04-14-11, 07:50 PM   #1
surfman
A Murloc Raider
Arrow Transfering Setup between wow installations

Hi

I want to transfer a setup from 1 character on one WoW installation (on say C: ) to another installation of WoW on D:

How can I do this ?

Please help or point me to a thread that shows this.

I have read all the help files and they dont show how to do this on different WoW installations.

Thanks
Surf

04-14-11, 11:20 PM   #2
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Hi

I want to transfer a setup from 1 character on one WoW installation (on say C: ) to another installation of WoW on D:

How can I do this ?

Please help or point me to a thread that shows this.

I have read all the help files and they dont show how to do this on different WoW installations.

Thanks
Surf
OK. But did you read (I mean actually read) the "CarboniteReadMe" plain text file that is in the main Carbonite folder at "Path to your WoW folder\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite"?

If you had, you would have found this (of course, I'm not positive this is what you're looking for, but it's all I could find):

-- Carbonite Transfer

CarboniteTransfer is a simple addon that is used to move Warehouse data between accounts. It will also be used to send and receive favorites in the future. You can delete it or disable it, although it takes almost no memory since it is empty until used.

In the Warehouse you right click the character list and select "Sync account transfer file" and any characters from your other synced accounts are imported from the CarboniteTransfer.lua file and characters in the current account are exported to the CarboniteTransfer.lua file. The file is then copied to the Savedvariables folder of another account, so you can sync the Warehouse data when you login with that account.

Transfering is a manual process, because addons cannot directly access files and can't see addon data from other accounts. You have to copy the CarboniteTransfer.lua file from one SavedVariables folder to another.

Example:

1 Login to any character using AccountA.

2 Select "Sync account transfer file" from the Warehouse menu.

3 Logout. Go back to Account Screen, which saves the CarboniteTransfer.lua file.

4 Copy WTF\Account\<AccountA>\SavedVariables\CarboniteTransfer.lua to WTF\Account\<AccountB>\SavedVariables\CarboniteTransfer.lua

5 Login to any character using AccountB.

6 Select "Sync account transfer file" from the Warehouse menu. AccountB will now have Warehouse data from AccountA.
Unfortunately, this information is easy to miss, since it seems that not a whole lot of Carbonite users know about that file even being there. It contains a lot of information about what Carbonite does, and how to set it up. In my opinion, it's a "must read" for any Carbonite user.

I'm not sure this would work, but you could go to the "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" folder for the account you want to copy the set up from, and find the "Carbonite.lua" file. Copy it, and paste it into the same spot in your other account. When you log into the character you want the set up copied to, just do it like you would on any other character. I really don't have any idea if this will work, but I figure it might be worth a try if the other way isn't what you are looking for. In the folder you are copying the file to, please first make sure to rename the "Carbonite.lua" file that is already there. That way if it doesn't work, at least you haven't lost the current set up you are using on that account. If it doesn't work, just delete the new file, and rename the original one back. It doesn't have to be fancy, either. Changing the "Carbonite.lua" file to "Carbonite_.lua" will be sufficient (and easily changed back).

The only other way I can think of is to use the old fashioned way: Pencil (or pen) and paper. Jot down the major settings, and just change the options around on the other character that way.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 04-14-11 at 11:52 PM.

04-15-11, 12:04 AM   #3
surfman
A Murloc Raider
Thank you

I will give that a try now and see if it is what I want to do.

regards
Surf

EDIT : No it doesnt work for me - When I try clicking on the "sync account transfer file" nothing happens. Tried it exactly how the guide said (Remember account ticked etc etc). Once when I tried it I did get a Carb error come up but that only happened once and cant get it to occur again.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by surfman : 04-15-11 at 02:27 AM.

04-15-11, 08:23 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Thank you

I will give that a try now and see if it is what I want to do.

regards
Surf

EDIT : No it doesnt work for me - When I try clicking on the "sync account transfer file" nothing happens. Tried it exactly how the guide said (Remember account ticked etc etc). Once when I tried it I did get a Carb error come up but that only happened once and cant get it to occur again.

Any other ideas?
"Account ticked"??? That's not in the instructions, but it makes no difference. While I don't have two separate accounts (on two different drives) on my computer, I decided to try the method outlined in the "CarboniteReadMe" just for curiosity. Yeah. It didn't work for me either. All I got was a blank "CarboniteTransfer.lua" file. OK, technically, the file was not "blank". There were 4 lines and of those, two were indeed blank (lines 1 and 4). I also got the error, and after logging out of the game, and restarting (you are supposed to go back to the account log-in screen , so I just logged out of WoW and quit back to the desktop [it's a habit]), I got it again. I also got it after doing a "/rl" (reloaded the UI) the second time around just to see if that might make a difference. It didn't.

So, OK, that currently doesn't work. Did you try the other solutions that I posted? As I explained, I don't know how copying the "Carbonite.lua" file between accounts will actually work, but it might be worth a try.

04-16-11, 10:55 PM   #5
surfman
A Murloc Raider
I'm not sure this would work, but you could go to the "Path to your WoW folder\WTF\Account\ACCOUNT NAME\SavedVariables\" folder for the account you want to copy the set up from, and find the "Carbonite.lua" file. Copy it, and paste it into the same spot in your other account. When you log into the character you want the set up copied to, just do it like you would on any other character.

Thank you so much - this worked - saved me setting it all up and now the (actually) 3 accounts have same settings.

Regards
Surf

04-18-11, 07:37 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Like I said, I just wasn't sure if that would work, or not. It's a good thing to know that it does, though. Thank you for posting that it does, indeed, work. Have fun WoWing!

04-18-11, 10:47 AM   #7
LarryGatlin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Transfer

another option could be to use Microsoft's SyncToy 2.1, and sync all accounts SavedVarible Directorys. I do this now as well as sync my Laptop to my desktop. This sets up both accounts essentially using one savedVariable directory, and sharing all information stored there. Disadvantage is if you run both accounts at same time. When you run one at a time, when you go back to logon to change accounts, run Synctoy before you relog back on.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Transfering Setup between wow installations