06-01-08, 06:52 AM   #1
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Magelo for WoW Now in Beta!!

Last edited by Petrah : 06-02-08 at 07:02 AM. Reason: removed links - see my post below

06-01-08, 07:04 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Excellent! I adored Magelo back in EQ.

*Wonders if her old EQ account is actually still around*

/edit Well, if it is, I can't remember what I had it registered under, so I'm gonna go with "Nope, not still there".
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 06-01-08 at 07:10 AM.

06-01-08, 07:17 AM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Last edited by Petrah : 06-02-08 at 07:02 AM.

06-01-08, 07:37 AM   #4
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oooh, this looks really cool.

Thanks for the link Slienia.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7

06-01-08, 09:00 AM   #5
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

How does the Magelo Sync thingy work? What does it install exactly and how does it collect data?

What does authentic character means and how is it certified? Why are they not using the armory (or are they)?

06-01-08, 12:34 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Kaomie View Post
How does the Magelo Sync thingy work? What does it install exactly and how does it collect data?

What does authentic character means and how is it certified? Why are they not using the armory (or are they)?
Dunno if I can answer all these lol. Magelo Sync grabs your character information right from the game as you are logged in. It installs, well, the Magelo Sync software so you can synch your character(s) lol. I used the one for EQ for almost 3 years... it's perfectly safe.

Authentic I think means that your profile has not been tampered with.. meaning you didn't log into your account there and place bogus stats in there for your toon. It's certified because you can only use their software to sync your characters. No, they do not use the Armory at all.. the information is pulled right from the game while you are running it. I keep mine running and it stays hidden by my system clock. When I'm ready to log into the game, I click on the Icon and choose WoW and the game opens... once I log into a character, I can go back to the little Sync window and synch my character if she has any new items on her, leveled, or got new gear.. it will show up on my profile online for everyone to see (unless I make my character private, which you can do).

I hope I answered those properly heh.

*Edit* This should answer most of your questions, and if not... Jelan and his team are really nice people and will answer whatever questions you have. http://wow.magelo.com/discover_magelo.jspa

Last edited by Petrah : 06-01-08 at 12:39 PM.

06-01-08, 01:51 PM   #7
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Magelo Sync grabs your character information right from the game as you are logged in. It installs, well, the Magelo Sync software so you can synch your character(s) lol. I used the one for EQ for almost 3 years... it's perfectly safe.
Then it is not something for me. I will never use a piece of software which runs at the same time as WoW. This is totally regardless of whoever is publishing it, their intentions, or how well known they are to the community. Give me an addon that collects data which you can upload somewhere (this is the way RPG-Outfitter was doing it). Too bad because there is obviously a huge amount of work and skills in this and the site does look very well polished and integrated

Last edited by Kaomie : 06-01-08 at 01:59 PM.

06-01-08, 01:57 PM   #8
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Kaomie View Post
Then it is not something for me. I will never use a software which runs at the same time as WoW. This is totally regardless of whoever is publishing it, their intentions, or how well known they are to the community. Give me an addon that collects data which you can upload somewhere (this is the way RPG-Outfitter was doing it). Too bad because the site does look very well polished and integrated
That's what I thought after I read about how it collects data on it's site.

06-01-08, 02:49 PM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

06-01-08, 02:52 PM   #10
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

06-01-08, 03:07 PM   #11
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Honestly, I fail to see the issue.
It's an executable that runs during WoW, that's mining information from the client. Where isn't there an issue there?
Oh wow, you think Magelo is an addon? Really? It's not an addon. If it were an addon, Sony would of banned it a long time ago.
When did Sony come into play with this? The only thing Sony did was make EQ I/II, which Magelo took data from. If Sony banned it from their game, that doesn't mean A) people would have stopped using it, and B) it stops Magelo from being used for other games.

06-01-08, 03:42 PM   #12
kasca
A Frostmaul Preserver
Then if you don't like things running in the back ground. What are mods? If your so against these kinds of mods. Then way don't you start a campaign again the cheats that people are using in wow?

06-01-08, 03:50 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Just fyi, there is a difference between mods (addons) and 3rd party software. Addons do not run in the background - they run from *inside* WoW. Addons are perfectly legit to use, though they are not supported by Blizzard, it is Blizzard's code which allows them to exist/function. If an addon does something that Blizz does not approve of, then Blizz changes their code so that the addon does not work any longer.

