07-20-11, 04:43 PM   #1
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Some ideas I've been toying with.

I'm not sure if any of you recognise the feeling, but sometimes I get this sudden rush of inspiration for making something completely original and awesomely sounding, but I'm almost entirely sure that it's way beyond what I can do or it won't turn out as good as it sounds on paper.

Two addon ideas in particular have been crossing my mind a lot lately, and I've been coding some of the foundations, but neither of them are anywhere near a state of being screenshot-worthy.

The first one kind of started out as an idea for an April's Fools prank for my UI users, but then I started to think it was kind of neat. The idea is to make an in-game lua-coded operating system, based on iOS, that would let you run several lua 'apps', such as a notepad, a calculator, an alt tracker, a 'social networking' app that would scan your friends list, guild etc for people using the same addon (though I am absolutely not even close to near enough downloads for that ), tips, FAQ, etc. All these functions would be accessible from a window with app-like icons in them. It'd be called FreeOS, or something.

The second idea is more recent. I thought of a sort of 'splash screen' for the UI, that would (if turned on) show you a welcome screen upon login. There'd be a tip of the day, upcoming calendar events, personal notes, etc. It would also - this is the main focus - suggest things for you to do in WoW based on your preferred activites (raiding, pvp, questing, achievements, roleplaying, ...). On Wednesdays, raiders would be suggested to find a BH group, PvPers would be informed of the TB weekly and conquest cap resetting, etc. Achievement hunters would be informed of holiday events, role-players would be suggested whether or not to look for RP depending on the day of the week etc.

--

I know these ideas are crazy, but that's why I like them. What do you think? Utterly useless? Awesome? Let's hear it, and if you've ever had similar weird ideas, feel free to share.
07-20-11, 10:51 PM   #2
Taryble
A Molten Giant

That first one sounds pretty interesting - in more of a "That's really cool, but I'll probably never use it, sadly" way. One of those "great coding exercises" people come up with.

The second one, on the other hand. Well. Yes. WTB in standalone addon form? *Grin*
07-21-11, 10:02 AM   #3
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I love both ideas, but like Taryble said for the first one, I don't think I'd use it. On the second one the only flaw I could think of is if you DC during raid or some type of fast speed action the splash screen could potentially cause major problems for you.

They both sound pretty cool though!
07-21-11, 11:01 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, you could code it so that it doesn't appear when logging in while in a dungeon and/or raid group.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-21-11, 11:33 AM   #5
jasje
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This guy alrdy made a login splash you can look into
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...I_Customs.html

Tukui | Github

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Some ideas I've been toying with.