03-05-07, 05:32 AM   #1
Bohemienne
A Kobold Labourer
Dual Logging Questions

Hi guys,

I have a 70 mage and a 70 priest, and have recently made my priest my main. As healbot spec for raids it's extremely difficult for me to solo-farm so I use my mage to farm gold, but as the priest is an enchanter, there are a number of world-drop BoP enchanting formulas that I would like to be able to farm up. Naturally the first idea I had come to mind would be to split the priest off to a separate account and discover the joys of dual-logging!

However I have a few questions first.... first and foremost I want to know if this is a bannable offense. Seeing as how the mage is Naxx-geared and the priest Karazhan-geared I would really prefer to avoid having either one perma-banned and want to make sure I stay well within the ToS and EULA.

Secondly, the idea I had for such a setup is thus:

I use MirageUI with TrinityBars currently. What I'm envisioning doing is creating a separate action bar, almost like a "pet" bar, on the mage that is full of nothing but macros for my most frequently used priest spells (PW:S, top-rank Renew, GHeal Rank 1 and 7, top-rank FHeal, Fade) and a "Follow" and "Stop Following" macro as well. I am curious if I can set up WhisperCast or a mod like it on the priest so that, by pressing, one of the "priest bar" buttons while in the window with the mage, she will whisper the priest or somehow otherwise feed the priest a trigger that will make the priest start casting, without requiring me to swap through different windows or interfere with either character's cast bar. Is this doable with WhisperCast or any other mod? Is this the sort of thing that would send a giant red flag to a GM? Would this qualify as "botting" and be a bannable offense?

I want to go about this the right way and I don't want to break EULA, but I would really like to be able to dual-log farm with my beloved toons. Any advice you all can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
03-05-07, 06:17 PM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
First the one main problem your going to have is if both characters are on the same account then you can't play both at the same time as you can not log the same account in to the WoW servers twice. Also you can't transfer characters to another account (as far as I know).

And as far as using one character to control the other through a mod and the chat system I believe you may fall into a lot of problems with that. One most likely being the fact that the character can be considered a BOT which is usually defined as a character that is not controlled directly by a player and as far as I know they are not allowed by Blizz (again could be that I'm wrong) The second problem will be how much of the Blizz UI is locked up now making it where a lot of stuff is no longer allowed.

If this can be done then good luck to you but I think you might be out of luck here.
03-05-07, 06:32 PM   #3
afguy0127
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Sepioth
First the one main problem your going to have is if both characters are on the same account then you can't play both at the same time as you can not log the same account in to the WoW servers twice. Also you can't transfer characters to another account (as far as I know).

And as far as using one character to control the other through a mod and the chat system I believe you may fall into a lot of problems with that. One most likely being the fact that the character can be considered a BOT which is usually defined as a character that is not controlled directly by a player and as far as I know they are not allowed by Blizz (again could be that I'm wrong) The second problem will be how much of the Blizz UI is locked up now making it where a lot of stuff is no longer allowed.

If this can be done then good luck to you but I think you might be out of luck here.
To be honest I can't be of much help, but I wanted to correct Sepioth on the bolded statement. You can transfer one character to another account, as long as the same first and last name is on both accounts. I did it with my priest. It does have to be a paid character transfer though.
03-05-07, 07:28 PM   #4
Kudane
Co-Founder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
1. Each WOW account will only login with one character at a time, when you log in to a 2nd character, the first will be bumped out. -- this feature alone prevents you from getting yourself in trouble.

2. You can "dual-box" two copies of the game on one machine and play two seperate accounts* at the same time. My recommendation is to copy your WOW folder to a new location (ie, a 2nd hard drive, or another spot on your hard drive) for the 2nd login, this will reduce the amount of lag and possible disconnects as each folder is feeding one character instead of one folder trying to remember which character should be getting what.

3. The Paid Character Transfer will allow you to transfer to a 2nd account that is registered to the same name as the first. Please read the FAQ carefully to see all the disclaimers.

4. There is no way to "remotely" control your 2nd character. You can use a game pad or G15 to setup macros (ie /target <first character> cast <spell>), even addons like Whisper Cast that will allow *some* quickness and would let you jump back and forth. But ANY program you could download that would automate or "pet control" your second character would most likely violate the EULA in the aspect of "automated game play"

My recommendation would be too run two copies in windowed mode. you can easily click back and forth and with some simple macros and "auto follow" you would have the effect you want. I have seen this done many time and all of it is well within the rules of the game that Blizzard layed out.

I hope this helps

*Blizzard does not condone account transfers, and both account would need to be in your *real* name. There are post in the blizzard forum all the time about people who try to "cheat" the character-transfers and get caught, soo stick with the rules and you will be fine.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Dual Logging Questions