07-30-09, 03:02 PM   #1
Nocturna
A Fallenroot Satyr
Feature Enhancement: Map Notes & Gotos

Hi,

I like Carbonite. I have urged my Guildies to uninstall memory-hoggy Quest Helper and switch to Carbonite. MANY of my Guildies have done so (we have well over 400 members). In short, I am a big fan of this addon and am actively promoting it as a QuestHelper and Cartographer replacement.

However, I have a couple of "enhancement" requests (more like "Remove Impairments" IMHO) that would SO enhance its functionality for me and, presumably, for all others:

Remove Note and GoTo restrictions

When I right-click on the map to establish a GoTo or a Note, I am unable to do either if any of the following conditions is true:

1. The spot is inside a map-displayed quest-objective area, whether that quest is being tracked or not;
2. The spot coincides with my current location;
3. The spot coincides with any number of other "spots" such as location of a friend or Guildie, location of a "point of interest" etc.

When any of the above conditions is true and I right-click on or even near any of those spots, the mini-menu that pops up does NOT include the option to add a note, or, in some situations, to establish a GoTo.

I humbly submit that this is a silly restriction, and greatly impairs the utility of the map functions- I FREQUENTLY want to mark my present position with a note- but I can't. I FREQUENTLY want to set a note in the middle of a quest objective area, but I can't. I FREQUENTLY want to set a a Note OR a GoTo on top of myself, a party member or a Guildie, but I can't.

Suggestion: add "modifier" functionality on <Shift+Right-Click> (or <Ctrl+Rt-Clk>, etc. etc.) that suppresses/bypasses/ignores ALL existing programmatic restrictions on setting notes or GoTo's and pops up the "normal" [Right-Clicked Map] menu as if I had right-clicked on a complete wilderness area with no players, POIs or quest objective areas associated with it.

Allow "Instant" User Control over Party-Member quest tracking

The instant I group with anyone for any reason, my tracked-quests display bloats to include all of their quests, and IT IS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO DISTINGUISH THEIR QUESTS FROM MINE! So I open my Quest Log to try to "untrack" all of their quests, and find that IT DOESN'T MATTER! Their quests are going to clutter up my screen no matter what I do!

Even worse, 16 Gazillion little yellow question marks pop onto MY map showing all quest-completion points for ALL PARTY MEMBER QUESTS WHETHER I HAVE ANY INTEREST IN THEM OR NOT! These party-member question-mark symbols are INDISTINGUISHABLE from my own and I can't turn them off easily, other than by dropping out of the Group.

There are MANY reasons why players group up besides to help each other complete quests, ESPECIALLY at level 80- Mages selling Portals, Enchanters selling enchants, etc. etc. Late at night, I frequently like to group up with a friend just to chat with them privately using Party chat instead of Guild chat, while at the same time soloing my dailies or other quests, as they continue to solo theirs, thousands of miles away- but Carbonite makes that almost impossible by cluttering up BOTH of our displays with each others' quest info, in which we have ZERO interest, and which greatly impairs our own ability to use Carbonite to just solo around doing whatever.

Suggestion: Add an easily-accessed hot-keyed toggle to enable/disable display of party members' quests on my screen or in my Quest Log. Yes, I know, I can turn it off in "Options," but that takes some time and, frankly, some fiddling around to find it. A hot-key such as <Ctrl+Q> (or whatever) would be SO much more user-friendly.

Thank you.

Nocturna of Arygos
<Dignitas>

PS: As info, I am a PAID subscriber, having purchased the entire package just before you folks stopped charging for the addon.

Last edited by Nocturna : 07-30-09 at 03:49 PM.

07-31-09, 03:32 AM   #2
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Nocturna View Post
1. The spot is inside a map-displayed quest-objective area, whether that quest is being tracked or not;
Click the green "Show quest areas" button on your Quest Watch window.

2. The spot coincides with my current location;
3. The spot coincides with any number of other "spots" such as location of a friend or Guildie, location of a "point of interest" etc.
Zoom in on that location and click just outside the default icon's position, OR hold down the corresponding hotkey for hiding those icons - I think it's Shift, if not, try CTRL or ALT.

The instant I group with anyone for any reason, my tracked-quests display bloats to include all of their quests, and IT IS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE TO DISTINGUISH THEIR QUESTS FROM MINE!
Turn off Party Quests in your Quest Watch window, I think the button is white. It's the right-most of the round buttons at least.

PS: As info, I am a PAID subscriber, having purchased the entire package just before you folks stopped charging for the addon.
Has no bearing on anything at all, subscribers don't get more help than anyone else. The addon is free, regardless if you support it or not. The very term "subscriber" is in fact faulty by now, you're not subscribing to anything. Thank Blizzard for that.

There we go, all of your problems solved. These things and more are covered in a file you've downloaded called ReadMe.txt, look for it in your Carbonite folder under ../World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns/

Best regards,
Jigain

Last edited by Jigain : 07-31-09 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Defining the term "subscriber".

08-01-09, 03:39 PM   #3
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As Jigain said, zooming in is how you would currently do it.

The is no restriction on setting a note at you current location, since the player arrow does not interact with the mouse. It only depends on what is under your arrow. Hold shift key to see under the arrow.

The "Show Party Quests" button is white.

After evaluation I decided it could be added easily enough and did. It was not a restriction, but lack of code for map icons, which have separate menus and different mouse handling, to be able to handle a "Add Note" command.

This will be in next version:

Added "Add Note" item to the popup menus for general and quest map icons.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Feature Enhancement: Map Notes & Gotos