04-25-17, 11:49 AM   #1
OR14-NS
A Murloc Raider

Editing NamePlates and Chat Bubbles.

I'm was browsing pov's and found a very interesting videos of killing bosses from one guild. The interesting thing is that on the video they have frames attached to the nameplates in the form of circles, as it was before the patch 7.2 and changed the chat bubbles. On one of these videos they even changed the frendly nameplates. Actually the question is how? Is it third-party programs (cheats) or something I do not know?

I've been experimenting for a very long time with nameplates and chats bubbles, but I did not succeed, everything is forbidden. I searched a lot of information on the internet, but found nothing. So I decided to ask people who are already professionals in this.

Videos:
https://www.wowprogress.com/video/15...c--warlock-pov
https://www.wowprogress.com/video/15..._hunter-dd-pov
https://www.wowprogress.com/video/15..._hunter-dd-pov

The first kills of bosses: Augur on 2 April, Elisande on 18 April in accordance wowprogress and achievements in armory.

Last edited by OR14-NS : 04-25-17 at 07:19 PM.
04-25-17, 12:30 PM   #2
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Nameplate UI replacement, since the "Nameplate" object is protected, cannot be changed or safely tampered with in anyway, the only thing an author can do is skin it. This includes, but is not limited to, adding your own HP, MP, cast, etcetera to the default object. Those circles are anchored to the stripped down, they hid/removed the bars/name, default nameplate object. Same with the ends of each of those lines, anchor each end to a frame and the WoW API takes over.

Hope that helped.
04-25-17, 12:56 PM   #3
OR14-NS
A Murloc Raider

I did not understand how they attached these frames in the form of circles, or rather what, how they got the data about where to mark these frames? If after patch 7.2 receiving data about frendly nameplates and chat bubbles is forbidden when player is into dungeons and raids.

Last edited by OR14-NS : 04-25-17 at 01:02 PM.
04-25-17, 01:36 PM   #4
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Well now, I had to look this stuff up. Yeah, sounds to me like it should not be possible but I will continue my research.

Otherwise, so far as I can guess, they reverted to the old method of skinning nameplates by using the WorldFrame OnUpdate script. No way of testing without doing a dungeon/raid.
04-25-17, 01:52 PM   #5
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by OR14-NS View Post
Actually the question is how? Is it third-party programs (cheats) or something I do not know?

I have honestly no idea about nameplate anchoring or what Exorsus actually used, but it definitely isn't third-party programs (cheats). They were using the WoW API, maybe they just anchored Line objects?

Some people keep referring to it as WeakAuras scripts. Probably it's the same way addons like H.H.T.D. and I See You Too are anchoring stuff to nameplates. It sucks that chat bubbles also got protected besides the forbidden nameplates

Lua Code:
  1. -- does not account for nameplates being recycled
  2. local function ShowNamePlateTexture(unit)
  3.     local np = C_NamePlate.GetNamePlateForUnit(unit)
  4.     if np and not np.tex then
  5.         np.tex = CreateFrame("PlayerModel", nil, np)
  6.         np.tex:SetPoint("BOTTOM", np, "TOP")
  7.         np.tex:SetSize(200, 200)
  8.         np.tex:SetDisplayInfo(21723) -- Murloc Costume
  9.     end
  10. end

Last edited by Ketho : 04-25-17 at 02:33 PM.
04-25-17, 02:35 PM   #6
OR14-NS
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Ketho View Post
Lua Code:
  1. -- does not account for nameplates being recycled
  2. function ShowNamePlateTexture(unit)
  3.     local np = C_NamePlate.GetNamePlateForUnit(unit)
  4.     if np and not np.tex then
  5.         np.tex = CreateFrame("PlayerModel", nil, np)
  6.         np.tex:SetPoint("BOTTOM", np, "TOP")
  7.         np.tex:SetSize(200, 200)
  8.         np.tex:SetDisplayInfo(21723) -- Murloc Costume
  9.     end
  10. end
Function C_NamePlate.GetNamePlateForUnit() after realise patch 7.2 is not working in dungeons and raids, it return nil, function C_NamePlate.GetNamePlates works in dungeons and raids, but when I try to take from it the necessary data it throws an error ": SetPoint (): Attempt to access forbidden object from code tainted by An AddOn ", which confirms what I wrote above.

Last edited by OR14-NS : 04-25-17 at 02:54 PM.
04-25-17, 03:16 PM   #7
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Well, if you can use GetPoint and GetSize you can get its center point. If you cannot anchor things you may yet be able to put things in the same location on an OnUpdate script, thereby imitating an anchor.
04-25-17, 04:44 PM   #8
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have honestly no idea about nameplate anchoring or what Exorsus actually used, but it definitely isn't third-party programs (cheats). They were using the WoW API, maybe they just anchored Line objects?
There are programs that "unlock" the lua environment for the game, allowing you to do things through the addon api that you wouldn't normally be allowed to do.

Since they very clearly have friendly nameplates enabled and skinned in the third video that was linked, they are definitely not doing this without a third party program, or somehow bypassing the normal restrictions in the client.

