06-14-19, 08:35 AM   #1
kulturnilpferd
A Murloc Raider

Angry Wow 8.sucks -- can't even use fstack or move an actionbutton

Hey there,
i am the developer of beardley's diablo orbs and quit playing and developing since 7.2.5.
I came back to prepare my addon for Classic WoW by installing the ptr client 8.2

I login and what da fuck have they done to this beautiful game? I have no Problem with the lore, OK fucked AS hell but never mind.
Beide that the new UI sucks so much i can't find a word how much i hate it.
Also not a problem, bcaus i can use framestack to identify buttons. Fuck that! I got only fucking long hexadecimal strings with not a slightest hint were the fuck belong to.
So whats the idea oft this piece of crap???
Sorry for this harsh words, it's not your fault and i never insult someone just please... HELP ME =(
06-14-19, 08:46 AM   #2
d87
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Use this https://github.com/Gethe/FrameStackGlobalizer
06-14-19, 08:50 AM   #3
kulturnilpferd
A Murloc Raider

Thumbs up

That's exactly what I am looking for. Thank you

Last edited by kulturnilpferd : 06-14-19 at 08:52 AM. Reason: writimg in phone with german auto correction... worse than wow bfa ;)
06-14-19, 11:49 AM   #4
kulturnilpferd
A Murloc Raider

Even now it's still fucked.
The game crashes now even if I want to move ActionButton1. Thats really a joke what did they do with these. Even the port from WoD to Legion wasn't so fucked.
Are you aware how they misstreated us addon programmers? Did you fully comfortable with this shit that is actually happen? To be true, they give a fuck on the beta forum before bfa released. Same here with the modding community in my opinion. Just sad it doesn't make any more fun to program an addon for this bullshit
06-14-19, 05:35 PM   #5
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by kulturnilpferd View Post
Even now it's still fucked.
The game crashes now even if I want to move ActionButton1. Thats really a joke what did they do with these. Even the port from WoD to Legion wasn't so fucked.
Are you aware how they misstreated us addon programmers? Did you fully comfortable with this shit that is actually happen? To be true, they give a fuck on the beta forum before bfa released. Same here with the modding community in my opinion. Just sad it doesn't make any more fun to program an addon for this bullshit
I'm not seeing the crashes you are describing and I move frames around all the times including action bars and buttons.
06-14-19, 06:25 PM   #6
kulturnilpferd
A Murloc Raider

Get that fixed.
If SetScale gets wrong value its crashing
Must have been changed, too due this new UI
06-15-19, 07:40 PM   #7
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Get that fixed.
If SetScale gets wrong value its crashing
Must have been changed, too due this new UI
See this post for the work around... it is only a problem with addons that customize the minimap or buttons and forget to take the new frame changes into account.

https://www.wowinterface.com/forums/...ad.php?t=56445

I used to get that error when I first started updating nUI for Legion or BfA.
06-17-19, 04:20 PM   #8
kulturnilpferd
A Murloc Raider

Ok, I have got it to work but these Addon that should make /fstack usable again just decodes the first name of the variables. After the dot there's still a hex value. (PTR client)
Is this a bug and if so is this bug also ported to the classic beta?

Last edited by kulturnilpferd : 06-17-19 at 04:26 PM.
06-17-19, 04:43 PM   #9
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
It means the frame hasn't been given a name when it was created ie. CreateFrame("Frame", nil, ...)
06-17-19, 04:45 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Ok, I have got it to work but these Addon that should make /fstack usable again just decodes the first name of the variables. After the dot there's still a hex value. (PTR client)
Is this a bug and if so is this bug also ported to the classic beta?
Nope, not a bug. Just a way for displaying information about frames with no names. As far as I have understood this change in the last expansion or 2.

And yes, seeing as Classic is based on 8.2 code framework I would expect the same would be there. Of course not being in the beta I can't confirm that.
06-18-19, 04:12 AM   #11
kulturnilpferd
A Murloc Raider

So the only way to itentify names on frames was now to do...what? Reverse engineering and look into the code from Blizz?
That is a fucking joke! I hate Blizzard sooo much for their new fucky way of shit they're doing... So frustrating...
Just able to move the actionbar buttons thats ok but some microbuttons can be moved but not be scaled.
Released a beta on github if someone is interested to look into it:
https://github.com/Kulturnilpferd/Be...o-Orbs-Classic

Last edited by kulturnilpferd : 06-18-19 at 04:28 AM.
06-18-19, 05:38 AM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
So the only way to itentify names on frames was now to do...what? Reverse engineering and look into the code from Blizz?
That is a fucking joke! I hate Blizzard sooo much for their new fucky way of shit they're doing... So frustrating...
Just able to move the actionbar buttons thats ok but some microbuttons can be moved but not be scaled.
Released a beta on github if someone is interested to look into it:
https://github.com/Kulturnilpferd/Be...o-Orbs-Classic
Nope, /framestack will show you the frames under the mouse .. even those without names it seems, these are the ones with a random string of characters to identify them. Whether those string of characters are usable by addons to access the frame itself I don't know, but they are normally connected to its parent frame that may have a name. Give it a test ..

As to your complaints to changes to the game, if you haven't done already, maybe you should make those complaints to the developers of wow instead of the site used by addon developers, who have no control over Blizzard code. Blizzard won't be able to see your complaints if you haven't informed them of them.
06-18-19, 06:24 AM   #13
kulturnilpferd
A Murloc Raider

Trust me, they'll get a lot of shit from me ^^
Sorry for my harsh words it's very depressing work, I must rehaul simply everything because of a stupid marketing descision made by blizzard. Fuck that let's go into it, I have cursed them enough

I have already done it to get it to work.
Just one simple thing I am struggling now is moving the StatusTrackingBarManager (or simply the EXP bar).
Do you maybe have a hint for me how I can manage that?
06-18-19, 11:28 AM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Unfortunately not, they changed that in the last expansion. nUI creates its own status bars and hides blizzards ones.

Maybe see if there are addons that seem to have that functionality and see how they did it.
06-18-19, 02:48 PM   #15
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
... these are the ones with a random string of characters to identify them. Whether those string of characters are usable by addons to access the frame itself I don't know...
If I remember right, the random hex number is the pointer address you get when you tostring() the frame. The pseudo-name isn't registered as a global so you'll have to either enumerate the children of the parent or all frames to get to it.
06-19-19, 03:56 AM   #16
kulturnilpferd
A Murloc Raider

Ok, I will think about hook something there to the SetPoint Function to get it to work. Maybe another Frame makes this possible, hook something.... Dunno but have plenty of time ^^ When I find a good solution I let ya know. Thanks alot for all advices
06-26-19, 01:27 AM   #17
LudiusMaximus
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

I just discovered that you can press ctrl while hovering over a frame with framestack!
This opens a "Frame Attributes" window showing you the global name of the frame in the title bar.

This also works for frames which FrameStackGlobalizer cannot resolve as you can see in the screenshot. The mouse cursor is not visible but I am hovering over the TalentMicroButtonAlert frame (highlighted green by fstack). The Frame Stack tooltip only shows the hex values (in spite of FrameStackGlobalizer) but the "Frame Attributes" window shows the global name TalentMicroButtonAlert allright.

By the way: Can anyone tell me why the fstack tooltip sometimes shows these bottommost yellow lines (fsobj...) but mostly it does not? What is this anyway and why is it not displayed at all times?

Last edited by LudiusMaximus : 06-26-19 at 01:34 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Wow 8.sucks -- can't even use fstack or move an actionbutton