10-16-08, 09:11 AM   #1
FinsterDexter
A Murloc Raider
Question WUU and WOWI

Last night, I fired up WUU (WoW UI Updater) and was trying to add some mods from WOWI (specifically Lightheaded and TomTom) and it was erroring out. So, I went to the wowace forums to check the WUU thread for any news and noticed this where the WUU developer said this about WOWI:
"They disabled everything unless you're logged in, so, yeah :P"
So, he's kinda making it sound like WOWI is purposely disabling WUU from updating from WOWI.

I figured I would come to the source and ask here if that is the case. And I'm really not trying to start a flamewar or anything like that. Just curious if WOWI really is blocking WUU on purpose.
10-16-08, 10:23 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
We are blocking WoWMatrix on purpose. WUU just gets hit at the same time. It's better this way anyhow - our servers can only handle so much traffic, as you have probably seen already if you've gotten a server error screen. (Hopefully we can get another server for the next patch! )
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-16-08, 01:01 PM   #3
FinsterDexter
A Murloc Raider
That makes sense.

Meanwhile, I installed the WOWI UI Updater and will have to use that, I guess. With the way Curse is going, I think more and more people will use this site anyway, so maybe... someday... there will be a day where only ONE downloader client will be necessary!

Anyway, thanks for the response! I much prefer WOWI to other sites... even WITH the occasional server messages.
10-16-08, 01:15 PM   #4
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This has since been unannounced publicly except in chat channels, but I might as well come out and say it:

The MMOI Manager (replacement of WoWI's current updater) will be written with a plugin system to support the various MMOI sites. Because it will be an open source project, it will be possible for other sites as well to go ahead and write modules for it to work with.

This means, while I will not be writing up modules to work with Curse and other sites (I don't feel this would be right for them -- feels too much like WoWMatrix all over again), it would be possible if so desired for users or Curse staff to go ahead and write a module to allow it to tap into Curse, etc.

Currently there is no ETA on this project, unfortunately. Until then, good luck with your patching,
-- Shirik
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
10-18-08, 02:21 AM   #5
Vint
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
This has since been unannounced publicly except in chat channels, but I might as well come out and say it:

The MMOI Manager (replacement of WoWI's current updater) will be written with a plugin system to support the various MMOI sites. Because it will be an open source project, it will be possible for other sites as well to go ahead and write modules for it to work with.

This means, while I will not be writing up modules to work with Curse and other sites (I don't feel this would be right for them -- feels too much like WoWMatrix all over again), it would be possible if so desired for users or Curse staff to go ahead and write a module to allow it to tap into Curse, etc.

Currently there is no ETA on this project, unfortunately. Until then, good luck with your patching,
-- Shirik

Consider this an early request for Mac support, preferably with the same feature set that you put into the windows version.. heck, include *nix support to while you're at it
10-18-08, 08:56 AM   #6
Nari
A Kobold Labourer
While you are making this great site so difficult to other updater than your own, you really should make WoWInterface UI Manager easier to use. Especially the part where addons that are already in addons folder are added to updater. It is very annoying to search and browse those addon id numbers from site. Last time that I tried to register an old addon to updater, it wasn't even possible to add more than on at the time.
10-18-08, 02:51 PM   #7
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
We are, look at Shiriks post above.

Originally Posted by Nari View Post
While you are making this great site so difficult to other updater than your own, you really should make WoWInterface UI Manager easier to use. Especially the part where addons that are already in addons folder are added to updater. It is very annoying to search and browse those addon id numbers from site. Last time that I tried to register an old addon to updater, it wasn't even possible to add more than on at the time.
10-18-08, 06:51 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Vint View Post
Consider this an early request for Mac support, preferably with the same feature set that you put into the windows version.. heck, include *nix support to while you're at it
There will be. The original wowi updater has unix/mac support as well.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-19-08, 02:08 AM   #9
Vint
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
There will be. The original wowi updater has unix/mac support as well.
I'm actually more concerned with feature parity. I've used the current wowi updater and it's well, it is what it is, it's not as good as some of the third party updaters, but it's better then other updaters out there.

I'd hate for poor planning to result in really cool feature X being added to the windows version, and not to the Mac/*Nix version also.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » WUU and WOWI