Assuming these videos were in fact taken after 7.2, and since it's no longer possible to detect or modify friendly nameplates or chat bubbles in a raid, it doesn't leave a lot of possibilities.
04-25-17, 05:20 PM   #9
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Oh wow, they are still doing this after the 7.2 patch? ._.
04-25-17, 05:51 PM   #10
OR14-NS
A Murloc Raider

Oh wow, they are still doing this after the 7.2 patch? ._.
Yes exactly!

As I wrote above: The their first kills of bosses: Augur on 2 April, Elisande on 18 April in accordance wowprogress and achievements in armory.

And these videos are from these kills.

I apologize if I expressed myself incorrectly or not clearly.
04-26-17, 12:43 AM   #11
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They are definitely using something to remove the API protection, report them for using hacks.
04-26-17, 08:11 AM   #12
OR14-NS
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
They are definitely using something to remove the API protection, report them for using hacks.
Yes, then that's what I'll do.
05-09-17, 02:48 AM   #13
krich
A Murloc Raider
I already did something similar, need to finish it tho (drawing lines beetwen two similar marks)
05-09-17, 02:13 PM   #14
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you are doing that to friendly nameplates within a dungeon you are violating the ToS of the game and this forums rules, as it is impossible without external tools (hacks).
05-09-17, 05:00 PM   #15
krich
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by p3lim View Post
If you are doing that to friendly nameplates within a dungeon you are violating the ToS of the game and this forums rules, as it is impossible without external tools (hacks).
Im not using friendly nameplates , im attaching textures to chat bubbles (drawing lines beetwen same raid markers and hiding the bubble itself)
Anyway, seems like blizz is aware if it and in latest ptr they added code referíng bubbles:
Lua Code:
  1. local ChatBubblesLua =
  2. {
  3.     Name = "ChatBubbles",
  4.     Type = "System",
  5.     Namespace = "C_ChatBubbles",
  7.     Functions =
  8.     {
  9.         {
  10.             Name = "GetAllChatBubbles",
  11.             Type = "Function",
  13.             Arguments =
  14.             {
  15.                 { Name = "includeForbidden", Type = "bool", Nilable = false, Default = false },
  16.             },
  18.             Returns =
  19.             {
  20.                 { Name = "chatBubbles", Type = "table", InnerType = "ScriptObject", Nilable = false },
  21.             },
  22.         },
  23.     },
  25.     Events =
  26.     {
  27.     },
  29.     Tables =
  30.     {
  31.     },
  32. };
  34. APIDocumentation:AddDocumentationTable(ChatBubblesLua);

includeForbbiden seems like they protected bubbles aswell in 7.2.5 but as i said, it works the same way it used to work with nameplates , but bubbles are limited to 28yd~
06-14-17, 08:03 AM   #16
tordenflesk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by krich View Post
Im not using friendly nameplates , im attaching textures to chat bubbles (drawing lines beetwen same raid markers and hiding the bubble itself)
Anyway, seems like blizz is aware if it and in latest ptr they added code referíng bubbles:
Lua Code:
  1. local ChatBubblesLua =
  2. {
  3.     Name = "ChatBubbles",
  4.     Type = "System",
  5.     Namespace = "C_ChatBubbles",
  7.     Functions =
  8.     {
  9.         {
  10.             Name = "GetAllChatBubbles",
  11.             Type = "Function",
  13.             Arguments =
  14.             {
  15.                 { Name = "includeForbidden", Type = "bool", Nilable = false, Default = false },
  16.             },
  18.             Returns =
  19.             {
  20.                 { Name = "chatBubbles", Type = "table", InnerType = "ScriptObject", Nilable = false },
  21.             },
  22.         },
  23.     },
  25.     Events =
  26.     {
  27.     },
  29.     Tables =
  30.     {
  31.     },
  32. };
  34. APIDocumentation:AddDocumentationTable(ChatBubblesLua);

includeForbbiden seems like they protected bubbles aswell in 7.2.5 but as i said, it works the same way it used to work with nameplates , but bubbles are limited to 28yd~
Is this why the font doesn't change in dungeons even though I've set ChatBubbleFont?
06-14-17, 06:54 PM   #17
krich
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
Is this why the font doesn't change in dungeons even though I've set ChatBubbleFont?
Yes. Everything about bubbles is now protected in dung/raids
06-15-17, 01:52 AM   #18
ztn
A Kobold Labourer
so now every method "anchoring to player" is dead or we still have some?
06-15-17, 04:33 AM   #19
krich
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by ztn View Post
so now every method "anchoring to player" is dead or we still have some?
Theres a way , it requires custom healthbars and theres nothing public (most of top guilds will hide this method until they clear the content) yet
06-15-17, 04:55 AM   #20
tordenflesk
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by krich View Post
Yes. Everything about bubbles is now protected in dung/raids
Seems a rather hamfisted way of doing it. How does using the defined font "cheat"?

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Editing NamePlates and Chat Bubbles.