11-28-08, 06:47 AM   #1
Mechrior
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Question EU to US tranfers?

I was just wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to tranfer an EU account or character to the US account or server?

I ask as I would like to play with my american friends but not have to buy a completely new version of wow and start from scratch as I have all 3 collectors editions on my EU account!

Thanks for anyhelp anyone can give!

11-28-08, 06:57 AM   #2
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I honestly have no idea about this, and I think the best thing to do in this case is to directly contact customer support really. They will be able to give you the best answer to this question.
11-28-08, 08:57 AM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Mechrior View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to tranfer an EU account or character to the US account or server?

I ask as I would like to play with my american friends but not have to buy a completely new version of wow and start from scratch as I have all 3 collectors editions on my EU account!

Thanks for anyhelp anyone can give!
The best place to ask about this is over in Customer Service.
11-28-08, 03:36 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
iirc, no, you cannot.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-29-08, 08:07 AM   #5
Mechrior
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Unhappy

Hey seerah,

got my official blizz response in the mail this morning and no...... not able to Xfer to US..... kinda sux..... most people i know play US.

12-14-08, 12:05 AM   #6
sensory
A Fallenroot Satyr

You could however change your login server in the Config.wtf file.. you would be able to create characters on the US servers, you just wouldn't have your collector's edition pets, etc. available on those characters.

I think this still works.
12-14-08, 12:05 PM   #7
FrankN
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by sensory View Post
You could however change your login server in the Config.wtf file.. you would be able to create characters on the US servers, you just wouldn't have your collector's edition pets, etc. available on those characters.

I think this still works.
Iirc, you will not be able to connect as long as you do not pay for an additional US account, since your account name is registered for the european realms.
12-15-08, 06:04 AM   #8
dafire
Premium Member
you will need an US cdkey to create an US account.

it's not possible to transfer accounts or characters between us and eu.
12-15-08, 10:30 AM   #9
mrdummy
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
You can perhaps play on US server, but you must buy legal US Wow media. That means you must buy Wow disc from example American online shop Amazon.com. That gives you permission to join US servers.

But Blizzard don't want see players in EU goes to US. This is not good for population on US servers. EU players overloads US servers. And EU servers are more emptier. You have also higher ping and more risk for disconnections.

Another problem is the paying for account. EU had iDeal, has European banks, has EU game cards. Is you go to US server, you can only use creditcard.

What is more, why should you care so much about American friends? Are there no friends in Europe? What about some school mates? Even if you join a guild, you make already friends. And there are good players in Europe. There are good guilds. You don't need US to play good Wow.

And lucky there are some games to play worldwide. Eve and Albatross18 are both good examples. They accept both US and EU players. You can try both games, to play with American friends.
But Wow is very strict, just forget it, it gives you only more problems.
12-15-08, 12:30 PM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by mrdummy View Post
You can perhaps play on US server, but you must buy legal US Wow media. That means you must buy Wow disc from example American online shop Amazon.com. That gives you permission to join US servers.

But Blizzard don't want see players in EU goes to US. This is not good for population on US servers. EU players overloads US servers. And EU servers are more emptier. You have also higher ping and more risk for disconnections.

Another problem is the paying for account. EU had iDeal, has European banks, has EU game cards. Is you go to US server, you can only use creditcard.

What is more, why should you care so much about American friends? Are there no friends in Europe? What about some school mates? Even if you join a guild, you make already friends. And there are good players in Europe. There are good guilds. You don't need US to play good Wow.

And lucky there are some games to play worldwide. Eve and Albatross18 are both good examples. They accept both US and EU players. You can try both games, to play with American friends.
But Wow is very strict, just forget it, it gives you only more problems.
Whoa there, slow down.

First of all, you can use an EU client to access an active US account. The "CD key" is linked to the account NOT the client, you just have to edit the Realmlist.wtf file. In order to use a US/NA account, you do have to use a US/NA "CD Key" to create the account. However the OP would have to start fresh as you can't do EU to US/NA (or vice versa) character transfers.

Regarding payment, its likely he using a credit card or a debit card that uses the Visa/Mastercard system (Electron is a good example of this). He can also buy US Game Cards via eBay sellers. EDIT: I almost forgot this, your credit/debit card must have a US/Canadian billing address, non US/Canadian billing addresses will cause issues.

