07-25-21, 08:36 AM   #1
cheesewiz
A Fallenroot Satyr
A faster tool for searching items on the ah

TSM is great and all but it takes too long to load on my old computer. Also, because of how TSM scans work, there's a 100 item cap before a delay is implemented on the scan. I've been talking with a few guys who helped develop GoblinStockAlerts. According to what we discovered while making that tool, you can send blank searches on the auction house and get back every item on the AH with a little bit of scrolling. This doesn't have a cap or anything that'll slow it down, the results are instant and you can scan every item within 5 seconds on each connected auction house. Theoretically, you could send a call then reference a list of items and display the current lowest listed price for each item. Could someone write an addon that does this?

Last edited by cheesewiz : 07-25-21 at 08:59 AM.
07-26-21, 08:14 AM   #2
briskman3000
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I use Auctionator to do all my auction stuff. It has a full auction house scan function that completes pretty quickly. It also has a "shopping list" function that you can put a list of certain items and it will show you the prices of those items.
07-26-21, 07:00 PM   #3
cheesewiz
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by briskman3000 View Post
I use Auctionator to do all my auction stuff. It has a full auction house scan function that completes pretty quickly. It also has a "shopping list" function that you can put a list of certain items and it will show you the prices of those items.
This doesn't do what I'm trying to achieve. This, along with TSM and another other mainstream AH tool, scans each item one at a time. The proposed method discovered by the GSA devs would be able to scan the entire auction house, and print back results, within a matter of seconds without hitting Blizzard's 15 minute cooldown.
07-26-21, 08:09 PM   #4
elcius
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
the GetAll request is not instant, it streams the auctions over at 2048/second, you can work with the results instantly but you'll obviously only have access to the data that has already arrived.
Also new auctions (anything posted after the request was made) will arrive last in the stream or possibly not at all, and obviously any auctions created after the request completes will not be received.
It is the fastest way to get the prices of multiple items, but the main draw back is that the data is expiring rapidly, so if it takes you 3-4 minutes to make use of that data and list all your items, the prices you're working with may be 3-4 minutes out of date, and to get a more recent price for any item you need to clear the results to make another request, this removes the ability to directly purchase auctions from the GetAll results so all purchases would need to again be done with a traditional page-based scan.
Also people generally do a pretty poor job of implementing GetAll requests, with most just trying to feed the entire list of results into their auction data handler at the end of the scan instead of processing it as it arrives, this leads to huge performance problems.
07-27-21, 08:41 AM   #5
cheesewiz
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by elcius View Post
the GetAll request is not instant, it streams the auctions over at 2048/second, you can work with the results instantly but you'll obviously only have access to the data that has already arrived.
Also new auctions (anything posted after the request was made) will arrive last in the stream or possibly not at all, and obviously any auctions created after the request completes will not be received.
It is the fastest way to get the prices of multiple items, but the main draw back is that the data is expiring rapidly, so if it takes you 3-4 minutes to make use of that data and list all your items, the prices you're working with may be 3-4 minutes out of date, and to get a more recent price for any item you need to clear the results to make another request, this removes the ability to directly purchase auctions from the GetAll results so all purchases would need to again be done with a traditional page-based scan.
Also people generally do a pretty poor job of implementing GetAll requests, with most just trying to feed the entire list of results into their auction data handler at the end of the scan instead of processing it as it arrives, this leads to huge performance problems.
GetAll isn't the way to go. SendBrowseQuery() has no cooldown and you can keep calling RequestMoreBrowseResults() until you exhaust returned items. This gives a dump of the entire auction house in under 5 seconds. I just need a way to array the results with a list I have then sort that list by cheapest price listed.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » A faster tool for searching items on the ah