(edit) All profiles sites that I have seen, which pull from the game instead of the armory, have an addon (like CharacterProfiler) which saves your data in its saved variables. You then use the site's software or something like UniUploader to send that addon's saved variables to their server to display on the site. Saved variables are only written to upon logout or reloading the UI. (/edit)

I am curious about this Magelo as well. If there is not an addon to install and their sync program does not pull from the saved variables of such an addon, then... WoW is a closed box. The only way for 3rd party software to interact with WoW or get data from WoW legitly is if Blizz allows it (iTunes on Macs, the display panel on G-15 keyboards, etc.).

How exactly does Magelo grab your information in "real time" while you play, and will Magelo get you banned? I don't know the answers.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 06-01-08 at 03:54 PM.

06-01-08, 04:12 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Since it seems that this program is against the TOS, and it hasn't been explicitly approved by Blizzard (at least not yet), then we advise people not to use it until you hear more information. We would hate to see people banned for this. Warden (the part of WoW that looks for stuff like this) might not like the looks of what this program is doing, as what it does (it seems to read from what WoW puts into memory?) is against the TOS.

The link will be removed from the first post. If Blizzard officially and explicitlly approves of what this program does, or if they change their method of acquiring their data, then (and only then) will we endorse this software.

Blizzard is not SOE and WoW is not EQ. Just want to be safe, people.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 06-01-08 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typos >.<

06-01-08, 04:40 PM   #15
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Oh wow, you think Magelo is an addon? Really? It's not an addon. If it were an addon, Sony would of banned it a long time ago.
i think Kaomie was saying:

"instead of an executable running in the background while WoW runs, i'd be more comfortable with an addon that simply collects data (such as in an SV file, for example) which i can then upload to a site. this would provide the same functionality in a safer manner"

i don't think she was confusing Magelo with an addon.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy

06-01-08, 04:54 PM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Exactly. Magelo *not* being an addon is the sole point of people's concern over it.

06-02-08, 07:03 AM   #17
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Wheres the option for me to remove my account from this forum?

06-02-08, 07:35 AM   #18
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't get it. Why would they go through the trouble of making a third-party executable when that information could be already gleaned either via an in-game add-on or an already established interface into Blizzard's databases, i.e. the armoury. It seems like they've overcome a significant technical challenge (reading complex structured data about your character by examining a running copy of the WoW process) that explicitly violates the TOS for little to no benefit.

Am I missing something? Are they able to get important information that they are not able to get through the standard two mechanisms? If not, then that does sound very suspicious.

Last edited by Mazzlefizz : 06-02-08 at 07:37 AM.

06-02-08, 08:10 AM   #19
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Beats me Mazzle. If you except bags and keyring content I guess everything else could be retrieved from the Armory.

However Magelo Sync does more than collecting data, it also seems to act as a bridge between WoW and the Magelo site: depending on live contextual data (zone you enter, mob you are fighting) it displays the appropriate additional information and gives links to the corresponding pages on the site. Again this is a very good idea, but it still breaks WoW ToS.

Nonetheless I am pretty sure they could come up with a very similar product and service using an addon or set of addons. You may not be able to directly click on links to open web pages, but it could be close enough. It is not like we did not have those discussions regarding addons pulling info from external databases, so they do exist already (and so far have been ruled to be okay).

I was thinking they used an external app to better control access to the information based on subscriptions (after they get out of beta), but if the website is designed appropriately it should not even matter at that point. Maybe it was just all a matter of offering the easiest solution for users with an all-in-one simple app.

Hopefully they just overlooked the WoW ToS based on their experience with EQ, or like you said we are missing something somewhere.

Last edited by Kaomie : 06-02-08 at 08:18 AM.

06-02-08, 09:02 AM   #20
Alkar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I have to say you are all incredibly funny.. Who cares if you don't want to use it cause you don't understand how it works. Who cares if you want to use it there is no reason to bite peoples heads off.. This person was just giving some information. I used Magelo for yrs and yrs with EQ also. It's a prog that has been around for a very long time. Like i said befor who cares if your goin to use it or not. Nobody was askin if you were. ?Just give out info about the prog :P

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Magelo for WoW Now in Beta!!