09-10-10, 12:46 PM   #1
Ashmani
A Defias Bandit
Grr..

So I've tried Curse and now this and there is one issue i have with both. Mod authors regularly fail to update their mods on all of the sites they have it posted. so I still end up having to manually install mods from several sites to get what I need.

Secondly this one asking me to update add-ons that are current.( i double checked)

Last edited by Ashmani : 09-10-10 at 12:58 PM.
09-10-10, 12:59 PM   #2
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I understand that this can be an inconvenience to you, but you have to look at it from an author's perspective.

You should be thankful that you are even getting updates at all. Or even the fact that there is an AddOn you enjoy that is available for you.

To make it easier, you can always use the WoWInterface Minion or the Curse Client.
09-10-10, 01:24 PM   #3
Ashmani
A Defias Bandit
You misunderstand me i'm not complaining about The Addon authors. i'm complaining about the fact that there isn't a single Client that will check the top sites or what ever and find the most current update. It means that these clients are while a nice idea frustrating in that they inevitably fall short of their desired function. And i understand the the developers of the these clients are limited in what they can do. so all i can do is what I've always done bookmark the relevant pages and manually install.

I apologize if I've offended anyone and I hope future updates will change my mind at some point.
09-10-10, 01:43 PM   #4
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

MMOUI Minion and Curse Client can conflict with "which AddOn is really up-to-date", so I suggest you stick with one or the other, and manually download any other updates from the other site.

As another alternative, and something that you can also have in tandem with one of the two clients, is the email updates. I do not know the specific process on Curse, but at WoWInterface, if you make an AddOn your Favorite (button under the big Download button), it will then email you (the email account you signed up with) when any updates are uploaded.
09-10-10, 05:41 PM   #5
Sythalin
Curse staff

The email is unreliable, sorry to say. I've lost count how many times I've checked in to find my update number glowing yet never receive an email. Another issue that comes up is different version numbers for the same addons on different sites. As suggested it's simply best to pick an updater and stick with it.
09-10-10, 06:12 PM   #6
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
The email is unreliable, sorry to say. I've lost count how many times I've checked in to find my update number glowing yet never receive an email. Another issue that comes up is different version numbers for the same addons on different sites. As suggested it's simply best to pick an updater and stick with it.
Weird I always get my emails (I tag a good amount as fav's so I know if the email is working or not) and I'm sure its working fine for Cralor that suggested it. I use gmail though and it does a great job getting me my mail.

Last edited by Dolby : 09-10-10 at 06:15 PM.
09-10-10, 06:31 PM   #7
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

Originally Posted by ChaosInc View Post
The addon update emails apparently look like they are dripping with evil things to email providers. I had to specifically add the [email protected] to my safe list (even though I had @wowinterface.com already added) AND even when I get these emails that I have specifically approved to receive I still get this red warning banner across the top of the email saying -

This message looks very suspicious to our SmartScreen filters, so we've blocked attachments, pictures, and links for your safety.
If only it were so aggressive with the ACTUAL phishing emails pretending to be Blizzard....

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]
09-10-10, 07:40 PM   #8
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Yeah .. i don't get email's about updates either ... I just check the site daily to see if I have any updates...

Just checked settings ..
These are unchecked .. would either one have naything to do with not getting the emails??
Receive Email from Administrators
Receive Email from Other Members

And as to the topic at hand.

I choose not to use the auto updaters. 95% of my addons come from here. It take all of a few minutes of my time to open a zip file and drag and drop a folder. Doing this prevents any bad things, like updating wrong addons with older versions, from happening. I feel I have better control and I like that.

Coming here allows me to see what the addon update actually does. I don't want to say install an update and find out the author changed something causing all settings to reset. Maybe the change is not important enough for me to update yet.

Also I can see what others have to say about the addon in it's comments.

Coming here also allows me to see what new addons are out.

And finally .. with such a great community and awesome admins it's fun to just stop by and see what the daily chatter is about.

Last edited by Sepioth : 09-10-10 at 07:51 PM.
09-10-10, 08:00 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
From any page (not on the forums), click the "Options" link in the header to open a menu. Then select "Email Feeds" from the menu, and "Preferences" from the following page. Ensure that you have the top option enabled if you want to receive the emails.

/edit: actually, you can even just select the "Preferences" entry in the menu >.< hehe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	favorites-email.PNG
Views:	453
Size:	491.3 KB
ID:	4821  
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-10-10, 09:35 PM   #10
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Hey .... thanks.

Kinda strange they have two different dropdown menus. All these options should be under the User Control Panel.

Thanks again.
09-10-10, 10:38 PM   #11
yssaril
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

i personally use both the curse client and wowinterface minion. in each i set addons to ignore that i want the other to update so that they do not conflict. this takes a bit to setup but once running its works pretty well (though i recommend against having both running at the exact same time)
09-10-10, 11:11 PM   #12
ffcloud2000
A Fallenroot Satyr
What i do is just use the WoWUIMinion here and then setup RSS feeds from WoWACE since curse doesn't support rss and just watch all the addons i don't get from here
09-11-10, 04:36 AM   #13
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

The regulars would know my updating of addons attitude

IE I'm a lazy SOB who will only update an addon if it's spewing Lua errors all over my UI. (*)

If it ain't broke why worry about fixing it ? Yes I know authors like to make updates for bugs and even to add features. I salute and respect them for that.

But I'm not really in a habit of updating my addons every single time I play. Sometimes I can go for a month without updating. Yeah I'm Lazy .... really Lazy (sorry hard working addon authors)

Nothing untowards has happened from me ignoring my addon email updates mail box for too long. At most it's a error or 2 logged in my BugSack updates that doesn't lag me out

(*) Or if the author lists something that sounds cool in the change log. Or if I need to test it for some reason.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
09-11-10, 09:23 AM   #14
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
I understand that this can be an inconvenience to you, but you have to look at it from an author's perspective.

You should be thankful that you are even getting updates at all. Or even the fact that there is an AddOn you enjoy that is available for you.

To make it easier, you can always use the WoWInterface Minion or the Curse Client.
Both clients have plenty of issues - so much so, I just manually update my addons.

No one has come up with an addon updater as good as the previous one that worked on WoWI and Curse - it just worked. I understand why WoWI and Curse disabled it's access to their sites and all (I guess), but yeah. Neither of them comes close to comparing.

Marth

09-11-10, 09:10 PM   #15
Ashmani
A Defias Bandit
currently I have both updaters installed. haven't' bothered to uninstall yet anyway. I was messing with curse's and found that I could add a column that listed the date of most recent update. If MMOUI had such a column. it would be much more handy. I could open both compare dates update individual mods with whichever site had the most recent.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Grr..