06-22-13, 12:06 AM   #1
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
UNIT_HEALTH and the BossN unitid

I'm wondering if someone can help me understand some rather odd behavior regarding the UNIT_HEALTH event and the BossN unit IDs.

I wrote my own unit frame addon during the LK beta and have just this evening gotten sufficiently fed up with the default BossN unit frames to add the code for them -- I swear I'm gonna do it every time I'm in an instance and apparently forget as soon as the raid is over (this is your brain, this is your brain on WoW...etc).

Note: I have no idea how this works in an actual instance b/c I ran into this prior to setting foot in one, so take that for what it's worth.

I noticed that when you are allocated an NPC companion (e.g., the Shado Pan dailies in Townlong Steppes) that NPC companion slots as UnitID "Boss1". However, UNIT_HEALTH does not fire no matter how much trashing the Boss1 unitid takes unless I have the Boss1 targeted, in which case UnitID "target" and UnitID "Boss1" both receive UNIT_HEALTH triggers. This is expected behavior for a unit that is targeted (events for both UnitIDs) however I would expect that UNIT_HEALTH would fire for Boss1 when NOT targeted, however it does not.

Note: "focus" and "target" both seem to correct the "BossN" behavior. Behavior is the same if I disable or leave enabled the default BossN unitframe (if left enabled, the default unitframe displays correctly)

That UNIT_HEALTH triggers when the BossN Unit is targeted, it would seem to indicate that there isn't any companion event to UNIT_HEALTH that would cover BossN UnitIDs (and looking through the event list didn't show any). I took a look through some other UnitFrame mods in case there was some oddity with the event firing that I needed to know -- I didn't see any but I may have simply overlooked it.

So I find I must appeal to you, gentle reader, to perhaps point me in the direction of what the hell I'm missing.
06-22-13, 12:11 AM   #2
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

This thread will be of interest to you.
06-22-13, 01:27 AM   #3
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

So much thanks it overflows the edit box.
06-22-13, 03:57 AM   #4
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

No problem.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » UNIT_HEALTH and the BossN unitid