10-14-12, 05:32 PM   #1
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Apology for no update yet

The Battlegrounds are driving me crazy ... I have them enabled, and when you enter one of the new ones it is working, but it's not displaying the map just a green window (with the carts drawn overtop).

They have nothing anywhere calling the battleground maps so I'm not sure where things are going wrong yet... but it's taking forever to figure out since I can't join a BG then just sit there and work on code, else they'll report me for afk.

Why is nothing ever easy... LOL

10-14-12, 05:35 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Temple of Kotmogu is working now... so it's just silvershard mine doing it

10-14-12, 06:24 PM   #3
Goranth
An Aku'mai Servant
LOL enough people get away with it as it is, just run a BG bot

JK I hate those things :P could you not join a skirmish match with volunteers?

10-14-12, 08:43 PM   #4
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I might not use Carbonite, but honestly Rythal, chill, relax, take a deep breath or a few hundred. Carbonite is huge, and your plans for its evolution are difficult, to say the least.

Break it down into steps. Set milestone dates, and you know what, if you don't make them, so what? Little steps. If you keep looking at what is broken or needs changing, it will seem overwhelming. Sit back, and enjoy the little things. The users can and will wait.

10-14-12, 11:09 PM   #5
crazzzzi
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

yup, what you've done so far is phenomenal, everyone knows the code was a train wreck when you took this on, so focus on one area at a time, it'll come together

10-15-12, 03:53 AM   #6
LostinTime
A Murloc Raider
Rythal your doing great. Relax. Every addon has hiccups.

10-15-12, 08:34 AM   #7
DHubert
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
I might not use Carbonite, but honestly Rythal, chill, relax, take a deep breath or a few hundred. Carbonite is huge, and your plans for its evolution are difficult, to say the least.

Break it down into steps. Set milestone dates, and you know what, if you don't make them, so what? Little steps. If you keep looking at what is broken or needs changing, it will seem overwhelming. Sit back, and enjoy the little things. The users can and will wait.
I agree whole heartedly. We all know Carbonite has had issues for a very long time yet we *make do* for now because what does work is awesome. The old saying of how does one eat an elephant comes to mind... The answer is one bite at a time. As your work goes forward, it might come to *breaking* some features to recode others.... I can be patient as Carbonite goes through renovations... knowing the end result holds such promise.

You have nothing to apologize for.

10-15-12, 11:10 AM   #8
Zoltar118
A Defias Bandit
I am new on this forum, but have been using carbonite since burning crusade I believe. I love it and can't wait till its back up and running smoothly again. Patiently slumming through quests using the default blizz quest tracker and maps. Ugh lol. That being said, the features I hope you work on, is the quest color blobs on the map, waypoints and waypoint routing for gather feature. I depend HEAVILY on the gather feature and I'm slumped on my gathering professions without this lol. Rythal, don't get too stressed with updating this, cause we all love the addon, and will wait without flaming you when we know you are working to provide us with quality work. just keep up the good work!

10-16-12, 09:21 AM   #9
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
The Battlegrounds are driving me crazy ... I have them enabled, and when you enter one of the new ones it is working, but it's not displaying the map just a green window (with the carts drawn overtop).

They have nothing anywhere calling the battleground maps so I'm not sure where things are going wrong yet... but it's taking forever to figure out since I can't join a BG then just sit there and work on code, else they'll report me for afk.

Why is nothing ever easy... LOL
Does the map work the same in War Games as it does in "real" BGs? I'm sure some guild would be happy to take you into a War Game to let you work on it. You have fans.

10-16-12, 06:03 PM   #10
Michaelgal
A Murloc Raider
Rythal you are the best, take your time.

10-16-12, 07:10 PM   #11
S@thi
A Theradrim Guardian

No need to put more pressure on yourself.
take a deep breath...
I think milestones would be a great way to track progression.

10-18-12, 12:29 AM   #12
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Here's what's done so far.... (still can't figure out silvershard mines damnit)

- Small bug fixes in questing from lua errors sent in
- Native Archeology Blobs on carbonite map
- Option under "Show" right click menu for enabling or disabling them
- Transparency Option for the blobs under "Transparency" right click menu
- Native Quest Blobs on carbonite map instead of the temporary fix minimap blobs
- Same options as archeology above
- Checked and fixed any problems with instances that were not showing (I actually flew to every one and zoned in to verify they worked now)
- Auto-zooming to instance maps scale (works in every instance i've tried EXCEPT Scarlet monastary, for some reason it does not trigger a zone change when you first enter it.. will work on trying to fix that later)
- if tomtom emulation is enabled, now supports the /way command
- every file is now utf-8 instead of ascii so hopefully localization works out of the box

still to do:
- fix wandering isle map
- figure out the silvershard mine map
- have quest blobs test if they are known internally before drawing to avoid overlapping duplicates in old world zones that carbonite already drew it's own blobs for

10-18-12, 04:51 AM   #13
timmarc18
A Murloc Raider
Wow nice progress so far. Keep it up bud.

10-20-12, 01:04 PM   #14
hexda3m0n5
A Kobold Labourer
Herro

IMO i am not worried about the maps for BGs i just want the quest tracker to work like it once did. I want to be able to do my quests without having to tab out for the ones that are not in the database. also with the rep the way it is i do have one real request. a quest line tracker. I want to be able to open the trackers and set it to find the closest quest so that i can finish the areas out. this would also be good for anyone who wants to finish every single quest in the game.

10-21-12, 04:22 PM   #15
Kathan
An Aku'mai Servant
That's a mighty nice list of upgrades!

I'm looking forward to quest blobs on the main map instead of the mini-map.

(tbh, you should just use the blizzard POIs instead of Carbonites old ones, but that's just me. Having one tiny blob out in the middle of nowhere for one quest mob that happened to be placed there out of some masochist feeling from a quest designer was just odd...)

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Apology for no update yet