it is. The reality of whats actually going on.
This is why I'm still here. If I can convince just 1 wow matrix supporter of why wow matrix is bad I feel I've done my job. If I can convince 1 person that they don't need to be updating their addons every day and no Manually updating an addon isn't the hard ardous process people think then I believe I have done my job.

Or as Martin Luther King JR says :

Originally Posted by Martin Luther King JR
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war, that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become reality.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 05-10-09 at 10:50 PM. Reason: doing my job not my Jon (silly handsome sandwich maker man)
05-10-09, 11:37 PM   #1282
HonorGoG
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
I think HonorGoG was being sarcastic Or perhaps trying to make a point. Honestly I dunno, but I think it was in fun
Well, I'm glad someone actually noticed. For those of you who think I'm a complete moron, you're probably correct but it's also obvious that you need to watch Animal House again. Seriously.
05-10-09, 11:40 PM   #1283
Drakstyr
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by honem View Post
This is why I'm still here. If I can convince just 1 wow matrix supporter of why wow matrix is bad I feel I've done my job.
You and many of the others posting here have helped convinced me to change. I'll be honest, I never knew about any of these issues until patch day hit and everything stopped working. Then I came here, poured over this thread and realized just what exactly was going on. So I changed, booted up Curse's UI to see what it had to offer and just never looked back. Trying to port everything over was a pain in the arse, but other than that it has been smooth sailing.

This is my first post here, but I feel it is the most relevant to why I just registered. I wanted to say thank you to all those who have made these addons, for I (as a self-proclaimed addon junkie) could not play WoW without them. I also thank those who host and make this site possible, for it sure would be hell to get these addons updated and going without them.

I do not mean to make this as another fanboy post - rather a note towards honem and all others who present both arguments that there are those who are watching who haven't posted but still make very crucial decisions regarding the future of this site, Curse, WoWMatrix and even addons in general.
05-10-09, 11:59 PM   #1284
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Drakstyr View Post
You and many of the others posting here have helped convinced me to change. I'll be honest, I never knew about any of these issues until patch day hit and everything stopped working. Then I came here, poured over this thread and realized just what exactly was going on. So I changed, booted up Curse's UI to see what it had to offer and just never looked back. Trying to port everything over was a pain in the arse, but other than that it has been smooth sailing.

This is my first post here, but I feel it is the most relevant to why I just registered. I wanted to say thank you to all those who have made these addons, for I (as a self-proclaimed addon junkie) could not play WoW without them. I also thank those who host and make this site possible, for it sure would be hell to get these addons updated and going without them.

I do not mean to make this as another fanboy post - rather a note towards honem and all others who present both arguments that there are those who are watching who haven't posted but still make very crucial decisions regarding the future of this site, Curse, WoWMatrix and even addons in general.
From the WoWInterface veterans and supports:

Thank you!

Last edited by Zyonin : 05-11-09 at 03:37 AM.
05-11-09, 12:10 AM   #1285
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Drakstyr View Post

05-11-09, 03:06 AM   #1286
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Jalandar View Post
To quote Cairenn, they are damned if they do (host them) and damned if they don't. You complain when they host, you complain when they instead link to the downloads.

Then maybe those authors shouldn't have gone and removed the open source licenses to be spiteful against WM.......If they had stuck with the open source license, WM could legally distribute the most recent versions, and it would be less headache for them all around......

But don't release under an open source license and then whine when someone exercised their legal rights under that license......or whine that they distribute an older version when you took steps to change the license specifically because you didn't like them exercising their legal rights you granted them.
You are now back to square one, authors are the owners of their AddOn's and have the full right to do what ever they want with it. You never see Microsoft make the software open source to help a competing software developer.

I truly do not understand how you can say that authors should support a site, that has put up their work without asking permission, not taking down their work when asked too, edit their work and remove their names and licenses from it, not providing any helping tools (repository, forum, tickets, hosting space), hurting the community they do truly support....

Just to make it clear before you start trolling, all my AddOns are "Public Domain".

