12-12-09, 09:16 AM   #1
Kurz
A Kobold Labourer
[Suggestion]: Installer

According to the guide, many users have trouble installing the AddOn.

You could create an auto-extracting RAR, since you can find the Game Path in the Windows Registry (I'm on WinXP) here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft
under GamePath.
You just should copy the entire text string and cut the last 12 characters from the end, that would leave you on [driveath\path\world of warcraft\] and you just need to add [interface\addons\]

hope it's useful =)

12-14-09, 04:44 AM   #2
Doomlord
A Theradrim Guardian

It's just as simple as installing any other addon. Copy all the 3 folders in your Interface/AddOns folder.

12-14-09, 10:21 AM   #3
Harshmage
Different

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Post Exes pose threats (if you don't know where you're getting them from)

Originally Posted by Doomlord View Post
It's just as simple as installing any other addon. Copy all the 3 folders in your Interface/AddOns folder.
You have a point, but I understand what Kurz is saying. However, there is more to doing .exe's than just doing a self-extracting.
I don't trust .exes for my addons. It's just not the way it should be done. I do not need to have an addon write registry entries, or intrude into my system in any way. There's more security in a .zip or .rar than there is in an .exe.
Think of it this way: How many .exes have you ever received in an email, claiming to be a legitimate file, only to have them turn out to be a Trojan of some sort? While the Carbonite team could package an official .exe, who's to say someone won't duplicate the file name on their Trojan-GameThief.Win32 (We just had that trojan start being passed around my workplace. It's everywhere.).
Just stick with the .zip/.rar/.tgz file format, and you're safe.

12-14-09, 10:47 AM   #4
HardyMacia
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
Installing addons are simple, but it would be nice if they made it part of curse updater or wowmatrix or something (wow interface have anything yet?). I don't want to hear my wife complaining about how she doesn't know how to install it.

It should be point and click, and she can run the addon installer to update all her addons before playing so she know she's up to date.

12-14-09, 11:43 AM   #5
Enerla
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Doomlord View Post
You seem to be a support person for an addon, so you might have the experience needed to install addons, but not all WoW players are experienced users. For some, installing and updating addons, when they get a dialog asking about overwriting, can be something alien.

A WinRar based installer probably wouldn't help much, and would pose a security threat.

An automated addon installer / updater (like curseclient) that can autoupdae the database and with permission from the user can upload your own gathered data to the server would have additional uses.

Wowecon has such functionality.

The key problem is: multiple third party launchers would be a problem, and we often use addons from different sources. Including curse, wowinterface, wowace, wowecon, etc...

Making a single updater / installer that can work with multiple services (comercial and free) would be nice, and if it would allow patching addons (and updating them that way) instead of just redownloading the whole thing (usually on patch day) it could be profitable for all.

It would help people who are now intimidated by the process of installing addons to sites, and some of them would buy premium access to involved sites.

12-14-09, 12:59 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Our updater forum with a link to its download/info page and all discussion about it:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/f...play.php?f=124

A guide on how to install addons, written step by step, including a video walkthrough, and common problems/solutions:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14762
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-14-09, 03:18 PM   #7
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I wrote an auto updater once and it was not simple. A variety of OS and permissions issues came up. Not something we plan on doing again. As Seerah pointed out, Wowinteface has an updater program, so I would try that.

12-14-09, 11:42 PM   #8
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Installing Carbonite is dead simple, it's just that Windows Vista made this quite complicated for some people, and also a lot of people running Carbonite are not running any other addons, so are unfamiliar with how to install even under Windows XP.

You could create an auto-extracting RAR, since you can find the Game Path in the Windows Registry (I'm on WinXP) here:
That would be huge waste of time, and as a Mac player, I would much prefer they spent their development time on the add-on and not on hand-holding Windows people through basic computer use.

12-14-09, 11:49 PM   #9
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Enerla View Post
You seem to be a support person for an addon, so you might have the experience needed to install addons, but not all WoW players are experienced users. For some, installing and updating addons, when they get a dialog asking about overwriting, can be something alien.
If a user cannot figure out how to install an add-on then they shouldn't install and add-on, it's that simple. If you don't know what's going on with your computer, then get someone who does know to help you.

You should not run programs from unknown sources (and sorry, anyone on any add-on site is 'unknown') under any circumstances anyway. The need and prevalence of executable installers is precisely why so many Windows users have their machines laden with spyware, viruses, botnet hosting programs, kiddie-****, and stealth torrent clients, etc.

It would help people who are now intimidated by the process of installing addons to sites, and some of them would buy premium access to involved sites.
The complete lack of such a program from WowInterface is one of the key reasons that I spend my time here and not at the hell-hole that is curse.com with the BS installers and flash download buttons and multi-step download procedures. I'd much prefer if WoWInerface did not become curse. But still, that would be a discussion for the wowinterface forums, not for this forum.

12-16-09, 03:13 AM   #10
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I love the look and feel of Wowinterface. The dark backgrounds with light text are how I like to read text. White backgrounds burn my eyes.

12-16-09, 04:53 AM   #11
Doomlord
A Theradrim Guardian

Adding Carbonite to the Curse database too would indeed be marvelous. I don't even understand what's keeping you guys from doing it already :s

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » [Suggestion]: Installer