Regarding "why should you care so much about American friends?" and what drew my attention to your post. That is a pretty nasty statement. Ever stop to think that maybe many of his/her friends are US based? Maybe the poster is an American living overseas (as I am)? Maybe he wants to chat with people in-game regarding American only topics (such as the NFL, US politics and the like)?

Seriously before painting someone with such a broad brush, stop and think first. You did not supply the OP with an answer to his question, you just supplied some not so good reasons why not to play on a American server. The only really legitimate reason you supplied is the ping times/lag issue, however likely the poster is aware of this issue.

Last edited by Zyonin : 12-15-08 at 01:15 PM. Reason: forgot the bit about billing addresses
12-16-08, 06:56 AM   #11
dafire
Premium Member
Originally Posted by mrdummy View Post
well thats wrong ... you can download the wow client from blizzard or sites like fileplanet.

the only thing that counts is your account. you can create one with a cdkey from a box or you can start a trial and upgrade that account online.. but when you did that you can't switch eu/us with that account.
12-16-08, 08:17 AM   #12
weiyo
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
you can create a US-trial-account and login right away with your currently installed client, just need to change the realmlist.wtf. By experience you get 100-200 ms more, might differ though.
12-24-08, 10:36 PM   #13
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by rvalarian View Post
also, my original question was not answered and i am still curious. i thought altering game files was against the terms of service and a bannable offense?
A configuration file is not game data. A configuration file stores things like your video settings, your sound settings, your interface preferences (i.e. do you want to see nameplates? do you want to show party members while in a raid group?), and which character should be selected at the character screen. By contrast, data files store things like world environments, 3D models, skins, information about spell mechanics, and similar things. A configuration file stores things that are meant to be changable by users. Game data files store things that are not meant to be changable by users. So no, changing your client's config file to log onto a US server with an EU client is not against the ToS, and is not bannable.
12-26-08, 05:29 AM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Mechrior View Post
No. You cannot transfer between the two. However, you can change the realm list file as previously stated and create a new character to go play with your frends. No, it's not bannable or against the EULA, but it isn't officially supported either.
02-10-09, 06:12 AM   #15
khurzog
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
No. You cannot transfer between the two. However, you can change the realm list file as previously stated and create a new character to go play with your frends. No, it's not bannable or against the EULA, but it isn't officially supported either.
nice guild
03-09-09, 12:47 PM   #16
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Regarding payment, its likely he using a credit card or a debit card that uses the Visa/Mastercard system (Electron is a good example of this). He can also buy US Game Cards via eBay sellers. EDIT: I almost forgot this, your credit/debit card must have a US/Canadian billing address, non US/Canadian billing addresses will cause issues.
Speaking from experience as a US game account holder living abroad in France, I made payments with my French Visa debit card (currency in Euros, not Dollars) with no problems whatsoever. The address on my card was French too.

I just want to point this out so players don't make things more complicated for themselves dealing with unnecessary eBay auctions or money transfers.
03-10-09, 02:20 AM   #17
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Limb0 View Post
Speaking from experience as a US game account holder living abroad in France, I made payments with my French Visa debit card (currency in Euros, not Dollars) with no problems whatsoever. The address on my card was French too.

I just want to point this out so players don't make things more complicated for themselves dealing with unnecessary eBay auctions or money transfers.
It's possible that Blizzard has changed their ways, however in the past, if you used a non US billing address based credit card to pay for a US WoW subscription, the system would reject it.
03-10-09, 10:07 AM   #18
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
It's possible that Blizzard has changed their ways, however in the past, if you used a non US billing address based credit card to pay for a US WoW subscription, the system would reject it.
I was paying this way for several months last year, before WotLK. Of course things could have changed, but I'd still suggest at least trying your overseas credit card before making things more complicated for yourself (unless of course, you like those things). If your card wasn't accepted, I believe you would know instantly because you would be unable to log into your account. Trying this, you risk losing maybe 15 or 25 minutes as opposed to the days or weeks you'll lose trying to find game cards on eBay..

Maybe my account just slipped through Blizzard's cracks.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » EU to US tranfers?