Another thing, i installed the old WoWInterface UI Manager yesterday, and i will just say one sentence,
what the f are you guys complaining about?
05-11-09, 04:06 AM   #1287
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Bruners View Post
*Snip*
Another thing, i installed the old WoWInterface UI Manager yesterday, and i will just say one sentence,
what the f are you guys complaining about?
I think most were complaining about the fact that it didn't automagically recognize every addon right off the bat. That said, I did the same thing when I first started using it. Loaded it up, it was blank. I kept having to input all the ID numbers from here to identify the addons. Long story short, (check's "valid on" date of Man-Card)...I didn't read the directions :P

Works flawlessly after I read the directions, lol. Fast as all hell, simple, easy to use. I'm thrilled with it as is, still can't wait to beta test Minion though
05-11-09, 04:19 AM   #1288
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I think most were complaining about the fact that it didn't automagically recognize every addon right off the bat. That said, I did the same thing when I first started using it. Loaded it up, it was blank. I kept having to input all the ID numbers from here to identify the addons. Long story short, (check's "valid on" date of Man-Card)...I didn't read the directions :P

Works flawlessly after I read the directions, lol. Fast as all hell, simple, easy to use. I'm thrilled with it as is, still can't wait to beta test Minion though
I simply pushed the Install New button and it picked up all the AddOns on my favorite list, then Install All Favorites, Voila i was done.
05-11-09, 04:27 AM   #1289
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I simply pushed the Install New button and it picked up all the AddOns on my favorite list, then Install All Favorites, Voila i was done.
Yeah, lol....I didn't read that far at the time. I saw "Mod updater" and went OOOO! Shiny! Install now please! After putting in all the ID's, then I found out about the favorites button and how it had been just sitting there chuckling, laughing at the fool I was for not reading how the updater worked and using it
05-11-09, 09:59 AM   #1290
grimme
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
The very site that you slander is the same site that you use to distribute your addon for free? Big cahones. Really really big ones.

Whoa hold it there chief! You act like the donations people give to addon authors support their crack habits or something sheesh.

Be honest. The Premium service you pay for here at WoWInterface along with the other subscribers and the ad speace brings in a hell of a lot more money than donations to a single addon does.

Thats exactly why Curse.com and WoWInterface exist...to make money. And they do so by hosting the work of addon authors. ( Stop right there with your tirade, WoWI fanboy, thats NOT an insult or a dig but a simple statement of fact ) Its a decent business model and one that works well for them.

Just because everyone doesn't agree with the decisions that were made doesnt make them disrespectful. In fact, I am not posting over at Curse simply because I have ABSOLUTELY no respect for them at all and will never return there...ever, which sucks because next patch day this site will be as inaccessible again as it has every single patch day Ive tried to access it, including 3.1 which WoWMatrix was already blocked.
05-11-09, 10:21 AM   #1291
FrankN
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Thats exactly why WoWMatrix exist...to make money. And they do so by using other sites bandwidth. ( Stop right there with your tirade, WoWMatrixI fanboy, thats NOT an insult or a dig but a simple statement of fact ) Its a decent business model and one that just stoped working for them.
Good arguments
05-11-09, 11:14 AM   #1292
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by grimme View Post
Whoa hold it there chief! You act like the donations people give to addon authors support their crack habits or something sheesh.

Be honest. The Premium service you pay for here at WoWInterface along with the other subscribers and the ad speace brings in a hell of a lot more money than donations to a single addon does.

Thats exactly why Curse.com and WoWInterface exist...to make money. And they do so by hosting the work of addon authors. ( Stop right there with your tirade, WoWI fanboy, thats NOT an insult or a dig but a simple statement of fact ) Its a decent business model and one that works well for them.

Just because everyone doesn't agree with the decisions that were made doesnt make them disrespectful. In fact, I am not posting over at Curse simply because I have ABSOLUTELY no respect for them at all and will never return there...ever, which sucks because next patch day this site will be as inaccessible again as it has every single patch day Ive tried to access it, including 3.1 which WoWMatrix was already blocked.
Originally Posted by FrankN View Post
Good arguments
Well guess what, any business that doesn't have incoming money will stop to exist sooner or later.

Grimme, do you really need to respect someone to use their service?
05-11-09, 12:27 PM   #1293
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by grimme View Post
You're reply has nothing to do with what I said. You missunderstood.. completely. However, as long as the person I was replying to understood what I said, I care not.

Last edited by Petrah : 05-11-09 at 12:30 PM.
05-11-09, 12:42 PM   #1294
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Donations fund my crack habit. But then, it's probably not the crack habit you all think it is.
05-11-09, 01:26 PM   #1295
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
Donations fund my crack habit. But then, it's probably not the crack habit you all think it is.

extratexthere
05-11-09, 01:33 PM   #1296
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Somehow I think I don't want to know...
05-11-09, 02:01 PM   #1297
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

? Or maybe ?
05-11-09, 02:24 PM   #1298
Bruners
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

05-11-09, 02:26 PM   #1299
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I chuckled
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
05-11-09, 02:30 PM   #1300
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Oh, so you are talking about drugs?

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users